***There are jobs here***

Man of Honour
Excellent thread idea :)

My issue is that I have a 2.2 undergraduate degree, which immediately rules me out for all the best firms.
For instance, my Masters degree that I'm currently studying for aligns me perfectly for the job Kreeeee posted, but I know that the 'big 4' will reject me in the first round of sifting.

I hid my undergrad degree for a company I applied to last year, and only mentioned my result when I was asked explicitly in the final round interview. I got a phone call from them this week saying they don't normally accept people with a 2.2 degree, but would like to interview me with a few business teams to see who I would be best suited to once I've completed my masters. Basically saying, your a good enough candidate normally, but we're not quite sure if your good enough to make us bend the rules. I had a very similar experience last year (though far more annoying), where I had signed a contract for an investment bank, which was then withdrawn when I got my degree result.

Advice?

There is a degree of leeway, as it is typically a way of setting a minimum entry requirement to limit the number of applicants. Your masters will trump your undergraduate degree and a 2:2 masters will certainly at least get you a chat with someone.

If you are particularly well aligned with our values and technical requirements then it is much less of an issue. Get in touch in a more private setting if you want to discuss it further.

Soldato
Yeah I should be fine when I have a couple of years behind me, just need to get my foot in the door :)
Shame engineers are so undervalued in this country.
True, but it also means its a great time to train as an engineer. My friends who study it don't seem to be finding job searching too difficult, and the guy I know whos doing a PhD in it is thinking of dropping out because hes started to get head hunted already.

Get in touch in a more private setting if you want to discuss it further.

Thanks, messaged in trust.

Caporegime
Right, definitely time to get out of this science ****

All these jobs are basically IT/engineering.

Damn my background and lack of funding to do a second degree!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right, definitely time to get out of this science ****

All these jobs are basically IT/engineering.

Damn my background and lack of funding to do a second degree!

Don't forget, this forum is probably dominated by people within that area of industry, thus most jobs showing up here are of that sector.

Science degree is about not just knowing your field in that particular degree, if you're flexible enough, there are plenty of jobs opened to you.

I'm a Pharmaceutical Science grad, got into food industry by chance and even though jobs are asking for 'Food Technologist', I still applied as my skill set that I learnt from my science degree allows me to approach scenario logically, analyse and methodically solve it.

It's the same with IT/Engineers, they can come into food manufacturing. The factory isn't going to run itself.

Associate
What can you do?

Funnily enough back when i was unemployed, (before my first ever job), i had no proof of what i would be capable of.
My desire for a job, any job, would have made me an excellent employee for dozens of establishments though.

It's a pity that there's the culture of experience needed before you get experience.

Soldato
What can you do?

Hmm, I can drive, I can speak four languages fluently, have a GCSE in another and 2 years teaching in yet another. I can read arabic too.

I have 6 years experience in managing an SME (import, export, sales to public and private sector)

I have some experience in the motor trade.
I guess I have good travelling skills if that counts?

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough back when i was unemployed, (before my first ever job), i had no proof of what i would be capable of.
My desire for a job, any job, would have made me an excellent employee for dozens of establishments though.

It's a pity that there's the culture of experience needed before you get experience.

It is a vicious circle which is hard to break.

Personally I would do something drastic to make yourself visible / stand out to whatever company you have in mind, be it working for them for 'free' to gain experience or if they have funds, put you on a short contract to see how you flare.
Wear a sandwich board and make noise outside?

Or go down the route of underemployment (factory work?) and gain new experience but work on leadership and communications - manage people and hitting KPIs shows experience in that area which is used in many sectors. Make sure you set your sights beyond getting comfortable!

Associate
I like the look of this thread.....subbed.

Also, does it work the other way as in if someone is looking for a job in a specific role and geographic location then someone on here can match them up too???

A bit like if someone was looking for a Project / Engineering Management role down in the South West area, specifically the Plymouth area ;):p

Back
Top Bottom