• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

2nd Generation Threadripper packaging pictures are up and it looks hot :D
AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2000-Packaging-2.jpg

Link: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2000-packaging-unveiled

Yeah, Shortly after the Core2 was probably the point Intel started to turn away from the enthusiast end. The funny thing is it was enthusiasts that put Intel back on the map.
Intel and AMD live and die by their OEM sales for desktop and server chips with HEDT and consumer retail products mere icing on the cake.
Intel never left the map, you are confusing them with AMD who have just found their long lost compass.

Not going to lie... I'm ready! my wallet however might not be.

Must say, is tempting even the 8 core 2900X (or what ever will be called).
The motherboards are better compared to AM4 and the platform is superb, while allows for great expansion.

Quad channel of course as it gives around 12-14% better perf compared to dual channel.

Must say, is tempting even the 8 core 2900X (or what ever will be called).
The motherboards are better compared to AM4 and the platform is superb, while allows for great expansion.

Quad channel of course as it gives around 12-14% better perf compared to dual channel.

Hopefully I can just buy the chip and wack it in my taichi. I already have 64gb 3466 and the rest of the system so with a bit of luck the taichi is up to the job. I can then resell the 1950x :)

Hopefully I can just buy the chip and wack it in my taichi. I already have 64gb 3466 and the rest of the system so with a bit of luck the taichi is up to the job. I can then resell the 1950x :)

I was looking for quad channel ram tonight. I do not need much 16GB will do the job, and i wonder if the F4-3400C16 (4x4) will be another lucky chip like the F4-3600C16 (2x8) did work at rated speed (3600MhzC15) as did with the 1800X. If not overclock to 3600-4000Mhz.
I am very tempted to move and buy the X399M Taichi as not needing a full board.

These are going to be real monster rigs - have they also committed to 7nm threadripper dropping into the TR4 socket?

With the core counts these things are climbing to is going to make jobs that were overnight roadblocks into a couple of hour delay or even software that could be carrying out significant heavy lifting around encoding/rendering/compiling behind the scenes while you edit/design/code to make things happen almost in real time.

Not going to lie... I'm ready! my wallet however might not be.

Didn't bother to check previous pages to see if listed but Wednesday is launch day :)

seems more fiddling around with Phase count claims - good to see gigabyte hasn't done what it did with X370 / B450 before launch and lists actually phase count, though seems MSI have stated Double the actual count .

MSI MEG -16 > doubler used so 8
Aorus Extreme -10
Aorus 7 -8
Zenith - 8

wondering if Asus will launch an amended Zenith version ?

Last edited:
I was looking for quad channel ram tonight. I do not need much 16GB will do the job, and i wonder if the F4-3400C16 (4x4) will be another lucky chip like the F4-3600C16 (2x8) did work at rated speed (3600MhzC15) as did with the 1800X. If not overclock to 3600-4000Mhz.
I am very tempted to move and buy the X399M Taichi as not needing a full board.
X399M is very solid. I will make an 8Pack bundle with this shortly. Been testing it a lot recently.

The Zenith cooling kit is pathetic. A testament to the engineering that went into it originally, or a major cheap out by Asus?

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pb-ir3555.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567fd3ac28d3

Zenith ^^^ IR 3555 60A

Aorus Gaming 7 IR 3556 50A

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pb-ir3556.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567fe2fb28d7

in theory , 80a extra over Gaming 7 so could hold , thus the extra cooling - and one of those cases - higher numbers arent everything

Not sure if new Extreme uses 60a or 50a IR units

Zenith might just run hotter due to having less chips to spread the load but the chips should handle whats required . seems now theres the witch hunt for VRM temps , 90% of the time using software =/

****seems it might use IR as zenith, which would mean handling 120 more amps..

Last edited:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pb-ir3555.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567fd3ac28d3

Zenith ^^^ IR 3555 60A

Aorus Gaming 7 IR 3556 50A

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pb-ir3556.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567fe2fb28d7

in theory , 80a extra over Gaming 7 so could hold , thus the extra cooling - and one of those cases - higher numbers arent everything

Not sure if new Extreme uses 60a or 50a IR units

Zenith might just run hotter due to having less chips to spread the load but the chips should handle whats required . seems now theres the witch hunt for VRM temps , 90% of the time using software =/

****seems it might use IR as zenith, which would mean handling 120 more amps..

IDK why someone could buy the Zenith over better boards right now.
Given it's price at the same range is the new MSI X399 MEG coming with all bells and whistle, while there are the cheaper boards out there that are as good.
I mean that B-grade Gaming 7 at £260 OCUK has, is a steal imho.

Back
Top Bottom