• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato

Indeed. That MSI board is looking mighty. I'm looking forward to seeing what Asrock bring out - I have a soft spot for them lately and somewhat regret not getting the TaiChi for my desktop build (sig). In all honesty I somewhat regret not getting R7/TR with the Asrock dual LAN 10Gb board. Next time I refresh my hardware I'm gonna stick to an iMac for my desktop and go TR for my local server/tinkering needs I think.

Caporegime
Indeed. That MSI board is looking mighty. I'm looking forward to seeing what Asrock bring out - I have a soft spot for them lately and somewhat regret not getting the TaiChi for my desktop build (sig). In all honesty I somewhat regret not getting R7/TR with the Asrock dual LAN 10Gb board. Next time I refresh my hardware I'm gonna stick to an iMac for my desktop and go TR for my local server/tinkering needs I think.

I remember i had 2 asrock boards in a row with my opteron cpu, on first boot each time a component on the board caught fire and fizzled out, not touched them since. :eek:

Soldato
I remember i had 2 asrock boards in a row with my opteron cpu, on first boot each time a component on the board caught fire and fizzled out, not touched them since. :eek:

They're massively improved now by all accounts. Ian/8Pack is always praising them and the TaiChi (Z370 and X370/X470) are supposed to be fantastic, beating out Asus for features and solidity. Considering they have more phases, dual LAN including a 10Gbe NIC for less money you can't really complain. They were among the top for BIOS releases in Zen's early days also IIRC.

Permabanned

I use ASRock for my 5.2GHz 8700k... I haven't used them in a long time because they used to be budget and crappy... but these last few years they've been kicking out some really good boards.

And for me, the onboard 10GbE was a big selling point.

Soldato
VRM has never seen so much attention.

But it's a lot of disproportionate attention with a sprinkle of relevant information as the grain of truth behind it.

Soldato
Did anyone watch the last Jay2Cents video trying to overclock his 7980XE? At one point running Cinebench it was near 900W :p
And thats a 18 core CPU. I would love to see a 4.4Ghz 2990X power consumption for the laugh of it. It doesn't bother me.

(the 32 core EPYC hits 1000W at 4Ghz).

Last edited:
Soldato
Did anyone watch the last Jay2Cents video trying to overclock his 7980XE? At one point running Cinebench it was near 900W :p
And thats a 18 core CPU. I would love to see a 4.4Ghz 2990X power consumption for the laugh of it. It doesn't bother me.

(the 32 core EPYC hits 1000W at 4Ghz).

He's an idiot. He'd really need to measure it at the socket but he doesn't know how. They will pull an awful lot, though.

Man of Honour
Associate
It really is impressive when you go from Intel releasing an 18 Core 36 threaded CPU in late 2017 for $1999 to now AMD unleashing a 32 Core 64 threaded monster CPU for $1799 :)

Back
Top Bottom