• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TITANX **

Mobster
Soldato
No DP ? Damn you Nvidia, damn you all to hell....

2626wbn.jpg

No biggie, SP is faster anyway :p

Soldato
Some people like myself run ITX rigs, only room for one dual-slot card, so SLI/CF isn't a possibility unless it's a dual-gpu card like the 690 I already have, up until now there hasn't been a single-gpu card (or even a dual-slot dual gpu card that I know of) that has solidly outperformed my 690 at 1440p.

Also not everyone wants to succumb to the wait/hope/pray game of developer/driver SLI support with scaling that actually works.

So the 295x2 isn't faster than your 690?

Soldato
** Quoted post has been deleted **

Mid-range card sold for high-end price does not make it a high-end card... just an overpriced mid-range that is capable of being sold at an inflated price.

They purposefully held back the Titan X in order to milk consumers, just like they did with the 680/780/titan.

+1

Soldato
Some people like myself run ITX rigs, only room for one dual-slot card, so SLI/CF isn't a possibility unless it's a dual-gpu card like the 690 I already have, up until now there hasn't been a single-gpu card (or even a dual-slot dual gpu card that I know of) that has solidly outperformed my 690 at 1440p.

Also not everyone wants to succumb to the wait/hope/pray game of developer/driver SLI support with scaling that actually works.

Obviously if you can't accommodate 2*980s in your rig then the 980 SLI solution isn't for you. But for the majority of people gaming at 1440 then this Titan is a massive waste of money compared to 980 SLI.

Your point about SLI driver support is spot on, right enough. It's a factor to be taken into consideration.

Associate
So the 295x2 isn't faster than your 690?

No, because to make it work in my rig I'd have to replace the psu, and finding one that would run it that will fit my case would be a pain, not to mention I'd have to disassemble 60%+ of the rig to change it, and then I'd have to re-do the entire cooling system on top of that.

And frankly, the time and money investment involved in doing the above is likely to equate to the cost of the Titan anyway, why make more work for myself?

Also again we run into the driver/scaling issue for CF, and we all know how good AMD are with drivers..

Soldato
No, because to make it work in my rig I'd have to replace the psu, and finding one that would run it that will fit my case would be a pain, not to mention I'd have to disassemble 60%+ of the rig to change it, and then I'd have to re-do the entire cooling system on top of that.

And frankly, the time and money investment involved in doing the above is likely to equate to the cost of the Titan anyway, why make more work for myself?

Also again we run into the driver/scaling issue for CF, and we all know how good AMD are with drivers..

No way. I recently bought a used 1250w Revolution for £60. Add in the 295x2 for £499 (when it was) and you're still nowhere near £800.

If you want a Titan X mate that's fine but please, please oh please don't try and make it sound economical that just sounds so silly.

Soldato
If you ask the question 'does it matter' then it depends on your personal opinion of how much you like companies ripping you off and ripping off other people. Having a faster card is nice and all but if they're intentionally slowing down releases of higher end cards, over pricing mid range and up and then hiking prices up on each range of card then for some people (people with more money than sense) that won't matter. But those are the kind of people that never cared about price to begin with so there opinion is usually pretty stagnant and uninformative for the general market (remember, steam shows the majority of users rely on the 760 cards) but overall there actions still have an impact on others. So the answer is, if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about price, doesn't care about the market and how it effects others and doesn't care if he's being fleeced then no but if you care about anything but yourself ... yes. Even from a personal standpoint though, I don't like getting fleeced. No worries though, can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and it's a personal decision really so if you don't mind getting overcharged (because you simply want that performance) then that is fine.

I find it odd that some feel they can almost dictate to Nvida what a high end card is (when nothing faster available at the time) and try to dictate the pricing related status too.
Nobody is being ripped off imo - we all have the chance to buy or not.

It's also just business and we'd all do things the same way if we ran a similar company with similar competition

Last edited:
Associate
Except that the 295x2 new isn't £499 anymore, cheapest OCUK is £679.99 and when you add in a reputable PSU (bear in mind it has to actually fit) you're likely looking at more like £750, plus the time taken to disassemble/reconfigure/reroute to fit the GFX card and cooling and basically, that's not economically sound if the TX is at the low end of the estimate and can be simply swapped in with no hassle.

Associate
Except that the 295x2 new isn't £499 anymore, cheapest OCUK is £679.99 and when you add in a reputable PSU (bear in mind it has to actually fit) you're likely looking at more like £750, plus the time taken to disassemble/reconfigure/reroute to fit the GFX card and cooling and basically, that's not economically sound if the TX is at the low end of the estimate and can be simply swapped in with no hassle.

It can still be had for that price elsewhere

Caporegime
If you buy the card and feel ripped off, then that is your own fault. If you buy the card and don't feel ripped off, happy days. I never understand the mentality of those who insist that nvidia are ripping us off. It isn't a compulsory purchase and you have a choice.

Associate
If you buy the card and feel ripped off, then that is your own fault. If you buy the card and don't feel ripped off, happy days. I never understand the mentality of those who insist that nvidia are ripping us off. It isn't a compulsory purchase and you have a choice.

I tend to find the people sprouting this crap are the people with no intentions of buying one or/can't afford one.

The thing lights green its prity bad ass!! just a little overkill for my needs right now :)

Caporegime
I tend to find the people sprouting this crap are the people with no intentions of buying one or/can't afford one.

The thing lights green its prity bad ass!! just a little overkill for my needs right now :)

I could afford one, I would feel ripped off and it wouldn't be of much use to me though.

I've got a GTX 980 in a PC that I've barely switched on!

Back
Top Bottom