Tower block fire - london

I think "ignorant" would be a more appropriate word. Someone who is ignorant of how helicopters work and how flight in general works might think that it's possible, maybe even quite easy. It happens in films, right?

I think "ignorant" would be a more appropriate word. Someone who is ignorant of how helicopters work and how flight in general works might think that it's possible, maybe even quite easy. It happens in films, right?
And you just have to look earlier in this very thread for people asking why the police/private helicopters couldn't have rescued people.

But he is correct.

Eh? You're claiming that you can read a person's mind and know what word they intended to use so much better than they do that you're sure they're wrong when they state they did intend to use the word they used. That's a rather dubious claim.

Saying that you think their opinion is wrong is one thing. Saying that they meant to use a different word with a different meaning is quite another, especially in direct reply to them confirming that they meant to use the word they used.

I've watched this and part of the interview shows a solicitors letter outlining the complaint that the police should have foreseen the effect of having a helicopter in such circumstances would have had on the residents (making them think it would pick them up from the roof). Also, the guy said that his family repeatedly asked for a helicopter rescue but, as the call handler did not explicitly say no rather that they would forward the request, the family assumed this was a green light for a rooftop extraction.

Not sure how many people expected to be picked up by a tiny helicopter when something like this is required:

How would people know it was a tiny helicopter based on a telephone call?

And how is it that South Africa can manage a helicopter rescue but one of the richest countries in the world can't?

Did it happen to have the only paper trail for the Grenfell Towers contract in it, to use their cladding, knowing that it it didn't meet fire standards for residential tower blocks?
According to the article the fire was by the furnace, so probably XD

The complaint is that the presence of the helicopter gave false hope. In reality, it will have helped save lives and and would have been providing valuable visual data to crews on the ground.

The presence of a lot of things can give false hope.

Members of public... hope.
Trampoline... hope.
Rain... hope.
Helicopter... hope.

Hell even in this case firefighters to many gave a false hope.

What do we do? Ban all of the above just because there might be situations where they can not reasonably save everyone so we do not give 'false hope' to anyone?

As has been said, it needs to be rejected and highlighted as a ridiculous complaint.

Good thing the place was insured as well.

Most places have insurance. In fact all commercial buildings will have a form of insurance in place... i don't understand people who use this as a starting point for ZOMG CONSPIRACY!!!

London Tory council to charge tower block residents £4,000 to fit sprinklers.

Surely the building owners should be paying for this. I wouldn't expect to be told by some landlord that I had to pay for something that should've been there in the first place.

"However, some residents remain unconvinced of the need for the sprinklers – describing them as a public relations exercise by Tory councillors who have watched their colleagues in Kensington and Chelsea being ripped to political shreds – while others who welcome plans for the installation are angered at the cost."

Erm....what? Did they not see Grenfall details? I guess no guarantee that sprinklers would've done much, but it's better than nothing surely.

Better than sprinklers would be ensuring that people making modifications to buildings properly understand the impact of those changes

London Tory council to charge tower block residents £4,000 to fit sprinklers.

Surely the building owners should be paying for this. I wouldn't expect to be told by some landlord that I had to pay for something that should've been there in the first place.

"However, some residents remain unconvinced of the need for the sprinklers – describing them as a public relations exercise by Tory councillors who have watched their colleagues in Kensington and Chelsea being ripped to political shreds – while others who welcome plans for the installation are angered at the cost."

Erm....what? Did they not see Grenfall details? I guess no guarantee that sprinklers would've done much, but it's better than nothing surely.

They'd probably be the first ones to kick off if their place burned down without any sprinklers fitted.

Back
Top Bottom