Tower block fire - london

Heineken is generally fit for purpose so of course it would bear no blame whereas it seems this fridge may well have been faulty so must take some, the manufacturers anyway.

What I'm getting at is that the fridge might have started a fire, but it's not the reason why this became such a massive disaster, so I struggle to understand why it's being focused on so much. In terms of what I deal with day-to-day, if an entire network was brought down because a switch failed then while the outage might have been caused by something within Cisco's remit (electronic component, software etc.), the reason the failure was an issue was due to poor design of the system as a whole.

There quite simply shouldn't be any deaths as the result of a fridge catching fire in someone's flat.

and allegedly the owner of the fridge + neighbour weren't exactly helpful either by leaving the door open
Surely the door should have closed automatically?
I know the low rise flats near me all have doors that close if left (I think it's rising hinges on the flat doors, spring closers on common area ones), much the annoyance of my sister who locked her keys in more than once.

Although I think one of the complaints was that the doors in Grenfell were not auto closing.

There is absolutely no way a relatively common issue like a simple appliance fire should have been able to spread how it did, pretty much regardless of the make of the appliance or if someone didn't push their door closed on the way out.

60s 70s flats might look ugly but they are actually quite a clever design.
As an electrician I have worked on the ones in Manchester, I was also involved in the cladding program (we fitted electric storage heaters).
They are essentially concrete boxes, sides, top and bottom. Even the fiercest fire would be contained long enough for the fire to be put out without spreading from the riser.
A water main comes up from the ground floor and is accessible on all levels, because of this inherent fire proof nature of the buildings, only local smoke detectors were fitted (per flat).
The cladding totally changes the game and is a heartbreaking nightmare.
I cannot begin to fully understand the horrors of that night, but one things for sure, it was uncesssary loss of life that should have been avoided.

I think an element of it is that people want to be seen to be doing something. It doesn't seem like a justifiable response to finding out that your building is clad with plastic-filled panels - any removal/replacement is going to take several months to plan and complete so it seems a bit weird to evacuate people for a night or two.

Surely the door should have closed automatically?
I know the low rise flats near me all have doors that close if left (I think it's rising hinges on the flat doors, spring closers on common area ones), much the annoyance of my sister who locked her keys in more than once.

Although I think one of the complaints was that the doors in Grenfell were not auto closing.

I suspect the latter is the case, insufficient fire doors etc.. still it likely didn't help matters.

There is absolutely no way a relatively common issue like a simple appliance fire should have been able to spread how it did, pretty much regardless of the make of the appliance or if someone didn't push their door closed on the way out.

indeed, no one is claiming otherwise AFAIK, just pointing other potential factors

Putting the residents up in hotels? Knowing the council it'll be a Premier Inn .... Perhaps even the one that our prime minister opened in 2015.

Good luck getting a hotel in London in the next month or two, with this and Wombledon soon.
Wimbledon is miles away from Camden, and gets about the same amount of fans visits on a day as a Crystal Palace football game (which isn't that far from Wimbledon).

Wondering why the mainstream media has not reported why most of the residents were illegal asylum seekers or the fact they were living illegally due to illegal subletting. It's shocking about what really happened compared to what the UK media try to tell us what they want us think what happened ....

Wondering why the mainstream media has not reported why most of the residents were illegal asylum seekers or the fact they were living illegally due to illegal subletting. It's shocking about what really happened compared to what the UK media try to tell us what they want us think what happened ....

Even if that is true, I wouldn't find that relevant at all.

If it's not being reported in the media, how did you find out that most of the resident are illegal asylum seekers? Also, what does "illegal asylum seekers" even mean?

So the three impacted Plymouth towers are quite local to me (same council ward, the towers themselves are about a mile from my house), and comparing the two cases makes for interesting reading.

The cladding of the three blocks in Plymouth was completed in 2000, commissioned by the local labour government and under new labour, during a time of large public spending increases. That, for me, kind of puts pay to the idea that austerity or any particular political party is at fault.

The insulation used behind the cladding is different, using Rockwood rather than polyisocyanurate as the material, which interestingly ties in with the statement from the metropolitan police that both the insulation and cladding at Grenfell were part of the problem. (There have been fires in the towers in Devonport that have been contained to the flat as expected).

This further reinforces the idea that something went very wrong at Grenfell, as the cladding seems to have been ok when installed correctly elsewhere. While I support in full the current approach of resolving any buildings with incorrect cladding on them, we need to ensure that the focus on the cladding itself doesn't mean we overlook other aspects.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/dev...adding-fears/story-30407499-detail/story.html

Back
Top Bottom