Poll: This Johnny Depp Stuff

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Regarding the "davros" defence being touted as some kind of "tactic" - I don't see how else JDs legal team could play it.

It was a defamation case so the only way to prove defamation is to show that what a person said was lies. That's how you win a defamation case is it not?

If so, there was no other way to win the case than accusing the person of lying.

So for every DV/SV case (rape etc), the defence team is not allowed to use this defence as it's a ploy? How else can someone defend themselves from a rape allegation? :confused:

Soldato
I meant to add.

#believe women and all the other hashtags - fine, believe them but when it's proven they LIED, don't blame the man and bleat how he has set the violence against women discussion back years, blame the woman. All the guy did was defend himself so he doesn't get convicted and have his life ruined.

Don
Regarding the "davros" defence being touted as some kind of "tactic" - I don't see how else JDs legal team could play it.

It was a defamation case so the only way to prove defamation is to show that what a person said was lies. That's how you win a defamation case is it not?

If so, there was no other way to win the case than accusing the person of lying.

So for every DV/SV case (rape etc), the defence team is not allowed to use this defence as it's a ploy? How else can someone defend themselves from a rape allegation? :confused:
I don't think it was davros in the Depp case. Davros is showing the victim is unreliable in other areas to undermine her allegations (and not addressing the allegations directly), not demonstrating that they were just straight up making stuff up about the accusations themselves.

Heard's case against Depp actually has more of davros tactics about it, the Kate Moss thing would have been a key point of that, until Kate Moss herself shot it down that the incident never occurred.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't think it was davros in the Depp case. Davros is showing the victim is unreliable in other areas to undermine her allegations (and not addressing the allegations directly), not demonstrating that they were just straight up making stuff up about the accusations themselves.

Heard's case against Depp actually has more of davros tactics about it, the Kate Moss thing would have been a key point of that, until Kate Moss herself shot it down that the incident never occurred.
ItThe judge cited davros in the UK case which is why he said he will not allow any of Depp's evidence to stand and as a result he didn't win the UK case which is why it has been considered a skewed trial because of that and also the conflict of interest in the judge having connections to the media through his son and other bits.

There is a image floating about showing the connections between everyone in the UK case, some of it may not be accurate, but the core of it, the judge, his son and Talk Radio/The Sun is accurate.

That's why many legal experts have been saying the UK case should always have been a jury case. not a judge one. It would have eliminated that judge's bias.

Also:

Associate
Seems they were both as bad as one another but she made the mistake of thinking she could surf in on the back of the #MeToo movement and it would be job done. Now apparently she cant afford the damages award...not the sharpest crayon in the box

Soldato
The judge cited davros in the UK case which is why he said he will not allow any of Depp's evidence to stand and as a result he didn't win the UK case which is why it has been considered a skewed trial because of that and also the conflict of interest in the judge having connections to the media through his son and other bits.
nonethless the judge does produce a description of what he did/didn't believe on each incident - you do not get any workings out from the jury - it's a black box.
maybe need a multiple judge judgement.(if the costs can be afforded)
she'd be more credible if she could acknowledge her inability to present/articulate her evidence, and, that her case/finding is not the figurehead for #metoo.

eg. https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Judgment-FINAL.pdf
274. My findings regarding Incident 5 are as follows: i) The process of detoxification was extremely painful for Mr Depp. ii) His feelings towards Ms Heard vacillated wildly. At times he was extremely fond of her and grateful to her. At other times he imagined that she was the cause of his pain and that her actions increased his torment. I say ‘imagined’ because there is no evidence that Ms Heard was anything other than solicitous and following strictly the regime prescribed by Nurse Lloyd and/or Dr Kipper. iii) I find it more likely than not that Mr Depp did push Ms Heard on at least one occasion (as reflected in her text of 17th August 2014). I am not able to conclude whether there was more than this one assault. iv) That Ms Roberts never saw Mr Depp assault Ms Heard takes the matter no further. The staff (including Ms Roberts) lived in a different part of the island. In any event, Ms Heard’s account is that she was generally assaulted by Mr Depp only when no one else was present. That is a common feature of domestic abuse. v) Ms Heard acknowledged that she had made a mistake about the location of the door which was splintered. That is a peripheral matter and I do not find it causes me to doubt her account of being assaulted by Mr Depp.

[ epitomization of darvo Perpetrator Responses to Victim Confrontation: DARVO and Victim Self-Blame
... Research with perpetrators of sexual violence yields similar results. In an interview study with 114 incarcerated rapists, 59% denied ever committing the offense (Scully & Marolla, 1984). Of those who denied the rape, 31% claimed that their victims had “lured” and seduced them, a serious distortion that portrays the rapist as an unsuspecting, passive victim of women’s ploys and transforms the victims into the primary aggressors of the assault. In this way, the perpetrators (already in denial of committing any wrong-doing) used victim and offender reversal. A large proportion of the deniers, 69%, minimized the harm of their attacks by saying they believed that their victims relaxed and enjoyed the rape, while 84% of deniers tried to deemphasize their responsibility in the assault by claiming to have been driven to rape by their state of intoxication. Additionally, 78% of the denying rapists attacked the victim’s integrity by claiming that their victims were known prostitutes, whores, had children out of wedlock, or had an otherwise supposedly blame-worthy sexual reputation
]

Associate

Man of Honour
Seems they were both as bad as one another
I had this line from my wife. She knew I was following the trial so asked me what I thought of the verdict. I started to explain there was only very weak evidence from her side that he had hit her, but there was strong evidence from his side that she had probably made up that evidence and she had absolutely been abusive to him on many occasions.

My wife replied "I don't want to know about the trial. It just seems they were both as bad as one another". So why ask me then? I guess she didn't want me to have an opinion based on evidence that they were definitely not as bad as one another.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I had this line from my wife. She knew I was following the trial so asked me what I thought of the verdict. I started to explain there was only very weak evidence from her side that he had hit her, but there was strong evidence from his side that she had probably made up that evidence and she had absolutely been abusive to him on many occasions.

My wife replied "I don't want to know about the trial. It just seems they were both as bad as one another". So why ask me then? I guess she didn't want me to have an opinion based on evidence that they were definitely not as bad as one another.
I would say that's woman logic for you but then someone will get offended :p

"Where shall we go out to eat today? you pick"

"Restaurant XYZ"

"I don't like that place"

"..."

:D

Soldato
What's really frightening about the response to the verdict is it seems there are many women out there who would be happy to use a DV accusation as a weapon to get what they want :/

And that was confirmed by a panel of 7 lawyers including one from the UK who all said, they have had many cases where the wife/mother of their children has made false accusations to get custody/financial gains, and in nearly all cases the women was believed regardless. Which entirely understandable, if someone has an agenda they will be in preperation for it from day 1. The unsuspecting victim often the father/partner will just be hit with lies and fabricated evidence and have no defense against it other than, she lied.

Depp was lucky in this case as he was able to gather evidence based on the fact he's a celebrity and has 24/7 security, along with a multitude of people who he trusts, and trust him. Most men are not lucky at all.

Man of Honour
Please be a little sensitive when commenting on BIackMagic's God comment. I appreciate it's the usual reaction on this forum (I'm an atheist myself). But they are having a bit of a tough time according to another thread on here. So perhaps not the best time to shoot down his/her belief. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom