• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TITANX **

Caporegime
Yeah, at that point the 512bit bus helps.

That's why I really think the AMD 390x's will be killer for 1440p and especially 4k. Two of those in Crossfire should be pretty special.

Just annoying AMD don't update their crossfire profiles soon enough (grrr)

Soldato
980 was the flagship card but has taken a step down to the high end card because the TX is now the flagship card.

Does it really matter?

Exactly, does it really matter?

I think peoples opinions are often based on what they can justify to themselves to buy too, and continue to do that via expression.
With endless cash most here (including those down talking the Titan X) would be buying the latest and greatest each time new card came out and give little or no thought to the "was the card meant to be mid-range" argument.

Maybe buyers should sue Nvidia for selling a mid range card as high end (or at high end prices) or sue AMD for not providing the competition to Nvidia and therefore allowing Nvidia to overcharge for their supposedly mid-range cards - :D. That's as daft as the argument over mid-range/high end in my opinion- regardless of how many people supposedly believe it

Last edited:
Soldato
I have always considered the 290X the better option at 4k and have said so on many occasions.

Apart from the 290Xs being slightly faster in multi GPU 2160p setups they are a bit smoother too.

Aye deffo memory bus helping out.

At launch though and in the initial reviews no one even noticed the memory bus was hobbled.

Good thing now is that Nvidia can't hide it any more. More and more reviews are including 4k results so I reckon if they pull another 900 series they'll hopefully get laughed at.

Man of Honour
Aye deffo memory bus helping out.

At launch though and in the initial reviews no one even noticed the memory bus was hobbled.

Good thing now is that Nvidia can't hide it any more. More and more reviews are including 4k results so I reckon if they pull another 900 series they'll hopefully get laughed at.

I did and got a load of hassle for saying it.

The standard reply was they will be fixing it with a driver update, unfortunately then the 970 problems cropped up.:eek:

My reply was they would be fixing the bus problem by launching the Maxwell Titan.:D

Soldato
I did and got a load of hassle for saying it.

The standard reply was they will be fixing it with a driver update, unfortunately then the 970 problems cropped up.:eek:

My reply was they would be fixing the bus problem by launching the Maxwell Titan.:D

Sadly Kaap many people won't actually believe something about computers until they have it turned into their own actual problem.

I had massive VRAM issues with BF3 and my 295s (GTX not AMD). 796mb per core was just nowhere near enough.

Lesson learned, pay attention to VRAM stats when you spend out on cards next..

But even now I've seen people saying on other forums that they're keeping their 970 SLI because it's faster than a Titan X. LOL. Faster at 1080 and by lord, what on earth are you doing with two 970s for 1080p?!?!?

Associate

I think peoples opinions are often based on what they can justify to themselves to buy too, and continue to do that via expression.
With endless cash most here (including those down talking the Titan X) would be buying the latest and greatest each time new card came out and give little or no thought to the "was the card meant to be mid-range" argument.

Maybe buyers should sue Nvidia for selling a mid range card as high end (or at high end prices) or sue AMD for not providing the competition to Nvidia and therefore allowing Nvidia to overcharge for their supposedly mid-range cards - :D. That's as daft as the argument over mid-range/high end in my opinion- regardless of how many people supposedly believe it
If you ask the question 'does it matter' then it depends on your personal opinion of how much you like companies ripping you off and ripping off other people. Having a faster card is nice and all but if they're intentionally slowing down releases of higher end cards, over pricing mid range and up and then hiking prices up on each range of card then for some people (people with more money than sense) that won't matter. But those are the kind of people that never cared about price to begin with so there opinion is usually pretty stagnant and uninformative for the general market (remember, steam shows the majority of users rely on the 760 cards) but overall there actions still have an impact on others. So the answer is, if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about price, doesn't care about the market and how it effects others and doesn't care if he's being fleeced then no but if you care about anything but yourself ... yes. Even from a personal standpoint though, I don't like getting fleeced. No worries though, can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and it's a personal decision really so if you don't mind getting overcharged (because you simply want that performance) then that is fine.

