This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A golliwog isn't illegal to have. The police were doing this kind of thing 20+ years ago with the result they had to hand them back.

They also were trying to confiscate the English flag from a persons flag pole because a passer-by was offended and made a complaint.

Do you have a source at all that says this is true about the England flag?

Last edited:
A golliwog isn't illegal to have.

Neither are Nazi flags, or pictures of lynchings, or a big sign saying "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish". There's a substantial difference between displaying something in your pub and owning it.

As it happens, I have a Golliwog doll. It was hand-crotched for me by my mum when I was little, back in the days when jam-jars had collectible Gollywog stickers on them. I loved that thing, and I'm damned if I'm going to get rid of it. But I'm also not going to put in the window or hang it on the wall - or set it up hung by its neck and post jokes about it.

Context matters.

Certainly it appears the police consider the flying of the Confederate flag a "hate crime" in Bishop's Stortford and demanded the owner remove it. It seems we around here are a more tolerant lot and my next door neighbour's Confederate flag is flown with impunity. Hate crime is so open ended and subject to interpretation as to be a licence for the professionally offended to run amok. Having such laws on the statute book is an admission that governments have allowed situations to develop that a notable number of people dislike and the silencing of outward shows of resentment is having to be silenced by law. That resentment then festers and grows.

Last edited:
my next door neighbour's Confederate flag
stevecarrell-the-office.gif

Do you have a source at all that says this is true about the England flag?
This isn't the incident I was talking about as for some reason Google on mobile seems to limit the filter settings.

This isn't the incident I was talking about as for some reason Google on mobile seems to limit the filter settings.

Not only is that not the same but we only have the guys word for it.

"I laughed because I thought he was joking, but then I realised he was serious so I had to take it down straight away. I thought it was silly - it's my country and I want to show my support for my country."

Neither are Nazi flags, or pictures of lynchings, or a big sign saying "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish". There's a substantial difference between displaying something in your pub and owning it.

As it happens, I have a Golliwog doll. It was hand-crotched for me by my mum when I was little, back in the days when jam-jars had collectible Gollywog stickers on them. I loved that thing, and I'm damned if I'm going to get rid of it. But I'm also not going to put in the window or hang it on the wall - or set it up hung by its neck and post jokes about it.

Context matters.
Yes it does. But it's still not illegal.

If we start going down this path we'll end up with laws like Humza tried (I think he failed?) to bring in of wanting to outlaw racist conversations inside people's private homes(Scotland). You'd be next in line to arrested for the golliwog.

I don't own anything like that.

There was a case in Bramhall years ago where someone complained that the Union Jack painted on someone's garage door was offensive to whoever, the council apparently "suggested" he paint it over. It was still there last time I went past.

It always seems to be our younger citizens who take offence, often perhaps altruistically, often perhaps not, on "behalf" of parties who themselves seem reluctant to get dragged into it. I call it offence by proxy.

I used to race with the owner of a big caravan and trailer building company. He had a black lad who worked for him come along at the weekends to lend a hand. I am not sure if he was paid, or he did it for the love of it. He was a lovely bloke, very chirpy and fun to be around. Anyway, this friend, (and everyone else) called him "Black Bob". Nobody bothered until one week another racer's daughter came up to this friend and told him in no uncertain terms how disgraceful it was. Black Bob turned to the kid and just said, "Things are getting better, he only found my name was Bob and not "You" two years ago ago. Calm down he's been like a father I don't have to me, and he can call me what the bloody hell he likes. I'm Bob and I'm black, no problem".

She shuffled off.

I think offence by proxy causes a lot of needless hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom