Toasted Sandwiches

Soldato
just tried ham, cheese, tomato and lettuce...in a panini machine but just with slices of bread so same idea really, I thought the tomato/lettuce would just go to mush with the heat but was quite nice and made them seem a bit healthier :p

mushroom and sausage or bacon might be nice but would have to fry the mushroom first i think...

and yeah, you need to be careful, a toastie can be just as dangerous as a pop-tart :o

Soldato
I thought the butter was standard...to stop it sticking to the plate?

I used to put the butter on the toastie machine but now butter the bread, for some reason

Associate
Made a ham and cheese for lunch today. Specifically Wiltshire cured ham and Jarlsberg on white bloomer.

I just do mine in a pan rather than a machine.

Soldato
Are these things really worth it as I've been thinking about getting one for ages. I remember we had one when I was a kid and I remember we didn't have it long due to the mess they made and the need to clean it after each use that in the end it never got used.

Soldato
Are these things really worth it as I've been thinking about getting one for ages. I remember we had one when I was a kid and I remember we didn't have it long due to the mess they made and the need to clean it after each use that in the end it never got used.

I think they're great tbh. Get one with removable plates and they are easy to clean.

Pretty sure it's still called a toastie :p The end result is basically the same anyway!

I'm not seeing it, the machine crimps the bread and keeps the filling inside. Not sure how you do that in a pan!

Soldato
Yes - you need the compression and heat from the upper plate in a purpose machine to moltenize/melt the filling.

Our just has flat plates, so full slice, and you don't get much outflow, even if you don't reduce the filling much at the edge,
which, I guess you need to do with crimping ones too.

Associate
I'm not seeing it, the machine crimps the bread and keeps the filling inside. Not sure how you do that in a pan!

Sure, you don't get the crimping effect in a pan but as far as I'm aware that doesn't stop it from being a toastie. A quick Google image check supports my hypothesis :)

Yes - you need the compression and heat from the upper plate in a purpose machine to moltenize/melt the filling.

A pan is very much capable of achieving melted filling.

Soldato

Our just has flat plates, so full slice, and you don't get much outflow, even if you don't reduce the filling much at the edge,
which, I guess you need to do with crimping ones too.

I always used to put mine on the George Foreman grill, like said it doesn't crimp the edges to seal but a ham, cheese and pickle sandwich was lovely, alas the George died a death and we never replaced it, keep hankering for a real toastie now after reading this dammit, can't justify another kitchen gadget.

Back
Top Bottom