Tory MP says people using term ‘white privilege’ should be reported to the Home Office as extremists

Soldato
It's a reasonable question so not sure why you are dodging.

Do you see the same things going on today?
Well, @robfosters is about the same age as me, but says he's never seen any racism other than BNP types.

I, on the other hand, witnessed it in two different workplaces, coming from the business owners themselves, in a way that has real effects beyond the trauma of direct racism: we're talking career opportunity.

So whether I've seen any racism in the workplace in the 13 years since I saw CV filtering going on (and 10 years since I left the ********* running small practice accounting businesses behind) isn't a very reliable measure on anything.

Man of Honour

The problem you have is that absence of seeing it doesn't mean it's gone away. It may be unsaid or even unconscious, which is why having names removed from CVs during sifting or blind interviews shows different results from sifting and interviewing with full names.

Soldato
I've also seen lots of CV filtering happen before my very eyes (early to mid 2000's), especially on names, but also age, sex etc..

However it was not on the colour of their skin it was literally on anyone 'foreign', and at that time more often than not aimed at white eastern Europeans.

And this is the problem, white privilege is a moronic concept that addresses nothing and seems to have been coined by idiots for idiots, and that goes for all identity politics...

There are issues as we all agree, however if you focus on individual equality then it fixes it for everyone as by far does the most good in getting towards true equality of opportunity.

The funniest was being told that I'd have to lose weight to progress within a business because the business owner hated 'fatties'..

Soldato
Well, clearly. I took my white privilege and cashed it in for a professional career. I wasn't in a position, coming from a poor background with no professional contacts, to risk rocking the boat, but that doesn't put my silence in the morally "right" category.

Taking that experience to illustrate to people, now, that such structural racism exists doesn't necessarily level that moral debt, but it might help improve attitudes.

If I hadn't borne witness to the admission of such CV filtering (******* shameless they were), I'd not even realise I'd benefitted - I'd imagine many others have not had such overt examples, so can understand them not seeing the problem so easily.

Thanks for the response.

I can't recall seeing anything similar to that when I have recruited. It would have annoyed me, so I am sure I would remember that.

I like to think I would have not put up with it if I'd seen it, but it's easy to say that.

Personally, I think white privilege is an unhelpfully polarising term. It's just annoying.

Soldato
The problem you have is that absence of seeing it doesn't mean it's gone away.

Agreed, I wasn't trying to suggest the problem has gone away but from experience, I'd say it has become very less prevalent and very much unacceptable. Now the recent trend in white bashing, identity politics seems to be undoing the progress we as a society in the UK have made.

It may be unsaid or even unconscious

I still think that may be a very small minority of people.

which is why having names removed from CVs during sifting or blind interviews shows different results from sifting and interviewing with full names.

Which is a positive move to exclude a very small minority of people in the recruitment process.

Soldato
The term “white privilege” does seem to be stating the blindingly obvious in the context of a white dominated society.

However, suggesting that teachers found criticising the Tory Party should be sacked does seem like the ravings of someone with limited life experience and perhaps with mental health issues . . . or of a member of the ERG.

I suspect that Gullis needs help.

It's not serious, he's saying something ridiculous to highlight an issue into the limelight. Just like that Labour MP that was asking for a curfew for all men after 7pm, it was obvious that she wasn't being serious and was saying it to get headlines in papers.

And it's worked, we're all now here talking about it and trending on twitter for a few days.

Associate

There have been numerous studies done on this. Send out identical CVs, some with "western" names, some with "foreign" names. The ones with western names will get more call-backs. If you don't believe it, you can test it yourself.

Soldato
I cannot acknowledge that because in my 41 years of existence I have never seen it happen, apart from a few idiots at the football and a couple of BNP marches.

Every step of my life I have been educated alongside black people, worked alongside black people and been in hospital beds next to black people. At no point did I see any discrimination. I believe a problem is being created where one simply doesn’t exist. But it soon will do if this constant anti white agenda keeps being pushed.

The same for me, on top of that, i had the same teachers as black people, same lessons as black people, same books as black people. But i took advantage of the situation and paid attention in class. In contrast, all the black males in my class decided to just mess around. I even made friends with one of them and desperately tried to encourage him to study, and I thought i was making progress with him until he blew me off and prefer to mess around with his mates. Interestingly, all the black females in my class did study and made something of themselves.

So it wasn't even wholly a race thing, there's just an attitude problem with black males and then they blame everyone else but themselves later down the line.

Soldato
We just basically need to kick identity politics out of everywhere including schools, it's a cancer on society.

Treat one another as unique individuals based on their character and not members of a collective group based on their appearance.

Just because one white person does something racist doesn't mean all white people are racist.

Just because one man attacks a woman doesn't mean all men are a threat to women.

Just because one Muslim commits terrorism doesn't mean all Muslim's are terrorists.

Just because one police officer commits a terrible crime doesn't mean the whole force are evil.

Spot on :)

Associate
Soldato
What makes you think that unconsciously filtering out people is only applicable to a really small minority of people? That's not rhetorical; do you know or understand how you've formed that opinion?

Like most people posting here, I have to base it on my own experiences. My current role in IT has seen me work alongside many people from differing cultures and racial backgrounds. If the problem was as widespread as some people say, that would be reflected in my experience but it is not.

Soldato
The main issue is that privilege exists in all aspects of life and balancing the scale for comparison of person A to person B is difficult. Generalising one demographic over another is divisive when collective lived experience doesn't really exist, we are all individuals with a myriad of challenges and experiences which have affected us. Being aware of these types of challenges is important for all of us, but weighing one against the other is not easy, nor is it necessarily right to try.

Man of Honour
Like most people posting here, I have to base it on my own experiences. My current role in IT has seen me work alongside many people from differing cultures and racial backgrounds. If the problem was as widespread as some people say, that would be reflected in my experience but it is not.

I'm seeing a failure of critical thinking here and it's rife with loads of people in this thread: "I don't see it or its not obvious to me, therefore it doesn't exist". This is simply a fallacy.

Caporegime
There have been numerous studies done on this. Send out identical CVs, some with "western" names, some with "foreign" names. The ones with western names will get more call-backs. If you don't believe it, you can test it yourself.
I bet if you did the same thing with only english names the more common poor sounding people or the people who went to crap schools get binned.

wouldn't surprise me if your post code matters too.

It's not about race it's about the perception that some people are better than others because their family isn't poor

Back
Top Bottom