This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little point in that with laws that already assume you're a criminal if what that lady said is accurate about being taken under the guise of the mere suspicion that they would breach the peace. Since being too loud is apparently a criminal act nowadays, we're all criminals.

It almost feels like the government is creating the conditions on which we're forced to codify a constitution that they like instead of this flimsy, meaningless fluff we seem to operate under right now.

Last edited:
Thousands get arrested without cause? If that is the case we have a very big problem because no one should be arrested without cause in a liberal democracy. Maybe we need to bring in a US system where if you are arrested without cause you can sue the state and take them to the cleaners.

Sigh, the police have explained why they were arrested - at the time they thought they had just cause and after investigation decided there was insufficient evidence for a charge and released them. It happens every day. If the protesters feel they were treated wrongly there are processes they can follow for redress as you would expect in a 'liberal democracy'. The police aren't perfect but in the grand scheme of things this is really quire trivial.

If they knew who you are I'm sure they would appreciate how angry and upset you are on their behalf so maybe try twitter if you want to declare your undying support (you could join them next time) but otherwise this is going round in circles and getting very boring (although your naiveté is amusing). ;)

Sigh, the police have explained why they were arrested - at the time they thought they had just cause and after investigation decided there was insufficient evidence for a charge and released them. It happens every day. If the protesters feel they were treated wrongly there are processes they can follow for redress as you would expect in a 'liberal democracy'. The police aren't perfect but in the grand scheme of things this is really quire trivial.
It's how I have been looking it at it.

The entire context of how this was a world stage event requiring unprecendented levels of security immediately makes it not the norm.. and I even understand NMKs position in that this was the holy grail of opportunities for them.

However, despite all the 'working with the police' and getting everything agreed ahead of time, they literally couldn't help but slightly over do things with their rhetoric in the media in the build up.
e.g. https://apnews.com/article/king-cha...ican-protest-6aab62a8c337568386914e6374a709be
We’ll try and keep the atmosphere light, but our aim is to make it impossible to ignore
Would I trust their intentions of just being a nice little peaceful protest.. no way..

Not to mention that at such an event, any large van turning up full of stuff like that is potentially problematic, the idea the Police should have immediately diverted a ton of resource to 'look after' the protestors paraphenalia and just followed them around seems untenable, to ensure security is maintained for the entire event, it's far easier to just shut things down at that point and confiscate / arrest the van driver and anyone associated around and deal with things later on the basis it poses too many potential security issues. if you attend any such event there is a tiny chance you might get caught up in any security activities and whilst that's not good for the individual, that's pretty much how it has to be..

At the end of the day, NMK protestors had a protest, many placards where used, they are not locked up in jail and did not get arrested on the day.. the fact a small number of them got detained with the Van and 1 innocent bystander was detained whilst everything was figured out is not that unreasonable given the context of the event.

I'm fine with an opposing opinion on this, 'feedback' should always be aired and even if I think the behaviour of the Police was justified at that moment, I have no problems ensuring they are scrutinised and can maybe learn something or improve things for the future, especially surrounding the false arrests, those are being looked in to and that is a good thing.

Last edited:
@n111ck - so what about the woman who was arrested and held for 13 hours just because she was standing near protestors without actually being one herself. You're presumably not going to argue that this was perfectly reasonable behaviour from the police?

She was arrested, apparently unfairly, and an investigation has been launched to understand the circumstances - isn't that what you would expect in a 'liberal democracy'? Are you saying that the Police cant ever make mistakes and are you also saying that people that make complaints about the Police never lie?

She was arrested, apparently unfairly, and an investigation has been launched to understand the circumstances - isn't that what you would expect in a 'liberal democracy'? Are you saying that the Police cant ever make mistakes and are you also saying that people that make complaints about the Police never lie?

I'm saying that the thread title is about people losing respect for the police, and this incident can't exactly be helping that.

Also - police making mistakes is one thing, but (allegedly) rocking up and arresting someone for the 'crime' of being a member of the public out in public doesn't sit brilliantly with me. If you're fine with the police forces of the country going around doing stuff like that...well, I hear North Korea is quite lovely in places? ;)

If they knew who you are I'm sure they would appreciate how angry and upset you are on their behalf so maybe try twitter if you want to declare your undying support (you could join them next time) but otherwise this is going round in circles and getting very boring (although your naiveté is amusing). ;)

You can sigh all you like. Its clear the police created an excuse to arrest them, they never had any evidence to justify the arrest. This should never happen and no event is bigger than people's right to protest. You don't suspend individual rights for events.
So the Police shouldn't arrest suspected protesters in case one of them kills a Police officer?

