Tower block fire - london

Just watched an interesting interview on the BBC with the leader of Birmingham City Council.
He said that Birmingham has 213 tower blocks and that none of them had the cladding fitted that Grenfell did. He also said that all the towers had sprinklers installed in the communal areas.
The thing that surprised me most though was his statement that the council had costed for retro fitting every flat with sprinklers at a cost of £31m. In my mind that seemed not a lot of money for the shear volume of flats involved. If his figure of £31m is correct, then why on earth were councils around the country pleading "cost" whenever sprinklers were mentioned in previous reports.

So the three impacted Plymouth towers are quite local to me (same council ward, the towers themselves are about a mile from my house), and comparing the two cases makes for interesting reading.

The cladding of the three blocks in Plymouth was completed in 2000, commissioned by the local labour government and under new labour, during a time of large public spending increases. That, for me, kind of puts pay to the idea that austerity or any particular political party is at fault.

The insulation used behind the cladding is different, using Rockwood rather than polyisocyanurate as the material, which interestingly ties in with the statement from the metropolitan police that both the insulation and cladding at Grenfell were part of the problem. (There have been fires in the towers in Devonport that have been contained to the flat as expected).

This further reinforces the idea that something went very wrong at Grenfell, as the cladding seems to have been ok when installed correctly elsewhere. While I support in full the current approach of resolving any buildings with incorrect cladding on them, we need to ensure that the focus on the cladding itself doesn't mean we overlook other aspects.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/dev...adding-fears/story-30407499-detail/story.html

Are you saying (in summary) that because different, essentially safer, cladding was used in the plymouth blocks 17 years ago, you believe that austerity and current government effectively are proven to have had no part in the issues at Grenfell, as I can't see how that follows.

Are you saying (in summary) that because different, essentially safer cladding was used in the plymouth blocks 17 years ago you believe that austerity and current government effectively are proven to have had no part in the issues at Grenfell as I can't see how that follows.

Rockwool is generally the cheaper option compared something like celotex as used in the Grenfell tower, so I doubt that choice was due to austerity.

But no, my key point was that we should not get distracted looking at cladding to the isolation or other factors, nor blaming current administrations for problems that span across multiple areas with different histories or when the cladding was fitted in different economic times.

What matters is working out what went wrong at Grenfell and ensuring it cannot happen anywhere else.

Rockwool is generally the cheaper option compared something like celotex as used in the Grenfell tower, so I doubt that choice was due to austerity.

But no, my key point was that we should not get distracted looking at cladding to the isolation or other factors, nor blaming current administrations for problems that span across multiple areas with different histories or when the cladding was fitted in different economic times.

What matters is working out what went wrong at Grenfell and ensuring it cannot happen anywhere else.

I'd agree with the last part, at this point and with the information to hand, I'd take nothing off the table, including Austerity and Central and Local Government decisions as potential issues, I'm not sure what is gained by doing so. If we can show that a more expensive option was picked over, essentially a cheaper and safer option, the how and why that choice was made, will be crucial to understand.

IMHO at this point, fully open/transparent investigation is vital and not only should it be entirely independent of government/vested interests, it should be seen to be as such!

It doesn't feel that way when watching the news. Trying to blame others and save their own behinds at the same time trying to pretend they care.

It doesn't feel that way when watching the news. Trying to blame others and save their own behinds at the same time trying to pretend they care.

I'm not really bothered about the feelings of people with vested interests in the decision making process (past and present), that has lead to these deaths, are you?

The council says they will reimburse people who have paid for their own accommodation.

I wonder what the cutoff is? Hotels in that area are not exactly cheap, you can be looking at £200 a night just for a budget hotel. If they have to be gone a week, that's nigh on £1500.

I think in part that's true but also bare in mind PIR wasn't widely used outside of timber frame construction back then due to its high cost.

Also I think it's wrong to say we shouldn't be blaming the current government, in part for this when it's been established that they have sat on the report into the lakanal house fire which suggested changes to legislatio. Considering grenfell may have benefited or been prevented by said changes, I think it's absolutely right to question what motivated them to suppress that report.

Why are you talking about polyisocyanurate ??
Grenfell didn't use polyisocyanurate, the cladding was the cheap & nasty polyethylene

The current findings are that the insulation (which was PIR at grenfell) was more combustible than the cladding was, at the temperatures recorded. PE cladding has been found to be fine when used with rockwool and is detailed properly.

It come back to what I've been saying in this thread since day one, there will be no one reason for this fire but a combination of factors that caused it, which may well be unique.

:confused:
The insulation is part of the external cladding! But yes I understand the most combustible part was the cheap & nasty polyethylene, it's maximum continuous operating temperature is nearly half that of Polyisocyanurate (80C compared to 140C)
With regards to Rockwool then I agree, adding any type of mineral based product will improve the overall fire resistance.

:confused:
The insulation is part of the external cladding! But yes I understand the most combustible part was the cheap & nasty polyethylene, it's maximum continuous operating temperature is nearly half that of Polyisocyanurate (80C compared to 140C)
With regards to Rockwool then I agree, adding any type of mineral based product will improve the overall fire resistance.

Your mistaken, the insulation celotex RS5000 iirc was mechanically fixed to the frame, then there is a breather membrane then a there is a 35-50mm airgap then the cladding panel on an aluminium frame (fixed to the concrete frame).

Two products, celotex and raynobond. The insulation was not part of the cladding.

Maybe if we didn't have such a blame ridden compo-culture with squadrons of "No win,No Fee" lawyers swarming like flies round a corpse, hoping to get a piece of the action, whenever something like this happens. Then we would all be able to react to disasters like this in a more objective manner and achieve quicker and more positive results...

Your mistaken, the insulation celotex RS5000 iirc was mechanically fixed to the frame, then there is a breather membrane then a there is a 35-50mm airgap then the cladding panel on an aluminium frame (fixed to the concrete frame).

Two products, celotex and raynobond. The insulation was not part of the cladding.

Yep, I stand corrected:

puPVa2o.png

From what I have read both the Insulation (1) and the cladding (3) both failed the fire safety test and burnt with ease !! FFS :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom