Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Ongoing saga will be around for years in my opinion though it'll vary. USA is worse off then Italy quite possibly for example, so sentiment will vary but underlying fundamentals are dire

On the flip side that likely helps gold pricing to stay at least as high as it is and I think it could double triple, etc

I post to bring Good 'news' - Oil seems bullish to me which is positive for those of us with oil producers.
Was watching it today to see if it can hold the lows for the week which is important to undo the damage from August when it lost a multi year bull trend.
Oil rose 3 dollars in 2 hours which is a very big bounce right on cue and hopefully is good confirmation, if I had they money to bet it would have been very profitable. Hopefully not just a speculative/chart thing but lasting

Unlike gold its not as strong a market, this ties into the falls BP shares saw I think

I bought back some BP today but a bit too early, USA open was the best time.
The New York pricing shows them breaking upwards still, again it needs to close the week above its lows

Read on iii for PET thats its valued at 5m because they have 3.5m cash reserves but also a 10% share in an Iraq development & a license for an Irish oil block.
It appears good risk/reward and price has dropped from poor interest /impatience more then selling by major holders but not sure if I will bother yet or not

CNR still good above 7.2, reacting to that and gold price stays high.
Bought back some RBS as it looks oversold, its risky and due for bad results ? but also likely at half price

XcQ50.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/commodities/8858493/Central-banks-top-up-gold-reserves.html

The comparable valuations between Red Emperor and Range Resources are interesting. What is your assessment of that?

Greg Bandy: If you read the research note by GMP, who cover Africa Oil, they value a 20% interest in Puntland at A$350 million, which is a A$2.33 valuation on our Aussie shares, or £1.50 in UK terms. Old Park Lane Capital’s valuation is a bit less and probably the most conservative but their valuation of a 20% interest in Puntland is still five times our current market cap, as is what they value a 20% interest in Georgia.

Range is capped at around A$450 million and it’s up to the market to work out what their four assets are worth – Texas, Trinidad, Puntland and Georgia. How do you chop up that A$450 million for those four assets? It is probably fair to say that a bit under half of that is Trinidad and Texas. They’ve just paid A$70 million for Trinidad and Texas is not worth A$100 million because it is not cash flow positive at the moment, it certainly will be but it is not just yet. If you say that A$170 million of Range’s A$450 million market cap is in those two assets that means that A$280 million is attributable to the other two and they are the two that we have got.

Tony King: Range has got a 40% stake in Georgia so you can say probably the market is giving them a value for what we have got of A$200 million plus. I think you can comfortably get to those numbers.
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Red-Emperor-flotation-offers-stockopedia-1693369417.html?x=0&.v=1

Cashback offer, seems quite decent - http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/transferr...ntent=large button&theSource=E3729&Override=1

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I'd like to ask a question. Seen it a few time now but not sure what it means when it goes into auction? I know it usually occurs when the share is rising of falling rapidly, then the share price usually comes out with a big jump either way. But what is actually happening?

Associate
What do people think to bank shares as a long term investment? Do RBS and Lloyds shares represent a market fear they will either collapse or recover? They seem incredibly low for banks that could be fine in the long term.

Associate
I have shares in lloyds, I don't think it's a huge risk as the government is so heavily involved and cant see another northan rock happening. can only really see them going up from these levels long term.

Soldato
Everybody on this forum owns Lloyds and RBS shares

If they do go broke you will be paying for them and if the government actually sells at a profit or near to a long term feasible valuation its about worth 1p off the income tax I'd guess. So you're already involved

into auction? I know it usually occurs when the share is rising of falling rapidly, then the share price usually comes out with a big jump either way. But what is actually happening?

Read a book on it maybe but I think auction is when they spend 5 mins matching orders and the average price is taken and used at the end.
Shares are traded before 8am and after 4.30pm its just we retail people dont get to see it, so unfair.
Here is the Cisco after hours price for 10.30pm GMT or 5.30pm NYC

I sold them Friday, really not sure where they will go. I think they could get back to zero on the year, maybe BP also & a few things

Just need RRL to pick up now
Gave a brief glimmer today and pulled back which was on cue but whatever made it jump could continue as it was on decent volume. Fed up trying to guess, didnt sell any at todays peak

Sold GKP which has bid speculation and bought CLF. 462 could be a top for BP but oil is strong with the force!