You really are the king of hyperbole.

Last edited:
They need to show NEED not cause, Generally the reasonable NEED on a suspected, possible, maybe, future crime is, so they can interview the person not just dole out punishment and intimidation by locking people up for the day.

If there was Need, then lock up everyone with a placard, because there was a totally legitimate need, right ? Not just round up randoms like some soviet eastern European state or even worse target dissidents like they are the modern day Stasi.

I'm saying that the thread title is about people losing respect for the police, and this incident can't exactly be helping that.

Also - police making mistakes is one thing, but (allegedly) rocking up and arresting someone for the 'crime' of being a member of the public out in public doesn't sit brilliantly with me. If you're fine with the police forces of the country going around doing stuff like that...well, I hear North Korea is quite lovely in places? ;)

But you are wrong as evidenced by the poll posted yesterday - the majority of the public think the Police did a good job.

On you second point you said 'allegedly' and thats exactly right - it needs investigation - how do you know, for the sake of argument, that she's not lying?

You can sigh all you like. Its clear the police created an excuse to arrest them, they never had any evidence to justify the arrest. This should never happen and no event is bigger than people's right to protest. You don't suspend individual rights for events.

You really are the king of hyperbole.

Can you not see that turning the actions of a few police officers at a once in a generation event into some sort of evidence of a state sponsored conspiracy is really quite ludicrous and hysterical? Why didn't they arrest all of them?

Which protests have you attended and did you get arrested?

You shouldn't have to argue with Dowie if it's possible or not.

It seems pretty obvious that it is possible for protestors to disrupt an event by spraying paint, throwing rape alarms or blocking roads by attaching themselves to things. I think he's just playing dumb.

The main point was arresting people before they have committed any crime and arresting people without evidence that a crime was going to be committed or conspiracy to commit a crime. I don't understand how Dowie just doesn't get it.

It's not clear what point you're making, going equipped *is* a crime, there was evidence for that thus why they were arrested. Your argument there is fundamentally flawed, whether they're then charged is another matter. You can argue that the police were being overly cautious but then again take note of the context here re: this particular event, that's what a lot of people seem to be oblivious to

I wonder if Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury is feeling a bit anti police? He got done for speeding on the way to his grace and favour home, Lambeth Palace, days after crowning Charles the Woke.

No doubt he was rushing back to feed some of those migrants whose cause he has so embraced, and who are doubtlessly enjoying his hospitality in the vast house and buildings at his expense, in a show of true Christian charity. ;)
25 in a 20?

WOAH guys clearly a murderer, I bet you've never went 5 over the limit like everyone else.

Last edited:
I wonder if Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury is feeling a bit anti police? He got done for speeding on the way to his grace and favour home, Lambeth Palace, days after crowning Charles the Woke.

No doubt he was rushing back to feed some of those migrants whose cause he has so embraced, and who are doubtlessly enjoying his hospitality in the vast house and buildings at his expense, in a show of true Christian charity. ;)
Stay salty friend.

Not to mention that at such an event, any large van turning up full of stuff like that is potentially problematic, the idea the Police should have immediately diverted a ton of resource to 'look after' the protestors paraphenalia and just followed them around seems untenable, to ensure security is maintained for the entire event, it's far easier to just shut things down at that point and confiscate / arrest the van driver and anyone associated around and deal with things later on the basis it poses too many potential security issues. if you attend any such event there is a tiny chance you might get caught up in any security activities and whilst that's not good for the individual, that's pretty much how it has to be..

At the end of the day, NMK protestors had a protest, many placards where used, they are not locked up in jail and did not get arrested on the day.. the fact a small number of them got detained with the Van and 1 innocent bystander was detained whilst everything was figured out is not that unreasonable given the context of the event.

Yes but that's part of the context lots of people seem to be ignoring, we've got some dumb position by one poster that merely having police present on the day magically prevents anything form happening, no need for any proactive policing at all... back in reality that's kinda ridiculous.

The woman arrested mistakenly is clearly a screw-up by the police, apparently not the Met in that case.

The other stuff is things they do need to be cautious about, protestors locking on or trying to actively disrupt the event in some way.

Anti-monarchist are now checking the birth certificates of all the members to identify the mole, and, maybe, buying disposable mobiles next time round, cell tracking during event or eves-dropping.

was there any footage on what anti-drone strategies authorities used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom