Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Grim thought, but would the sub passengers consider reducing number of those breathing air, to prolong air left so some might be rescued ?

Who knows what they would be doing if stuck and some end up losing it , just brings shivers thinking about it

Just hope they at least find it otherwise many questions will remain unanswered

Caporegime
Who knows what they would be doing if stuck and some end up losing it , just brings shivers thinking about it

Just hope they at least find it otherwise many questions will remain unanswered

Can you imagine opening the hatch to find some horror film type scenario. That would be grim

Last edited:
Commissario
Did the BBC listen to a different press conference to the one I heard?

“More noises have been heard in the search for the missing Titanic sub, the US Coast Guard says”

Soldato
Did the BBC listen to a different press conference to the one I heard?

The thing that winds me up, is that they {the media} were harking on about there being banging every 30 minutes and at the top of every hour, which is apparently the way to send an SOS if you're stuck in a submarine - seems legit.

However, the head honcho running the press conference, said he'd not heard anything about 30 min intervals, just that "they'd heard some banging"....

You don't know if people are just making stuff up for clicks, or whether what's being said is legit.

Associate
3. It's OK to use components not certified for something if you take on the validation, and there have been test dives at depth, I'm sure I heard in the documents they filed to get approval for the trip it had also been in a pressure chamber, and they do say the design intent is 2.25x safety margin (odd since 2.5x is more industry standard IME) which is not too bad.

Sorry to be picky but hydrostatic pressure tests are "at least 1.5 times the maximum working pressure". If you go too high, such as 2.5 times, then you actually risk stressing the material to the point it fails. 2.25 was probably done as it was still less than 90% of the weakest material's yield stress.

Back
Top Bottom