Soldato
Couple of tech related stocks I came across. Vivendi is yielding close to 9%, its a very beaten up European stock.
But surely makers of WOW also bring in a lot of cash as well, not sure if its too negative because of the debt worries recently

They just bought EMI, PE shows 5.5

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ision-blizzard-stake-after-emi-tvn-deals.html

E5Jlu.jpg

QLL8t.jpg

Also Broadsoft, never heard of it myself. Doing well possibly doing much better

BroadSoft, Inc. is a global provider of software that enables fixed-line, mobile and cable service providers to deliver voice and multimedia services over their Internet protocol-based (IP-based), networks. The Company’s software, BroadWorks, enables its service provider customers to provide enterprises and consumers with a range of cloud-based, or hosted, IP multimedia communications, such as hosted IP private branch exchanges (PBXs), video calling, unified communications (UC), collaboration and converged mobile and fixed-line services. BroadWorks performs a critical network function by serving as the software element that delivers and coordinates voice, video and messaging communications through a service provider’s IP-based network. On October 27, 2010, the Company acquired all of the assets of Casabi, Inc. (Casabi). In October 2011, the Company acquired iLinc Communications, Inc.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=b...al&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=we

Also been looking at Beowulf mining, one hell of a reversal. Not sure if its justified yet or not. Needs a close of 20 this week to turn positive. Mines often give a second chance as they take forever to setup and produce profits

RRL is wavering, still in a negative trend but its gone down on smaller vol

Associate
I am buying gold for the past 10 years now because I was/still am convinced that this is how fiat currency/economy works ... print, create debt, transfer debt to person A and "magically" person B gets wealth/value. No debt no value in a fiat system. You cannot transmute rocks into gold so BY DEFINITION gold as a FIXED supply commodity will float otherwise country X could start printing currency Y and own the world ... nope!

Soldato
Bit of a positive ?

ExxonMobil was picked as operator of the project, Ameedi said.

The oil official said an impasse between ExxonMobil and Baghdad over the former having signed a deal with the Kurdistan region wouldn't stop Iraq from concluding the water injection agreement.

"We will sign with it because so far there hasn't been a decision from the [oil] ministry that terminates the ExxonMobil's contract in the West Qurna 1 field," Ameedi said.

Should ExxonMobil withdraw from the project, responsibilities will be divided among the remaining three.

"We have put a provision in the agreement that if one of the four companies pulls out of the contract, the remaining three will cover for it," he said.

ExxonMobil has signed six exploration oil and gas deals with the northern Kurdish region, which is at loggerheads with the central government in Baghdad over oil, land rights and distribution of power between the regional and central governments. Baghdad has suggested the ExxonMobil accord in the north could jeopardize its contract to develop West Qurna 1.

Ameedi said the companies had already awarded small contracts to carry out pre-FEED--front end engineering and design--for the project. The agreement will call for carrying a FEED that is expected to show how much the project would cost, he said.

The water injection project aims to provide water to maintain reservoir pressure to fields such as Rumaila and West Qurna phases 1 and 2, and Zubair.

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:HOIL.L&it=le

Market is less weak then it appears imo and a few of these prices are lower then ever this year

Condor initiates drill program at gold-silver San Martin project

Lima, Nov. 21 (ANDINA). Vancouver-based mining exploration company Condor Resources announced Monday that drilling at the San Martin gold-silver project started early in the morning on November 17th.

As of late Sunday, drilling continues on the first hole, and has reached a depth of approximately 60 meters.

The drill program is targeting cretaceous-aged quartzites that have been hydrothermally brecciated and strongly silicified, and are exposed on surface over an area approximately 700 by 100 meters.

The San Martin project is situated in the Orcopampa--Caylloma precious metals belt in the Arequipa district of southern Peru, approximately 7 km southeast of the Orcopampa gold mine. Condor obtained the project by staking, and holds a 100% interest.

