This Instant And Moment - 2024!

Currently sitting in Burger King, just as i got my food and sat down someone in his 60’s or so came through the door and went straight to me and said “I am hungry, can you buy me some food?” I looked at him and half of what he said hasn’t really set in and gave him a blank look. He asked again “I am hungry, can you buy me some food?”

I looked at his brand new clean (beige colour) coat, clean jeans, and trainers that are more expensive and newer than mine and he also had a newish sling bag over his shoulder, and said “No”.

He then walked over to a group of elderly people and asked the same thing…who told him no and then he walked out.

WTH.
What a weirdo!

Soldato
My Niece has work experience next week one town over, 5 miles away. Apparently there is no way of getting there or back without being dropped off and delivered by mother, and mum has work so can't do the pickup.

Taxi? No the driver might be a predator
Train? she might forget to get off 2 stops later
Bus? Enough said tbh but it is equally as good as the train in terms of travel time but is less frequent.
Bicycle? No there is a 'dangerous' dual carriageway (google maps has a nice new cycle lane on it). I look for alternatives and this national cycle route runs parallel and drops you off outside the place https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/7PY84D_d7K23mbFa2F2yymhHCx1WJNddYqU1OgtrRDo-1536x2048.jpg nope, not good enough, she might get lost.

What have we done in this world that a 15 year old needs chaperoning by a parent 24/7? What hope do teenagers have of being productive in the workplace if they can't get somewhere independently?

Soldato
My Niece has work experience next week one town over, 5 miles away. Apparently there is no way of getting there or back without being dropped off and delivered by mother, and mum has work so can't do the pickup.

Taxi? No the driver might be a predator
Train? she might forget to get off 2 stops later
Bus? Enough said tbh but it is equally as good as the train in terms of travel time but is less frequent.
Bicycle? No there is a 'dangerous' dual carriageway (google maps has a nice new cycle lane on it). I look for alternatives and this national cycle route runs parallel and drops you off outside the place https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/7PY84D_d7K23mbFa2F2yymhHCx1WJNddYqU1OgtrRDo-1536x2048.jpg nope, not good enough, she might get lost.

What have we done in this world that a 15 year old needs chaperoning by a parent 24/7? What hope do teenagers have of being productive in the workplace if they can't get somewhere independently?
Sounds like niece's parents are the issue

Soldato
Sounds like niece's parents are the issue

I think it is 50/50 but I honestly despair at the uselessness of it and the pandering. I never had the option of bus, train or taxi for mine, I jumped on my bike and made my way there myself along busy roads, none of this beautiful countryside she has access to. Hopefully she enjoys being in detention all week if that is the alternative (detention was the alternative when I was in school 20 years ago!)

I told her she will have a lodger upstairs forever if things don't change now. :cry:

Soldato
Well the Mum has arranged for her to take a bus with another pupil from the school (there and back). 3 hours until my niece hears the good news. :p

Back
Top Bottom