This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they had evidence they 'tried' to do anything then they'd obviously deserve getting arrested, but they didn't and at the very least the law should be tightened up. (I don't really think it's the police's fault, it's the politicians writing useless legislation and putting officers in awkward positions)

All this has achieved is to massively overshadow what should have been praise for the police for doing what was an otherwise decent job and raise the profiles of 'bad' people who I never even knew existed before this.

Last edited:
If they had evidence they 'tried' to do anything then they'd obviously deserve getting arrested, but they didn't and at the very least the law should be tightened up. (I don't really think it's the police's fault, it's the politicians writing useless legislation and putting officers in awkward positions)

All this has achieved is to massively overshadow what should have been praise for the police for doing what was an otherwise decent job and raise the profiles of 'bad' people who I never even knew existed before this.

Some crusties getting arrested will soon be forgotten but someone interrupting the coronation would be on YouTube forever.. you can see why some are so gutted lol..

If they had evidence they 'tried' to do anything then they'd obviously deserve getting arrested, but they didn't and at the very least the law should be tightened up.

If some protestors had locked on and blocked the route the police would get hammered in the press, it's such a big event that they're not going to take any chances.

Say the US president visits and you're walking home with some eggs, a street near the route is closed to traffic and there are police searching people, you understand why you might need to take a different route home as they may object to you carrying a bag with eggs in it past some point? You haven't 'tried' to do anything you simply have them in your possession and given the context that's a risk.

Perhaps protestors and protest groups could apply some common sense, if you support just stop oil and you're going to protest in future then go protest, if you're on your way to a protest in your just stop oil vest and you're found with say some tubes of superglue or some chains and a padlock then you're quite possibly going to to be arrested... even if you haven't actually tried to do anything yet.

Just popped on BBC, not really sure what to think of this one, seems a bit sketchy to fire the tazer when he's at height. Even if he fell differently there's significant risk of a head injury etc.
I am on the fence about this one too.
In one sense I can understand the stress' of officers and dealer bags and what they could carry.
On the other side of it, he was clearly running away and not wanting to engage with the X amount of police chasing him, deploying a tazer when climbing and crossing a fence is extremely dangerous, as the guys injuries show.

Think its crazy this hasn't resulted in an officer being disciplined or deployment instructions changing.

I am on the fence about this one too.
In one sense I can understand the stress' of officers and dealer bags and what they could carry.
On the other side of it, he was clearly running away and not wanting to engage with the X amount of police chasing him, deploying a tazer when climbing and crossing a fence is extremely dangerous, as the guys injuries show.

Think its crazy this hasn't resulted in an officer being disciplined or deployment instructions changing.

<Chortle>

Nope, that's not it again you're just playing dumb and ignoring that plenty of protestors were able to speak freely.
Again just because some protesters were allowed to protest doesn't mean they all were, the guys that showed up with bundles of placards were arrested on a trumped up reason, the police knew you couldn't lock on with luggage straps, they simply used that as a excuse to arrest them. Its shameful and you seem fine with it.

No, I'm saying the police need to have grounds to arrest people and arresting people doesn't necessarily mean they're going to charge them. Most people who wanted to protest weren't arrested, no one stopped them from exercising their free speech. The people who were arrested weren't arrested to stop them from exercising free speech but to prevent them from breaking the law and disrupting the event illegally.

But they didn't have grounds, they created grounds by saying luggage straps could be used to lock on which is laughable.

If they were genuine protesters their, niche at best, 'cause' has got more publicity than them waving their luggage strap constructed placards at the side of the road.

If they were trying to disrupt the event then they deserved to be arrested.

It's pretty obvious you are just gutted that no one managed to throw paint over Camilla or scare a horse into running over the public so you could gloat on twitter.

Hyperbolic nonsense, only in your head is this happening.

If some protestors had locked on and blocked the route the police would get hammered in the press, it's such a big event that they're not going to take any chances.

Say the US president visits and you're walking home with some eggs, a street near the route is closed to traffic and there are police searching people, you understand why you might need to take a different route home as they may object to you carrying a bag with eggs in it past some point? You haven't 'tried' to do anything you simply have them in your possession and given the context that's a risk.

Perhaps protestors and protest groups could apply some common sense, if you support just stop oil and you're going to protest in future then go protest, if you're on your way to a protest in your just stop oil vest and you're found with say some tubes of superglue or some chains and a padlock then you're quite possibly going to to be arrested... even if you haven't actually tried to do anything yet.

Hyperbolic nonsense pt2. The whole route was lined with police, exactly how were they going to do that dowie? Were the police just going to stand there as they joined themselves together and walked out into the road to join up with a group coming from the other side of the road?

But they didn't have grounds, they created grounds by saying luggage straps could be used to lock on which is laughable.

A non-judgemental question - Did those arrested every say WHY they were carrying these "luggage straps" to this event, as it seems like an odd choice of item to bring to me, whilst I can fully understand taking placards etc?

Personally, whilst I can see why the Police may have decided to arrest these people for the sake of preventing any disturbances, I still can't agree with it happening. For me using a "they were going equipped" excuse becomes a very grey area to use as a reason to arrest anyone who hasn't "yet" committed an offence, which I understand has to be balanced against the risk posed by allowing an offence to occur first, but for me it gets all very "Minority Report" very quickly which I do not like in any form.

I would have much rather the police, who I know were stretched on the day, had allowed them to protest but had officers stood by each one to watch their every move "just in case" rather than arresting them out of hand.

Last edited:
A non-judgemental question - Did those arrested every say WHY they were carrying these "luggage straps" to this event, as it seems like an odd choice of item to bring to me, whilst I can fully understand taking placards etc?

Personally, whilst I can see why the Police may have decided to arrest these people for the sake of preventing any disturbances, I still can't agree with it happening. For me using a "they were going equipped" excuse becomes a very grey area to use as a reason to arrest anyone who hasn't "yet" committed an offence, which I understand has to be balanced against the risk posed by allowing an offence to occur first, but for me it gets all very "Minority Report" very quickly which I do not like in any form.

I would have much rather the police, who I know were stretched on the day, had allowed them to protest but had officers stood by each one to watch their every move "just in case" rather than arresting them out of hand.

Thing is there were police all along the route so there was no chance of them being able to block any route and even if they had somehow overpowered police and got out into the road the public would have intervened and dragged them off. However they would never have got out into the road on the route, the police had it locked down and rightly so. Some posters seem to think those of us that have a problem with the police arresting peaceful protesters wanted people to act violently or block the roads, they've just created that in their own heads.

placards they were going to obstruct peoples view with the prosthetic placards - so impounding that vanload for 16hours too, was a good plan.

maybe they'll protest against entitled Harry if he turns up at the phone hacking court again.

placards they were going to obstruct peoples view with the prosthetic placards - so impounding that vanload for 16hours too, was a good plan.

maybe they'll protest against entitled Harry if he turns up at the phone hacking court again.

How do placards held high above their heads block people's view on a flat area? If they were in a stadium with tiered rows I would agree with you but they weren't.

Why would they protest Harry, he's out of the royal family.

Here's a legit criticism of the police:

Again just because some protesters were allowed to protest doesn't mean they all were,

No one said they all were... again, try to read and understand what you're replying to. Why wilfully ignore context?

Hyperbolic nonsense pt2. The whole route was lined with police, exactly how were they going to do that dowie? Were the police just going to stand there as they joined themselves together and walked out into the road to join up with a group coming from the other side of the road?

You can't be that naive surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom