• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TITANX **

Permabanned
the GTX 980 was the company flagship till the titan x launched - which does NOT make it a mid range card by anyone's imagination.

Just because Nvidia's mid-range card can beat ATi's flagship & can then be sold as the flagship does not make my claim false & this has been demonstrated since the GTX680.

The 980 IS a mid-range card which has been sold at high end prices due to lack of competition in the marketplace.

Simply because they delayed the release of the flagship card in the range to milk consumers, is only sales capitalisation.

Or are you really that blind?

The information is everywhere if you choose to look for it, including in the structure of the design.

Permabanned
** Quoted post has been deleted **

Mid-range card sold for high-end price does not make it a high-end card... just an overpriced mid-range that is capable of being sold at an inflated price.

They purposefully held back the Titan X in order to milk consumers, just like they did with the 680/780/titan.

No one is disputing it was the fastest single GPU card, the Nvidia flagship. It was all that, and only a mid range part.

Exactly...

Not sure whether to congratulate Nvidia or be annoyed with ATi...

Either way, what they're doing is good for their stock holders and not good for us.

As soon as the competition drops out of the marketplace, the price of the flagship card doubled immediately.

Associate
The 980 is designed as a mid range card but ended up being sold as the flagship at high end prices due to lack of competition. In other words it is overpriced. Speaking of overpriced... :D

Soldato
No one is disputing it was the fastest single GPU card, the Nvidia flagship. It was all that, and only a mid range part.

Funny that because a lot of reviewers have back tracked on the 980 and put the 290x ahead of it in 4k.

I also looked over some recent benchmarks and the 980 was far less in front of the 780ti recently than it was at launch. Gee, I wonder why that is...

The 980 was barely any better than the ti and in some cases downright worse.

I'm all for hardware reviews but not when they're blatant sales pitches. The 980 is pretty much dead even with the 290x when you consider everything (4k especially)

Soldato
Flagship isn't the same as high-end.

The Titan-X is the company's flagship, and falls into the relatively new 'ultra-enthusiast' bracket of cards.

Technicalities aside, the 980 is named, marketed and priced as a high-end card.

Caporegime
I'm quite glad they didn't just launch them at the same time as the annoucement as I may have pulled the trigger and put it in my mITX system.

Now I've had a night to look at the benchmarks, digest it all and realise that even £800+ is a silly amount for 1x GPU, I can quite happily wait for the AMD 390x's.

The reality is, my mITX PC only drives a 1080p plasma and the Palit Jetstream Geforce 980GTX already in that PC, is more than capable at 1080p resolutions, so TitanX would've been complete overkill.

My primary Haswell-E system is more than fast enough at 4k (295x2/290x Trifire) but I'd be happy to upgrade in summer time with two 390x's and get the benefit of a sensible amount of VRAM (8GB).

There's not even concrete evidence telling us Maxwell 2 (inc Titan X) fully supports DirectX 12 in hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
Flagship isn't the same as high-end.

The Titan-X is the company's flagship, and falls into the relatively new 'ultra-enthusiast' bracket of cards.

Technicalities aside, the 980 is named, marketed and priced as a high-end card.

Ultra enthusiast = made up category to excuse charging a grand for a single GPU high end card.

It's AMD's fault they keep getting done over on launches lol. Bet a fiver this wouldn't be any of the above if the 390x was around first.

Soldato
Funny that because a lot of reviewers have back tracked on the 980 and put the 290x ahead of it in 4k.

I also looked over some recent benchmarks and the 980 was far less in front of the 780ti recently than it was at launch. Gee, I wonder why that is...

I'm all for hardware reviews but not when they're blatant sales pitches. The 980 is pretty much dead even with the 290x when you consider everything (4k especially)

I wouldn't want to use either card at 4k, slideshow fps is not playable fps. My 980 is considerably faster than the 780ti I had, plus it's much cooler and dumps a ton less heat into my loop. User benchmarks here are mostly topped by 980's.

Soldato
I wouldn't want to use either card at 4k, slideshow fps is not playable fps. My 980 is considerably faster than the 780ti I had, plus it's much cooler and dumps a ton less heat into my loop. User benchmarks here are mostly topped by 980's.

I meant in SLI. Obviously you need two cards for that res :)

Since when was the 780ti a hot card? My Titan Blacks are not hot. Noisy yeah but not hot.

Man of Honour

I have always considered the 290X the better option at 4k and have said so on many occasions.

Apart from the 290Xs being slightly faster in multi GPU 2160p setups they are a bit smoother too.

Back
Top Bottom