(END) EEP/LVT
CNR rise today is in line with the positives since August though it appears more moderate this time, hopefully it keeps going till we are near 10p in a steady way

Last edited:
Soldato
Beginners Book

I'm away for the next few months and thought it a good time to learn something new. Can anyone recommend me a couple of books that I could read as begginers guides to trading?

To assist your recommendations here's some background on my current knowledge... I have almost none. However I'm 26 and have a degree in Economics so am not totally ignorant to trading or potentially the skills required.

ntg

ntg

Associate
I am buying gold for the past 10 years now because I was/still am convinced that this is how fiat currency/economy works ... print, create debt, transfer debt to person A and "magically" person B gets wealth/value. No debt no value in a fiat system. You cannot transmute rocks into gold so BY DEFINITION gold as a FIXED supply commodity will float otherwise country X could start printing currency Y and own the world ... nope!

Great, how much money have you made from it so far?? Oh, I forgot, gold doesn't produce any income stream. It's only profit when you actually sell, as long as you hold on you haven't made anything.

Have you calculated how much inflation has eaten into your investment over the past 10 years along with the currency exchange rate (gold is value in $ after all)?

On the other hand you could have put all that money into some large caps with a steady dividend and you'd have made a tidy little sum from that alone (forget what the stock market does, the divi largely stays the same in the big behemoths).

Oh well, if fiat currency collapses tomorrow we are the suckers.

Sorry for the sarcastic nature of my post but I'm tired of all this doomsday scaremongering by people who are buying into gold, as if the whole financial system will dissapear beneath our feet tomorrow. Gold is good for speculation (very hard to time it) and a hedge against high inflation, perhaps part of a balanced portfolio of someone who needs to retain capital as a priority (I know that everybody should have that as no1 but most traders' priority is to make money).

Soldato
Sorry for the sarcastic nature of my post but I'm tired of all this doomsday scaremongering by people who are buying into gold, as if the whole financial system will dissapear beneath our feet tomorrow.

I should start with a disclaimer: since 2008 my small amateur dabblings in shares and energy ETFs cost me £1000 and my dabblings in precious metal ETFs have gained me about £8k. Chicken feed in investment terms, but I'm a coward. :) I bought into the fear trade and have -- so far -- benefited. Anyone buying earlier will have made significantly more. Precious metals have made people rich over the last decade, where shares have -- if held rather than actively traded -- often been a loser. Sometimes a big loser, no matter what the dividends (which seem to be well below historical averages as companies stockpile cash to protect themselves from future risk).

Ok, that's that out of the way. :)

I agree that the end of the world is not nigh. But I am 100% convinced that the only way out of this unprecedented financial mess is to continue printing without limit... as the ECB is being encouraged to do by the FED and BoE, who have a vested interest in seeing the Euro devalued.

The only reason global financial catastrophe was averted in 2008/9 was because governments and central banks took on private risks using pretend money and future taxes, and that will continue to be the only way forward. Which means the only way to protect ourselves will be in assets likely to appreciate as paper money shrivels at an even faster rate than normal.

Shares, chosen carefully and watched like a hawk, may do that. But whether gold remains a useful place to put some money is open for debate. Personally I'd buy oil if I owned a tanker to store it in, but I don't trust ETFs to preserve value because of the overheads, and the publicly traded oilies only control a tiny amount of the world's supply... and much of what they do control could be taken away by regime changes at the drop of a hat (or if Israel bomb the Iranians).

It's an amazing time to be interested in this kind of thing though. Never has preserving wealth (whether that's wealth or Wealth) been so difficult. Which is why the markets and opinion makers are all over the place.

It has also been interesting to hear -- just this week -- more talk in serious circles about a degree of gold backing to some of the proposed measures to back up the global debt markets. There is an increasing awareness that there needs to be some kind of bedrock to the financial system. Gold alone cannot supply that in the modern age (and arguably never did even when the gold standard was widespread) but there is definitely a scrabbling for some kind of solid reality in a world awash with funny-money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom