This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Soldato
52881986183_7d13f32d7d_o_d.jpg

Nadhim didn't ask them if it should be a capital crime

The devil is in the detail of what 'protest' means now doesn't it.

After a few years of XR style antics many are getting increasingly annoyed about 'protestors'

Caporegime

After a few years of XR style antics many are getting increasingly annoyed about 'protestors'
By design of course from both the protesters who want to be arrested (this is the goal) and the government drooling at the chance to get more power.

Soldato
what seems to be in the bill looks like commonsense https://verfassungsblog.de/uk-silence-protest/

if the noise generated by those taking part either (i) may result in serious disruption to an organisation’s activities – such as its business – in the vicinity or (ii) may have a significant and relevant impact on people in the vicinity, that is it might intimidate or harass them, or cause them to suffer serious unease, alarm or distress, then the senior officer at the scene can impose such conditions as appear necessary to prevent it. The Bill does not specify but we might assume this would include limits on number, on route, on time, on volume. It cannot be an actual ban – that has a different framework –

can't see they have also restricted use of placards that might obstruct peoples view, too ? I'd add the scourge of waving your smartphone in front of someones face to that.

Caporegime
Soldato
It seems the MET was fully justified in the arrests made over the weekend and the threats were much worse than the public were aware..

They shouldn't have apologised to the 6 in the way they did IMO as it just made them look guilty.

Sir Mark Rowley reveals plot to disrupt Coronation​

Fake stewards, rape alarms and paint were part of plans to disrupt procession

“We also had intelligence that people intended to extensively vandalise monuments, throw paint at the procession, and incur on to the route.”

Crowds applauded arrests​

He said with 160 mounted regiments taking part in the procession there was real concern that people could be injured.

“The threat was so concerning that on Friday the Home Secretary and Mayor were given late night briefings as plans were being put in place,” he explained.

Sir Mark went on: “The intelligence and subsequent investigative work led to officers making arrests across multiple locations. These included arrests made for sex offences, illegal drugs and fighting but also groups who were believed to be involved in the type of criminal activities our intelligence had indicated.

“Officers have told me how the celebrating crowds applauded and cheered as they made 17 arrests in The Mall area close to the processional route and imminent to the start of the procession.”

The Commissioner hit out at “ill informed commentary” that suggested the police had banned all protest and said he was proud of the part his officers played in ensuring the “historic moment of huge national significance” went off smoothly.

He said while there was “low tolerance” of disruptive protests there was not “zero tolerance” and a large number of people had been present to make their anti-monarchist views heard.

'Immensely proud of officers'​

The Commissioner went on: “I want to be absolutely clear - our activity was targeted at those we believed were intent on causing serious disruption and criminality. Serious and reliable intelligence told us that the risks were very real.”

A total of 53 people have been bailed after being arrested for a range of alleged offences but the Met has expressed regret over the arrest of six members of the Republic group, who will have no further action taken against them.

Explaining how the arrests came about Sir Mark said: “Officers searched a vehicle on Saturday morning and found items which at the time they believed could have been used as part of a ‘lock on’ style protest.

“As I would expect, the arresting officers were vigilant, curious, and proactive. They formed the 'reasonable suspicion' necessary to arrest for the new Section 2 Public Order Act 2023 offence of Being Equipped to Lock On, and these were the only arrests under the new legislation.

“Having now reviewed the evidence and potential lines of enquiry we do not judge that we will be able to prove criminal intent beyond all reasonable doubt.”

He went on: “The Coronation was one of the most significant events the Met has ever policed and presented a constantly evolving threat picture.

“I am immensely proud of the exceptional work of our officers who prevented criminal disruption, damage and danger destroying such a unique occasion.”

Permabanned
I'd have to Google him, but he sounds like a character from a TV series, whereas Anderton was the Greater Manchester Chief Constable that every CID and beat officer I ever drank with, and there were dozens of them, in a notorious drinking den in Moss Side held in the very highest regard. He had their back, they knew it and appreciated it.

Associate
Sounds like weapons of mass destruction deployable in 30 minutes to me, of course I probably missed all the shaky footage of the illegal secret paint dumps they uncovered and there will no doubt be lots of convictions of fake stewards in the weeks to come.

Soldato
could have used terrorist laws as one comment suggested V .... Hadn't seem the throwing of rape alarms towards horses was raised by Dowden on April 24th

Rowley comments - well at least he puts Khans adamant demand for arrest justification on a backfoot and reduces his political capital - event was executed smoothly too.

