Tower block fire - london

I have to wonder just how far the UK and EU authorities will be prepared to go to make us all love the "right" things and abhor the "wrong" things? Social cohesion is at the most tenuous that I can recall. I also have to reflect how far Draconian admonition of nasty words and dubious thoughts will push the more extreme members of society to more and more dramatic opposition to it. And to think that I thought the smoking ban Draconian, how things are `a changing.

It's not a crime to be a ****. It's a crime to be a a **** in public.

The still the BBC published on their web-site https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46106224 (and will show on the news ?)
seem to satsify the intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" clause, to a greater degree than the original protagonists, who probably did not intend it to be published;
what does the law say about journalistic license ?

Are you saying journalist should be prohibited from reporting on such twatery?

They haven't mention names. If the public know who these people are it's because the culprits published a video of themselves in the act.

I don't have to be looking, someone posted it here! This is literally the first place I saw it.

Yes. And it could have been any of us. I might have, you might have, I can't be bothered to look and see which of us actually did. And we might have done so for any number of reasons. To show how disgusting some people are and express our outrage. Because we found it funny. Or just because we thought people here might find it interesting to discuss. And by this reasoning could be prosecuted! But one thing I'm very certain of is that the people in the video or who first filmed it, DIDN'T post it here. So should they be prosecuted? (I'm personally of the mind that Free Speech should protect this but even under current laws, I don't think they're actually culpable).

After some minor digging, incidentally, I found that the original upload was to their WhatsApp group. Someone presumably in that group, decided to share it more widely. So there really doesn't seem to have been an intent to share it with the wider public at the time or later, except by one person unknown. Who may or may not have even been present.

Last edited:
Maybe because he wasn't actually burned alive, unlike the victims of Grenfell Tower.

Please... it's no more offensive than calling somebody a retard

yet twitter is littered with those comments - https://twitter.com/search?q=retard&src=typd&lang=en-gb

You don't see mothers/fathers/sufferers of autism calling for these people to be arrested for offensive words

If you think it's acceptable for people to be arrested for this kind of thing then go live in China or Russia or Korea or some other ******** totalitarian state instead of trying to force your ignorant and pathetic views on others

If you think it's acceptable for people to be arrested for this kind of thing then go live in China or Russia or Korea or some other ******** totalitarian state instead of trying to force your ignorant and pathetic views on others

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tower-block-fire-london.18782946/page-164#post-32253741
I'm not saying they should be arrested and charged, but it's pretty vile what they've done and the social outrage should probably be enough.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tower-block-fire-london.18782946/page-165#post-32254081
Do I think they should be arrested? Not really.

Where am I condoning it? All I've had today is other posters putting words in my mouth.

What I am arguing is that you can't just brush it under the carpet when it's out there for all to see.

I'm objecting to ridiculous comments like this:

Arrest the media for spreading this!!!!

What I am arguing is that you can't just brush it under the carpet when it's out there for all to see.

Why not ?

There's more people on the planet who will find "retard" offensive than there are Grenfell survivors/neighbours, people get called a retard daily yet you don't see the media feigning outrage over every single use of the word on twitter

For some reason burning a ******* cardboard box that replicates a disaster is suddenly the most abhorrent thing any body can possibly do because the media is telling us it is, they're as complicit by attempting to get clicks/views under the guise of outrage

Why not ?

There's more people on the planet who will find "retard" offensive than there are Grenfell survivors/neighbours, people get called a retard daily yet you don't see the media feigning outrage over every single use of the word on twitter

For some reason burning a ******* cardboard box that replicates a disaster is suddenly the most abhorrent thing any body can possibly do because the media is telling us it is, they're as complicit by attempting to get clicks/views under the guise of outrage

And what's with the blowing this thing up even more with statements like this? Just because they are calling out this behaviour doesn't make it the worst possible thing in the entire world.

Yes - Take action.
/
/
Does it directly affect anyone?
\
\
No - Stop being a pussy.

Yes this was tasteless but it was completely victimless. This is when as a society we roll our eyes, tut a little and get on with life. OR! Make a massive hoohaa about it and prosecute the idiots who do it.

Ultimately I just wish people would grow thicker skins tbh. If everyone stopped being offended by everything and took life a little less seriously they'd find themselves in a much more peaceful state of mind.

Everyone I have spoken to says the same thing "what a bunch of ***** but who cares".

I don't know how people go through life with any happiness when things like this actually bother them. Accept that other people have a different sense of humour to you and some people are just *****. If they break the law then fair enough but if its just something you don't like, ignore them.

Everyone I have spoken to says the same thing "what a bunch of ***** but who cares".

I don't know how people go through life with any happiness when things like this actually bother them. Accept that other people have a different sense of humour to you and some people are just *****. If they break the law then fair enough but if its just something you don't like, ignore them.
My thoughts entirely.

Yes - Take action.
/
/
Does it directly affect anyone?
\
\
No - Stop being a pussy.

Yes this was tasteless but it was completely victimless. This is when as a society we roll our eyes, tut a little and get on with life. OR! Make a massive hoohaa about it and prosecute the idiots who do it.

Ultimately I just wish people would grow thicker skins tbh. If everyone stopped being offended by everything and took life a little less seriously they'd find themselves in a much more peaceful state of mind.

Just posting to say "Yes, I agree with you"

Shame there isnt an up/down arrow scheme in place so as to avoid unnecessary posts of agreement/disagreement. :p

Back
Top Bottom