Last edited:
Soldato

I swear there is something wrong with people seeing the truth behind marketing. I've debated this before about 6 months ago and was told I was in la la land for suggesting Gm204 wasn't a true flagship that represented a true high end replacement over Gk110. They then state just because something is due to come soon to replace it doesn't not make the current card a flagship, and they also then compare it to Amds older high end stating well how can a mid range card beat a current flagship.
I find this logic really strange, We always knew Nvidia were holding back the real fullfat Maxwell.

Can people not see the difference between the original Titan and this latest Titan. The original was based on a scaled down die harvested Compute Workstation card, it kind of justified it's price due to the Dp. However the latest Titan X is nothing more than full fat maxwell which we've been waiting for and knew about whilst Gm204 was making a scene.

Can you clearly not see that Gm204 has a shared family with desktop and Mobile Gpu's, If not then why does the mobile 970m/980m provide performance so close to a supposed high end gtx970/980 desktop card.
Why did this also occur for gk104 where did the gtx 680 then end up once gk110 was for sale?

Answer because they were mid range.

Soldato
I swear there is something wrong with people seeing the truth behind marketing. I've debated this before about 6 months ago and was told I was in la la land for suggesting Gm204 wasn't a true flagship that represented a true high end replacement over Gk110. They then state just because something is due to come soon to replace it doesn't not make the current card a flagship, and they also then compare it to Amds older high end stating well how can a mid range card beat a current flagship.
I find this logic really strange, We always knew Nvidia were holding back the real fullfat Maxwell.

Can people not see the difference between the original Titan and this latest Titan. The original was based on a scaled down die harvested Compute Workstation card, it kind of justified it's price due to the Dp. However the latest Titan X is nothing more than full fat maxwell which we've been waiting for and knew about whilst Gm204 was making a scene.

Can you clearly not see that Gm204 has a shared family with desktop and Mobile Gpu's, If not then why does the mobile 970m/980m provide performance so close to a supposed high end gtx970/980 desktop card.
Why did this also occur for gk104 where did the gtx 680 then end up once gk110 was for sale?

Answer because they were mid range.

+1.

But Jen, this time around it's not actually a proper Titan.. How do we still make them buy it?

Just slap 12gb VRAM on it, that's sure to make it sell..

Soldato
If you ask the question 'does it matter' then it depends on your personal opinion of how much you like companies ripping you off and ripping off other people. Having a faster card is nice and all but if they're intentionally slowing down releases of higher end cards, over pricing mid range and up and then hiking prices up on each range of card then for some people (people with more money than sense) that won't matter. But those are the kind of people that never cared about price to begin with so there opinion is usually pretty stagnant and uninformative for the general market (remember, steam shows the majority of users rely on the 760 cards) but overall there actions still have an impact on others. So the answer is, if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about price, doesn't care about the market and how it effects others and doesn't care if he's being fleeced then no but if you care about anything but yourself ... yes. Even from a personal standpoint though, I don't like getting fleeced. No worries though, can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and it's a personal decision really so if you don't mind getting overcharged (because you simply want that performance) then that is fine.

Thankyou for this post

Associate
Looking at 2560*1440 benchmarks, 980 SLI wipes the floor with this card for less money.

Some people like myself run ITX rigs, only room for one dual-slot card, so SLI/CF isn't a possibility unless it's a dual-gpu card like the 690 I already have, up until now there hasn't been a single-gpu card (or even a dual-slot dual gpu card that I know of) that has solidly outperformed my 690 at 1440p.

Also not everyone wants to succumb to the wait/hope/pray game of developer/driver SLI support with scaling that actually works.

Soldato
The GTX 980 was nvidias flagship card when released. Ie. It was their fastest single GPU. Its pretty obvious however that is was gimped and not as great as it could have been ( probably owing to lack of competitors). I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been a 6GB version of the new Titan X. Now nvidia release a full fat Maxwell Titan X and command even more premium just again as there are no viable competitors. As it becomes nvidias fastest single GPU it takes the flagship label (the 980 is still a high end card albeit gimped). I don't doubt for second we'll see nvidia squeeze another card into thus range and die, probably a 6GB GTX980Ti which will be marketed as full Maxwell for masses. At the end of the day they're a business and if people pay for their products then they'll continue to price cards as such. Could I afford a Titan X, yes but doesn't mean I will go and buy one. For me, gaming at 1440p I don't see it as worth while or value for money but for those that will get one, I hope you enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom