Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Quick question about dividends

Are these calculated daily? As in if i buy shares a week before the dividend pay date, do i get a weeks worth, or do i have to hold the shares for a defined period?
I have just started a H&L account, will they credit my account or do i get cheques in the post?

Thanks for clearing up this noob question :)

Associate
Are these calculated daily? As in if i buy shares a week before the dividend pay date, do i get a weeks worth, or do i have to hold the shares for a defined period?
I have just started a H&L account, will they credit my account or do i get cheques in the post?

Thanks for clearing up this noob question :)

You get paid the stated dividend (final or interim) if you hold the shares by the ex-dividend date.

It doesn't matter if you own it for a week before, month before or year before, you will get paid the dividend.

How you will get paid depends on what you agrred with your broker. You can normally have it credited to your account, paid by cheque or re-invested in the stock.

Caporegime
Blimey, really? Im surprised about that. I've ben with IG Index for about 2 months now?
[...]
But I love the charting software which makes it easy to do some quick analyses.

Only thing which I haven't seen, is trading volume, I would like to see this feature.

You've got to remember that you're placing bets in what is essentially a parallel market - they then hedge to some extent in some underlying futures market. They're providing you their own prices and volume in regards to these is irrelevant - I don't think they'd be in a position to pass on volume data of the underlying futures contract they use to hedge as they'd incur additional costs in doing so - transmitting exchange data incurs fees charged by the exchanges.

Soldato
You've got to remember that you're placing bets in what is essentially a parallel market - they then hedge to some extent in some underlying futures market. They're providing you their own prices and volume in regards to these is irrelevant - I don't think they'd be in a position to pass on volume data of the underlying futures contract they use to hedge as they'd incur additional costs in doing so - transmitting exchange data incurs fees charged by the exchanges.

No sure I do know this for a fact, but I am sure they have access to the volume data for the normal shares/stocks market from their other services they provide (I assume?)...

One thing has nothing to do with the other for sure, but nonetheless having access to the volume trading data does also help to understand where the action is in a particular market/stock/commodity/currency etc etc.

Caporegime
No sure I do know this for a fact, but I am sure they have access to the volume data for the normal shares/stocks market from their other services they provide (I assume?)...

One thing has nothing to do with the other for sure, but nonetheless having access to the volume trading data does also help to understand where the action is in a particular market/stock/commodity/currency etc etc.

They have access to data, that doesn't mean they can distribute it for free... you usually have to pay for that. The prices they distribute are their own prices based on some underlying product... the volume data you're after is data from the actual product traded at an exchange which doesn't directly correspond to the prices distributed by the SB firm - if you're trading at a real brokerage you have to pay data fees to exchanges for various products...

You could perhpas look at various data providers... pay for a charting package/data feed etc...

edit - another option could be prospreads they're a sort-of DMA spreadbetting platform in so far as the prices do actually follow the underlying and you can see the orderbook... so essentially they are seemingly able to disseminate exchange data... no idea if there is an option to display volume on their charts too but no reason why there shouldn't be given that you can see the orderbook/price ladder.

edit-2 this isn't an endorsement of that company... it does look like the mini products they offer could well be a better alternative to other spreadbetting providers but, as with all spreadbetting, it is still a (relatively & deceptively) expensive way of trading... if you end up trading at a size equivalent to a full contract upwards and you're doing so frequently then you'd likely be better off in terms of costs at an actual futures broker.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got into any housing stocks or mortgage brokers recently?

Reason I ask, Mrs Deadly and I have to move because of her job, spent the last 3 weeks looking at houses including several new builds. These things are flying, I couldn't believe how many sales I was witnessing. One of the developers said they'd had to slow down building because the company making the bricks couldn't keep up.

Now, I'm not naïve, so I recognise that a lot of this is "spin" but I saw a lot of lorries with people moving in and a lot of people collecting keys and placing deposits.

I'm going long Barratt Developments, the sales for this half might already be priced in but if the housing market keeps racing away this could be a good long term hold. Their recent RNS are also stating good increases in sales and they've got a lot of land too.

As ever, not investment advice and DYOR etc.

Soldato
I know someone who has been raving about taylor wimpey for the last 6+ months. Still holding because should be a nice steady rise now with how the property market is going. Once ive made a reasonable amount with junior oilies I'll probably be looking at property co's for a long term investment.

Associate
With Eurasian Natural Resources (ENRC) looking for a 21 day extension on takeover I expect Kazakhmhys (KAZ) to fall at open and I'm looking for a larger buy in this time to trade short term.

Been looking at Playtech (PTEC) and Melrose Industries (MRO) at weekend but undecided.

I'm looking at buying back into British Land (BLND) if it continues to pull back.

So called experts now say Dollar:Yen could retrace back to 89 instead of 1.10 (who knows)

And bullish Gold Bets at most in 2 months, reversing what was happening 10 days ago.

Soldato
They have access to data, that doesn't mean they can distribute it for free... you usually have to pay for that.

I thought places like ADVFN were giving this out for free? Unless Im mistaken?

The prices they distribute are their own prices based on some underlying product... the volume data you're after is data from the actual product traded at an exchange which doesn't directly correspond to the prices distributed by the SB firm

Again I understand this, but there surely there is a relationship between volume data traded on te actual stock market and the SB prices (the SB prices will obviously be unfavourable to punters).

edit - another option could be prospreads they're a sort-of DMA spreadbetting platform in so far as the prices do actually follow the underlying and you can see the orderbook... so essentially they are seemingly able to disseminate exchange data... no idea if there is an option to display volume on their charts too but no reason why there shouldn't be given that you can see the orderbook/price ladder.

edit-2 this isn't an endorsement of that company... it does look like the mini products they offer could well be a better alternative to other spreadbetting providers but, as with all spreadbetting, it is still a (relatively & deceptively) expensive way of trading... if you end up trading at a size equivalent to a full contract upwards and you're doing so frequently then you'd likely be better off in terms of costs at an actual futures broker.

