This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Status
Not open for further replies.
would be interesting to know to what extent facebook employees /content advisers(AI?) inform police, or,their own department, scanning web.
(the case during covid of police getting updates on illicit raves was similarly social media intelligence I thought)

Anyone remember when the individual police officer used to have their own discretion whether to arrest or not?

I'm pro the old style policing when they treated everyone equally and weren't just drones.

I'm not sure how you think giving police discretion gets to your stated aim of treating people equally. Being able to diverge from standards, due to personal discretion, directly reduces the chance of being treated equally.

Police arrest man for making a post against Palestinian flags flying on Bethnal Green (a Jewish area).

Anyone remember when the individual police officer used to have their own discretion whether to arrest or not?

I'm pro the old style policing when they treated everyone equally and weren't just drones.

This is really really bad, what a disgrace

I'm not sure how you think giving police discretion gets to your stated aim of treating people equally. Being able to diverge from standards, due to personal discretion, directly reduces the chance of being treated equally.
I'm not saying it was the best system. But these days people are taught not to think and to just follow orders.

I think having no discretion gives the decision making power to an unaccountable person sitting far away. That person can't read the room, or get real time feed back.

There is discretion. But not by the attending police.

Police arrest man for making a post against Palestinian flags flying on Bethnal Green (a Jewish area).

Good afternoon. Under what law was this man arrested? My limited knowledge of the public order legislation tells me that it cannot be breached on private property. And does this kind of behaviour by the police breach Article 10 of the 1998 HRA -- "freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers" (an extract from the EHRC website). Ed.

Another couple for you.

Several years back, I was drafted down to Bradford for what we call mutual aid as West Yorkshire Police asked for extra boots on the ground with the reason being that the far right were marching and protesting in an area that had a high Asian population, and trouble was expected as you can imagine.

I was posted to an area which protected a left wing counter protest group, and despite some world class attempts by far right infiltrators in Burberry and associated attire, that bit went fairly smoothly.

Later on, I was walking in the area with a colleague near to our bus and we were in full public order kit, minus the lid, and wearing caps when we got talking to three Asian lads after one heard my accent and asked what we were doing there. We got talking to these lads and were talking about everything except that ills of the world and cars, football, cricket etc were the talking points and we were having good craic with them until a left wing squad stood between us and them and told the lads not to talk to the police as they would be arrested. I politely pointed out that Toyota MR2 Turbo imports and Newcastle United weren't prescribed entities but it fell on deaf ears and they countered on before leaving and handed the lads their rights on cards. Strangeley enough, not a camera was in sight. The Asian lads took it in good humour and we all shook hands before going out separate ways.

A couple of years ago, I was involved in policing another protest relating to immigration. Despite numerous warnings, around half a dozen were arrested for obstruction of the highway, and I remember being a windy and wet day. I was again. on public order duties but I had the plum job of driving a riot van and avoiding the weather. One of the people arrested was a lass who was around 30 years old and bless her, she looked like a drowned rat when being led to the cage area to the back of the van prior to another transport vehicle arriving to take her to a station. I shouted at the arresting cops the put her in the back of the van I was in but not the cage as the heaters were on and in she came. The same lass saw that there was a slab of water on the bus and ever so politely asked if she could have one as she hadn't had fluids in hours. Help yourself was the reply as she was not handcuffed, and she was no bother. I don't want money or medals for this as it's the right thing to do, but again there wasn't a camera in sight. There were loads being waved about while confrontation was going on, but the media and certain groups do not like any coverage of police doing the right thing, and this is something that irks me at times.

Arrest discretion still very much exists, and if you mean old style as in pre-PACE days, then believe me in that the current system is far better.

Arrest discretion still very much exists, and if you mean old style as in pre-PACE days, then believe me in that the current system is far better.
I'm thinking you have some experience in the field so I'll give way to your experience.

It is good to know that arrest discretion is there. I just can't understand why it isn't used more. Unless someone is using threatening language then these social media post situations would likely have resulted in a talking to.

I'm thinking you have some experience in the field so I'll give way to your experience.

It is good to know that arrest discretion is there. I just can't understand why it isn't used more. Unless someone is using threatening language then these social media post situations would likely have resulted in a talking to.
Discretion is used daily, but it just isn't reported.

It's still an offence to be drunk in a public place and also for drunk people to be served alcohol, but it goes on in every town and city, pub and club in the country. You couldn't realistically arrest them all as it would be bad PR in my book, and also a logistical impossibility due to sheer numbers.

The main offences these days where discretion is minimal to none is anything domestic related. For example, if an assault on someone is suspected and even if the victim doesn't want to make a complaint then positive action would be taken by arrest and, if the evidence was there, an evidence led prosecution sought through the CPS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom