• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

IDK why someone could buy the Zenith over better boards right now.
Given it's price at the same range is the new MSI X399 MEG coming with all bells and whistle, while there are the cheaper boards out there that are as good.
I mean that B-grade Gaming 7 at £260 OCUK has, is a steal imho.

think it'll hold its ground - but as you say others are offering more for less. seems Extreme is 449 Euro or £400 do to weak pound .

Not sure how much the Meg will be, that Aero M.2 cooler is a smart design!

***Taichi and believe the M as well is true 8 like Gaming 7 and Zenith using same IR as Zenith - IR 3555 60A units.

Hopefully 8 pack is in testing of the Taichi units - like the Zenith should be able to handle TR2- just now a case of 'VRM Temps' being thrown about in review sites (just buy a better case )

Last edited:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pb-ir3555.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567fd3ac28d3

Zenith ^^^ IR 3555 60A

Aorus Gaming 7 IR 3556 50A

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pb-ir3556.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153567fe2fb28d7

in theory , 80a extra over Gaming 7 so could hold , thus the extra cooling - and one of those cases - higher numbers arent everything

Not sure if new Extreme uses 60a or 50a IR units

Zenith might just run hotter due to having less chips to spread the load but the chips should handle whats required . seems now theres the witch hunt for VRM temps , 90% of the time using software =/

****seems it might use IR as zenith, which would mean handling 120 more amps..

My gaming 7 peaks it's VRM temps at 65c pulling 300watts on the cpu when OC'd to 4.2ghz. I'm confident it'll handle a 2990wx @ 250 watts just fine.

My gaming 7 peaks it's VRM temps at 65c pulling 300watts on the cpu when OC'd to 4.2ghz. I'm confident it'll handle a 2990wx @ 250 watts just fine.

that 4.2ghz on 32 cores ? which would push TDP quite high . i know you can slap a 32 core chip on it, but overclocking - results wouldn't be ideal for systems that are under constant load for 24 hours 5 days a week . VRMs scream - though with 32 cores... dont think man will need to overclock haha

that 4.2ghz on 32 cores ? which would push TDP quite high . i know you can slap a 32 core chip on it, but overclocking - results wouldn't be ideal for systems that are under constant load for 24 hours 5 days a week . VRMs scream - though with 32 cores... dont think man will need to overclock haha

Come on. You can always pour Novec on your VRMs and cool them successfully.
Like der8auer does on his last video.

Check it at 4:00 :p

Haha , zoom zoom :)

He is crazy. Hardware hacking a server board, pushing 1000W to the server chip for overclocking and then dealing with hot VRMs by pouring Novec.
This server chip is 2.2Ghz base speed for heaven sake. He almost doubles it's clock speed on a server board!!!!!!

But shows what is the MINIMUM the 2990X will do at 4Ghz.
And wrote minimum because we know what the Ryzen 2 (Zen+) process is better with higher IPC and overall performance.

@ AMDMatt or 8Pack.....can you guys confirm whether there will be a 2900X 8 core Threadripper 2
There was posted somewhere the full lineup starting from 2900X all way to 2990X. Including 2920X, 2950X etc

Imho given the potential pricing, 2920X could be better value for money than 2900X.

Last edited:
It's non sensical to drop the 2900X 8 core with Zen 2 improvements especially if AMD are targeting the 2950X and 2920X at gamers as gaming cpu's! The 8 core 2900X would be the king because it should theoretically clock the highest just like Zen 1 1900X did.

It's non sensical to drop the 2900X 8 core with Zen 2 improvements especially if AMD are targeting the 2950X and 2920X at gamers as gaming cpu's! The 8 core 2900X would be the king because it should theoretically clock the highest just like Zen 1 1900X did.

Maybe because they have better production now and not failed chips?

Maybe because they have better production now and not failed chips?

Not quite sure what you mean here, if you mean the 1900X was only produced to use up failed chips perhaps you have a point but then why did the 1900X clock the best out of all the gen 1 threadripper line up? I don't know, just disappointed as I wanted an 8 core 2900X, cheaper with higher oc potential could have been a good gaming monster and would have been easier to cool under water than the 16 core model.

Back
Top Bottom