Thanks will take a look! :)

Soldato
Range Resources sees significant initial oil production, flows 610bpd of oil from Guatemala well. Shares 15.81% http://goo.gl/xBwhk

Its still 3p :o I hope its a snowball kinda thing. Bit like deals HOIL has done, still waiting but nice news anyhow

Apart from RRL Medusa is up 7% today, I only bought a bit because I keep getting told gold is going down

Wish I'd taken Barratt in 2008 when it had dropped so much. They had a loan and possible trouble but it worked far better then actual banks who lent who'd thunk it.
Housing has been trendy sector for over a year now I think. Eventually land is worth having but Im very glad to see that Lloyds is shoving off USA housing debt they have as these markets wont always be so liquid

CFD dealers might give volume possibly. If you want realtime volume on a graph I'd say thats a paid for kind of thing.

WSPR went broke a couple years back on this false market dynamic, most sensible brokers bet or otherwise just pass it on. Lay away or whatever, plenty of profit in that.
In the big scheme of things if Lehman had that attitude they'd still be here but more profits putting both boots in taking an opinion instead of just dealing, I'd expect IGG is not involved in a trade once its placed
I read Merrill Lynch paid 185% of profits to their employees pre 08, banks are self biased like that even now

Caporegime
I thought places like ADVFN were giving this out for free? Unless Im mistaken?

Why not just use that then if you've already got it for free?

Again I understand this, but there surely there is a relationship between volume data traded on te actual stock market and the SB prices (the SB prices will obviously be unfavourable to punters).

There's some relationship between the SB prices and the underlying yes... are you talking about volume by price or per period/bar... the former ought to be obviously unworkable the latter could perhpas be fudged.

Caporegime
CFD dealers might give volume possibly. If you want realtime volume on a graph I'd say thats a paid for kind of thing.

Yup... well providing you're trading CFDs whereby your orders are actually executed in the underlying and given a CFD wrapper to avoid stamp duty.

Otherwise if you're trading CFDs which don't trigger a corresponding order in the underlying and so are essentially not much different to spread bets aside from some minor differences and being called CFDs then you'll have the same issues.

Soldato
Intel up 4% as they pick up some business from Samsung tablets I think. 25.30 could prove a top for now but hopefully not
Nifty Intel has its traditional advantage, not sure any others are 28nm
In addition, Yeaung and Lee said that Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) intensified its commitment to foundry this year as the company sees opportunity to leverage its sub-28nm technology. The company built several support functions such as design IP blocks, design flows and kits, ASIC design services including DFM, package design services, and silicon shuttle services, as well as packaging and mask services.

What Is Expected By Intel:
Next month, Intel is expected to launch the notebook version of Haswell with a 50 percent better battery life compared with the Ivy Bridge. It also features an improved graphics performance dubbed as the Iris graphics
http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/intel-corporation-intc-picked-by-samsung-for-new-galaxy-tab/

Also copper may be popular which is what I was looking for
Copper Gains on Manufacturing Data, Indonesian Mine Closure
--Comex copper recently trades up 1.65 cents, or 0.5%, at $3.309 a pound --China's state gauge of manufacturing activity shows growth in May --Freeport-McMoRan's Indonesia operations may be closed for months, government official says By Matt Day NEW YORK--Copper futures rose Monday as data showed manufacturing activity in top consumer China unexpectedly accelerated last month and officials said a major Indonesian mine would likely be closed for months following a deadly accident. The most actively traded copper contract, for July delivery, recently traded up 1.65 cents, or 0.5%, at $3.309 a pound on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The official Chinese purchasing managers' index stood at 50.8 in May, data released over the weekend showed, from 50.6 in April. Economists had expected a reading of 49.8, just below 50, the dividing line between expansion and contraction. However, HSBC's separate gauge of Chinese manufacturing showed the sector shrank last month. Copper is used in a wide range of manufactured goods, including power cables, automobiles and appliances, making prices sensitive to such data. China accounts for about 40% of global copper consumption. "The numbers broadly balance each other out," Standard Bank analyst Leon Westgate said in a note. But the gains in the official data, along with potential mine supply disruptions, were enough to draw buyers to the market, Mr. Westgate said. Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.'s mining operations in Indonesia will likely be shut for up to two months while officials investigate a fatal accident there, a government official told The Wall Street Journal. A roof collapse last month at an underground training facility at the massive Grasberg mine killed 28 workers. Freeport's Indonesian operations accounted for about 2% of global copper mine output last year. Sentiment in the copper market was also lifted by a report in the Financial Times that China's State Reserves Bureau has considered buying copper after the metal's decline in prices. The newspaper reported that the SRB, which stockpiles commodities, in recent months purchased 30,000 metric tons of nickel on the international market. -

CNR
http://goo.gl/0z9Sx

Last edited:
Associate
How are you backing Copper, Silversurfer?

I''m thinking of jumping into an etf but cant decide yet.

Kazakhmys (KAZ) never dropped below 320 so I didn't buy today.

British Land (BLND) dipped below 600p but soon rebounded. I'm keeping my eye on it though for a dip back to the 580p-ish and maybe I'll get back in.

It will depend on what happens overnight both in Asia and on the ground in Istanbul and other cities in Turkey but I will keep my eye on the:

iShares MSCI Turkey ETF (ITKY.L)

It dropped 10.87% today which may be too much or too little. We'll see tomorrow.

Fancy Erdogan going abroad while this is going on?

On another note, my youngest sister is in Turkey at the moment and is very happy the protests have seen the Turkish lira fall again and is enjoying her cheap holiday.

Back
Top Bottom