This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that attending a burglary is not important- it's going to be important for the person who was burgled. In the long run, that lack of service does undermine faith in the police.

Having said that, you're right that Police resources mean they have to prioritise. If people want better services, they need to pay for it.

But that's the issue being pointed out, they don't necessarily prioritize well and they do waste time on rather more trivial things than burglaries. Yes funding would be nice too but that doesn't absolve anyone of the criticisms re: wasting time and resources that they do have too.

But that's the issue being pointed out, they don't necessarily prioritize well and they do waste time on rather more trivial things than burglaries. Yes funding would be nice too but that doesn't absolve anyone of the criticisms re: wasting time and resources that they do have too.

I don’t think hate crime with potential escalation to breach of the peace or even public order is a waste of time, Vs attending someone who left their window open, went out for the day, and had their tv remote control and £2.30 in change stolen on arrival back home, with zero evidence the tv remote even existed.

There are already calls for it to be attacked.

As should any Nazi run business.

Last edited:
I don’t think hate crime with potential escalation to breach of the peace or even public order is a waste of time, Vs attending someone who left their window open, went out for the day, and had their tv remote control and £2.30 in change stolen on arrival back home, with zero evidence the tv remote even existed.

The incident re: the Twitter comments was not only not a crime (or hate crime) but shouldn't have even had efforts wasted on it as a non-crime hate investigation, that's been made clear in court already. The College of Policing's guidance was found to be seriously flawed. Holding a political opinion or telling a joke like that in ref to ideology doesn't require police time.

As for equating burglaries to staying a £2.30 remote through an open window, I don't know why you're trying to downplay burglaries with comments like that:

When a burglar enters a victim's home, they typically cause £1,413 worth of damage, steal £2,856 of goods and leave 84% of victims in emotional distress.

Last edited:
The incident re: the Twitter comments was not only not a crime (or hate crime) but shouldn't have even had efforts wasted on it as a non-crime hate investigation, that's been made clear in court already. The College of Policing's guidance was found to be seriously flawed. Holding a political opinion or telling a joke like that in ref to ideology doesn't require police time.

As for equating burglaries to staying a £2.30 remote through an open window, I don't know why you're trying to downplay burglaries with comments like that:

And I would expect a burglary that left someone distressed with £1000’s lost to be attended? But let’s not pretend all burglaries are the same.

I don’t know anything about the twitter thing, I’m talking about people complaining about officers going to the pub.

This pub owners are racist, they were hanging the golliwogs up with a noose, they deserve everything they get. The pub is also called the white hart

I'm sure they will prefer that but from the perspective of the person who has their phone stolen and can locate it then the police not even bothering to go to the address does seem quite farcical... especially when police officers will still spend time investigating non-crime hate incidents like someone being anti-woke on social media.

That's the issue you're going to have from the general public, so long as you have instances of the police taking time to send out officers to investigate trivial issues then all the people who've reported more serious crimes like a car break-in a robbery etc.. and just had an incident number and have been fobbed off are going to feel rather put out.

I totally agree the perception is poor hence why many forces are making strides to change that, but it's going to come at a cost in some form because resourcing all those burglary calls is going to mean something else isn't getting done elsewhere.

The perception that mean tweets get policed while other crimes don't tends to be based on the same few examples being brought up time and time again, as opposed to the reality of what's going on. Every single force puts out a tiny fraction of the work they do on social media, there are plenty of examples out there of good police work to be found, but typically that won't get the coverage.

That seems like a major oversight by the College of Policing... someone mocking ideas/ideology has nothing to do with the police.

Neither are social or mental health issues but that's what's tying up police resources, not the "anti-woke" social media stuff. The police have found themselves as the service of last resort, unable and/or unwilling to say no and so they're filling in for other agencies that have also had their budgets and staffing decimated.

On the subject of public perception: When people call an ambulance and there isn't an ambulance available, it's the fault of the government for not providing adequate funding and staffing; when people call the police and there isn't a police officer available, it's because the police are incompetent and lazy.

And I would expect a burglary that left someone distressed with £1000’s lost to be attended? But let’s not pretend all burglaries are the same.

Who is pretending that? You've thrown in some downplaying comment about a remote control being stolen from an open window, I've given you actual stats re: the average burglary.

So it seems that when presented with the reality of the situation you actually agree that you would expect the police to attend... if some forces are only attending a quarter of burglaries and that's the average loss then they are likely failing to attend plenty of burglaries with £1000s lost:

Police forces are still only attending a quarter of burglaries, new figures revealed today - while two-thirds do not even keep a record of the data.

Avon and Somerset sent an officer to just 25 per cent of break-ins, according to figures obtained under Freedom of Information laws.

This contrasted with South Yorkshire Police, which visited 96 per cent of burglary victims, the Telegraph found.

Clearly, other forces are able to and have chosen to as policy.

Last edited:

Christ on a bike hurf, you're really getting desperate now doubling down on this to the extent I find myself agreeing with @dowie :eek: :cry:

Please be better @hurfdurf... In fact, don't as this potential hurf/dowie hole will be hilarious given both your personalities :cry:

It was a Telegraph investigation but that's behind the pay wall... it's a lame cop-out to ignore facts though just because you don't like the editorial stance.

I’m not going to get into the ins and outs of the British gutter press with you, I require decent sources, simple.

Either way, burglary attendance is far from necessary in many cases. More than 25% I would agree, but less than 100%.

This pub owners are racist, they were hanging the golliwogs up with a noose, they deserve everything they get. The pub is also called the white hart

The White Hart, oh deer me, that's appalling...

How many White Hart pubs are there in England?

Image result for how many oubs are called the white hart

There are also 313 White Harts, 293 Ploughs, 286 Swans, 285 Railways, 281 White Horses, 243 Kings Arms, and 242 pubs called The Ship. This includes pubs which are better known as an inn, hotel, pub, tavern, bar or public house, or simply include the article “the” in their names, such as The Vine Inn, for example.25 Apr 2021

It's the 4th most common pub name in England.

Last edited:
The White Hart, oh deer me, that's appalling...

How many White Hart pubs are there in England?

Image result for how many oubs are called the white hart

There are also 313 White Harts, 293 Ploughs, 286 Swans, 285 Railways, 281 White Horses, 243 Kings Arms, and 242 pubs called The Ship. This includes pubs which are better known as an inn, hotel, pub, tavern, bar or public house, or simply include the article “the” in their names, such as The Vine Inn, for example.25 Apr 2021

It's the 4th most common pub name in England.

Did you see the husbands Facebook post? Those people are trash

I don't use Facebook, and I'm also most unlikely to go to Essex from here for a pint, but if I did I'd be more concerned with how much the beer was, given southern prices, and what it was rather than whether there's a bleedin' gollywog hanging from the ceiling ;)

I don't use Facebook, and I'm also most unlikely to go to Essex from here for a pint, but if I did I'd be more concerned with how much the beer was, given southern prices, and what it was rather than whether there's a bleedin' gollywog hanging from the ceiling ;)

Im sure there is a special hand shake for people like you to get a cheap pint in there.

A golliwog isn't illegal to have. The police were doing this kind of thing 20+ years ago with the result they had to hand them back.

They also were trying to confiscate the English flag from a persons flag pole because a passer-by was offended and made a complaint.

This is silly stuff from people who should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom