***There are jobs here***

Soldato
I've advertised on gumtree for self employed drivers over in N.I and up nr Glasgow.

2 examples of responses.

Example 1 (Not Verbatim)

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm 25 yrs old have a full clean driving licence I am registered as self employed, am available straight away. I am also used to working to deadlines and understand how important your timed deliveries are.

I live very close to where your proposed round will start so will be able to cut down on dead mileage.

I'm eager to start and will provide my own cover for the rare times I'm unavailable (Holidays etc)

Followed immediately afterwards by

Example 2 (Verbatim)

Hi
Seen your ad id be interest ed 2 now more giz a bell on **********

Come on make some kind of effort.

I've had over 500 emails showing interest but only about 50 would even make a shortlist

I know its only driving so not very skilled but we are working within a very professional industry

Soldato
OP
I like the look of this thread.....subbed.

Also, does it work the other way as in if someone is looking for a job in a specific role and geographic location then someone on here can match them up too???

A bit like if someone was looking for a Project / Engineering Management role down in the South West area, specifically the Plymouth area ;):p

Nice try :p

I don't think it'll work quite as well because every Tom, Dick and Harry will drop a line here. Specific job for people to view and apply if interested. Last thing we want is a load of this...

Example 2 (Verbatim)

Hi
Seen your ad id be interest ed 2 now more giz a bell on **********

Soldato
Hmm, I can drive, I can speak four languages fluently, have a GCSE in another and 2 years teaching in yet another. I can read arabic too.

I have 6 years experience in managing an SME (import, export, sales to public and private sector)

I have some experience in the motor trade.
I guess I have good travelling skills if that counts?

And your 6 years management experience you don't count as having a job?

You sound eminently employable just from the languages side of things, no idea what translators are paid though. As for your worth, it's whatever someone is willing to pay to employ you for whatever of your skills they need.

Soldato
Funnily enough back when i was unemployed, (before my first ever job), i had no proof of what i would be capable of.
My desire for a job, any job, would have made me an excellent employee for dozens of establishments though.

It's a pity that there's the culture of experience needed before you get experience.

When hiring I don't really care about experience, I care about whether or not I think you can do the job.

Unfortunately, the skills I am looking for tend to ONLY come about through experience, and the odd really, properly, bright graduate who had some amaze-balls placement year.

Soldato
Experience..Meh

My mrs is doing a masters in socialwork.
Some numpty has decided that newly qualified Social workers must have a reduced workload. Sounds good in theory

In practice
Who's going to employ someone who is only allowed to do half the work.

Soldato
This is actually a good idea for a thread

Maybe, finally, Jaffa_Far can get a job ? :D

Id post jobs but our company only recruit interally, Im looking for other work soon so will keep an eye on this thread.

Soldato
Useful thread, I'm looking for a job at the moment. Unfortunately I'm in the position where I'm not currently employed because I moved from the South of England up to the North-East of Scotland in mid-December, so I'm hoping potential employers aren't just seeing that I'm not currently employed and ignoring me because of it.

Also annoying is that my degree (2:1 Police Studies) is essentially useless now because I graduated about 4 years ago, and my only real experience is 3 and a half years in retail (mostly as a Team Leader, then as Stock/Merchandising Controller) which isn't an area I have any intention of going back to, so I'm essentially trying to start all over again.

Soldato
OP
Useful thread, I'm looking for a job at the moment. Unfortunately I'm in the position where I'm not currently employed because I moved from the South of England up to the North-East of Scotland in mid-December, so I'm hoping potential employers aren't just seeing that I'm not currently employed and ignoring me because of it.

Also annoying is that my degree (2:1 Police Studies) is essentially useless now because I graduated about 4 years ago, and my only real experience is 3 and a half years in retail (mostly as a Team Leader, then as Stock/Merchandising Controller) which isn't an area I have any intention of going back to, so I'm essentially trying to start all over again.

You did a BSc (Hons)? With team leader experience, and stock controlling, have you tried looking into you local factory jobs as a temporary earner whilst you look for other jobs?

Being in employment is better than not, no matter how mediocre.

With your analytical skills aquired from your degree, even if it's not 'Police' related, it's still valuable. Statistical, numbering skills are vital for high grade jobs. From these experience, you can build up and step on to better jobs or internally, promote to better positions

Don't give up because you line of work isn't available. BTW, I really don't understand the mentality of Degree XXXX must mean a job in XXXX sector. Flexibility and quick learning is better than just a focused skill - unless we're talking deep research like Pharmaceutcals.

Last edited:
Soldato
You did a BSc (Hons)? With team leader experience, and stock controlling, have you tried looking into you local factory jobs as a temporary earner whilst you look for other jobs?

Being in employment is better than not, no matter how mediocre.

Absolutely, but I'd rather not go back to retail or anything like that; 3 and a half years of doing a job I know I wasn't meant to do took its toll on me as a person, and I'm not going to repeat the cycle now that I've moved 550 miles to get away from it!

Currently looking for anything admin/office based that I can start on to build some experience, with the aim to get from the private sector into the public sector (policing) and hopefully, eventually, start doing the sort of thing my degree was about.

Soldato
Thought this would be the place to ask a quick question.

Would you list all your qualifications in a job application, meaning is it worth listing GCSE's if you have a professional qualification related to the job?

Soldato
Thought this would be the place to ask a quick question.

Would you list all your qualifications in a job application, meaning is it worth listing GCSE's if you have a professional qualification related to the job?

No, don't list them. If you insist on having them on there, put something like "8 GCSEs including Maths and English" or something similar.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'll bring this forward again - hope it's been useful for people looking for jobs.

Over the last week, there's been a flurry of speculative send to me regarding jobs in the West and North Yorkshire via Linkedin. My experience is modest but there's definitely aload of agency looking for candidates on Linkedin.

http://www.linkedin.com/

Make sure you have an up to date Linkedin profile, with appropriate contact details ([email protected] is an example of what not to have for an email address!) and don't use it like Facebook - posting personal status is silly on a professional page!

alx

alx

Soldato
Thought I'll bring this forward again - hope it's been useful for people looking for jobs.

Over the last week, there's been a flurry of speculative send to me regarding jobs in the West and North Yorkshire via Linkedin. My experience is modest but there's definitely aload of agency looking for candidates on Linkedin.

http://www.linkedin.com/

Make sure you have an up to date Linkedin profile, with appropriate contact details ([email protected] is an example of what not to have for an email address!) and don't use it like Facebook - posting personal status is silly on a professional page!

Agreed, lots of recruiters use Linkedin these days and it's not unusual to get interview/job offers via the site (it's how I got my current job). Make sure your profile has the relevant key words to match your experience/role, makes it easier for recruiters etc to find you when they're searching for people to match a particular job/role.

Back
Top Bottom