Associate
And yet the only ones they managed or so far admit to finding are ones the night before on 3 people wearing council tabards with a legitimate reason for having them.

Yeah, the Police so wisely used terrorist laws that they were revoked and had to be rewritten.

Soldato
Yes yawn despite the Met admitting they ****** up and they weren't locking on devices, you still try to defend their actions against right to protest, instead of questioning the officers common sense for not being able to tell they aren't locking on devices for 16 hours or the waste of police time & resources in arresting entirely innocent people
I'm still far from convinced that the 'luggage straps' where really there just to 'secure some placards'.
It doesn't matter if random person from the ocuk forums is convinced, the literal police were convinced they weren't actually locking on devices and could prove no intent, case closed you are wrong, the met was wrong, just give up licking their boots

Caporegime
"In response, Policing Minister Chris Philp defended the police's actions, telling the Commons that "at the point the arrest was made, the police reasonably believed there were grounds to do so"."

Doesn't quite sound like the rubbish you're spouting...

The police had info there was a threat and acted upon it. Very sensible thing to do.

Soldato
Yes yawn despite the Met admitting they ****** up and they weren't locking on devices, you still try to defend their actions against right to protest, instead of questioning the officers common sense for not being able to tell they aren't locking on devices for 16 hours or the waste of police time & resources in arresting entirely innocent people

It doesn't matter if random person from the ocuk forums is convinced, the literal police were convinced they weren't actually locking on devices and could prove no intent, case closed you are wrong, the met was wrong, just give up licking their boots
Spare us your ‘ill informed commentary’.

Not every arrest leads to a charge or conviction.

Commissario
Spare us your ‘ill informed commentary’.

Not every arrest leads to a charge or conviction.

A luggage strap?
I really hope the police never stop me and look in my boot, If they do i'm going away for life, I've got dozens of them in there! and I don't even have anything to secure most of the time*.

The idea that a luggage strap is a "lock on" device is so stupid that it's beyond laughable given they're made out of nylon webbing and take seconds to cut through, there was me thinking that "lock on" devices were things that were hard to remove, not something you could bypass with pen knife** or the dreaded "safety hammer" designed to cut through such webbing (dratt have I just given the police a reason to do me for attempted murder, I mean I've got one of those in the car and it's potentially a lethal weapon!).

Arguing that a luggage strap is a lock on device is utter nonsense and certainly wouldn't meet any reasonable "going equipped" argument in a court with magistrates, let alone a jury with anyone who has ever actually used one, or has used a van to transport stuff.

If a police officer thinks that a luggage strap makes a viable "lock on device" as described in the law, then that officer probably needs to get another job as they're arguably not up to operating as a private parking enforcer, or the law is so badly worded a carrying some lightweight rope/heavy string is enough to meet the criteria and should be revoked immediately.

*I think I last used them about 18 months ago, it's just easier to keep them in the boot.

**And I'd be utterly amazed if most officers didn't carry something like that, or at least have one in the car (and I suspect the "safety hammer" is probably a mandated part of the vehicle equipment).

Last edited:
Soldato
But most arrests should be based on actual reason or thought.

A luggage strap?
I really hope the police never stop me and look in my boot, If they do i'm going away for life, I've got dozens of them in there! and I don't even have anything to secure most of the time*.

The idea that a luggage strap is a "lock on" device is so stupid that it's beyond laughable given they're made out of nylon webbing and take seconds to cut through, there was me thinking that "lock on" devices were things that were hard to remove, not something you could bypass with pen knife or the dreaded "safety hammer" designed to cut through such webbing (dratt have I just given the police a reason to do me for attempted murder, I mean I've got one of those in the car and it's potentially a lethal weapon!).

Arguing that a luggage strap is a lock on device is utter nonsense and certainly wouldn't meet any reasonable "going equipped" argument in a court with magistrates, let alone a jury with anyone who has ever actually used one, or has used a van to transport stuff.

*I think I last used them about 18 months ago, it's just easier to keep them in the boot.

As I said not every arrest leads to a charge or conviction - arrests resolve the immediate concern and then allow for investigation.

The police must get so sick of these people - because whatever they do they can’t win.

I’ve never even heard the term ‘lock on device’ but presumably there is a legal definition?

Last edited:
Associate
Another round em all up and let god sort them out, fascist.

The police aren't supposed to win, they are supposed to fairly uphold the law and the law is supposed to uphold the 1000 years of progress and freedom the UK has evolved to enjoy.

There's so many people that don't seem to care... as long as it's not them

Back
Top Bottom