Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Been out most of the day and really peed off to see Anite (AIE) has risen 5% before I could get in. Been watching it a while now. Have to wait for a pull back.

iShares MSCI Turkey ETF (ITKY) opened too high to make it worth buying for me so I didn't really miss that.

Waiting for Kazakhmys (KAZ) to drop below the 320p still which I had hoped for with the 21 day extension of Eurasian Natural resources (ENRC) officially requested,

Associate
Well KAZ is interesting me today at sub 320p so I jumped in @ 318.65p and will again if it drops a bit nearer 310p.

Will be watching CSR, AIE and PTEC closely for a few days and will buy in on any decent dips.

Soldato
How are you backing Copper, Silversurfer?

I''m thinking of jumping into an etf but cant decide yet.

Just miners. I might buy XDBC which holds many commodities, depends if Dollar is due for weakness.

Kaz is being very weak, 326 is a price for it to beat to prove otherwise and it might visit 290 again especially if the overall market were going down

I sold some BP at 478 and Allianz agricultural fund, to buy them lower

I think buy some Invesco perp at low in line with April 5th low, not sure we crashing lower

Associate
Just miners. I might buy XDBC which holds many commodities, depends if Dollar is due for weakness.

Kaz is being very weak, 326 is a price for it to beat to prove otherwise and it might visit 290 again especially if the overall market were going down

I sold some BP at 478 and Allianz agricultural fund, to buy them lower

I think buy some Invesco perp at low in line with April 5th low, not sure we crashing lower

Yeah its a quandry in that the dollar should weaken but a bear market for emerging economies currency is set and the dollar is the safe haven.

I want to buy in to Amazon but the exchange rate is putting me off.

Soldato
I purchased some TCG (£1k) last week and today they have issued rights.

I'm relatively new to this S&S and H&L have explained most of it well in the notification.

My holding of 681 units has awarded me 272 rights options. I can buy them at 76p each with the trading buy price at 134p at the time of issue, now nearer to 125p (bought in circa 144p).

What are my choices?

Under the terms of the Rights Issue Shareholders have been credited with 2 Thomas Cook Group Plc Nil Paid Shares (‘Rights’) for every 5 Shares held at the close of business on 4 June 2013. You have therefore been credited with 272 Rights. You have 3 options to consider in respect of these Rights and these are explained below in more detail.

Option 1 - Do nothing. If you do not return an election by the deadline of 4.30pm on Monday 17 June 2013, the Offer will lapse and your Rights will be removed from your portfolio. If a lapsed Rights cash payment is made it will be credited to your Account upon receipt.

Option 2 - You can take up your Rights in full or in part. Each Right may be used to purchase 1 Ordinary Share at a price of 76p per Share. You may therefore purchase up to 272 Shares at a cost of £206.72. Please refer to the questions and answers in the Appendix for details on how to purchase the Shares on offer within or outside of your ISA.

Option 3 - You can sell your Rights. You can sell your Rights in the market subject to a special flat rate commission of £10.00. The proceeds will remain in your Account. Please note that if you wish to sell your Rights at the prevailing market price you should contact our Dealers on 0117 980 9800 (N.B. we are unable to accept instructions to sell your Rights that are sent via the Corporate Actions section of our website and such instructions will not be executed).

Just so I have understood this correctly I can:

1) do nothing and leave my holding as is. - pocket any lapsed payment if issued, of which I have no idea of the potential value.
2) buy the rights (full or part) at 76p which will convert to ordinary full price shares - that I can either keep for gains or sell for profit sooner or later.
3) sell my rights - and take the value of these less commission.

Logic tells me to take up the rights options, generally speaking, unless I didn't want to increase my holding or felt that the company were no longer an attractive investment.

Advice welcomed :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Option 1 means the rights sell at term end. Option 3 means you can choose when to sell, the price will vary along with the main share as its an option on that

Option 2 means you invest more money. The company is raising cash, reverse dividend if you like. Is it worth having or might they be cheaper later.

Usually the stock drops lowest around the time of a cash call, so its most conventional to take part and sell later unless they are really negative like BB in summer of 2008 or Barc raised at 280 around then also I think

a bear market for emerging economies currency is set and the dollar is the safe haven.
Its all relative, world GDP is positive so someone is growing. Dollar is perceived safe, it gets wild when markets find themselves incorrect. a lot more people live outside looking in at dollar value then those inside in control/benefitting, emerging should eclipse established trends on numbers alone some day

Outsourcery have floated on the AIM market, what do you guys make of it?

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=OUT&share=outsourcery

Its 'cloud service' which is a new trendy thing. Saw an Intel advert about similar 'big data' dynamics It is a lot of airy fairy speak for managing data better.
CRM did some deal this week buying up another company and SNTY which I 'accidentally' own went down 25% on low volume - not sure if thats related :confused:
They do cloud call handling, I have to say the whole sector could be a good thing if they can provide a clever cheaper service to businesses. (many of whom might not be big enough for a call centre thsemselves, etc)

You will have to wade through a lot of it to figure out if they actually doing a good job or not, its cutting edge in theory.

Bitcoin is a form of cloud processing of financial transactional data, I thought that was junk too but its apparently quite viable and in demand inverse to the dollar and politics nonsense we are all caught up in for over five years now

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't dabbled in the US markets for a while but I've been looking at Amazon for a while now and still reckon they great growth potential.

Though many have tried and failed (Tesco for one) their foray into grocerys has the possibilities to be a great success. They must be happy with what they have achieved in Seattle or they wouldn't be going forward.

If the new tax laws affecting online purchases comes to being then I think Amazon will benefit greatly over some of the mid-sized companies (upwards of million$ sales).

There will be a level tax playing field and I think Amazon is best placed to take advantage.

The recent announcement of new deal with Viacom looks interesting in their bid to dominate online streaming of content as well.

I'm also looking at getting back into Microsoft as during the last few months I have many "experts" espousing $40-$45 target for them.

The one company I definitely wont buy is Apple. I'm tempted to open a little short on them which I don't do very regularly as I see a steady decline as many companies bring new products and ideas to market.

I'm hoping the Pound £££ will strengthen again tomorrow then I'm going to jump in.

Associate
Well an interesting day both profitable and disappointing.

Money in pocket to splash out after endowment funds cleared but I bottled out of buying into US at the moment.

I'm saving quite a bit of it to dive deep back into British Land (when it gets closer to bottoming out) of its free fall.

Amongst all the doom and gloom I sold out of Imagination Technologies (IMG) at a loss and had hoped to buy into Playtech (PTEC) but it refuses to pull back.

So instead I put the money and a little more into the ISHARES II PLC ISHARES MSCI TURKEY (ITKY) which is back to Decembers levels.

Still waiting for CSR (CSR), Victrex (VCT), Playtech (PTEC), Anite (AIE) and British Land (BLND) to drop to a better level.

Still looking to add Kazakhmys (KAZ) as well, it didn't drop to a low enough level today though.

Sister has picked me up some more Turkish Lira @ 288/£ so I have enough for my 2 holidays this year and some for next year as well.

Associate
Well I took the plunge on some Microsoft (MSFT) 500 @ $34.582 exchange rate $1.5614/£
which I was quite happy with.

Definitely a medium to long investment this is. Future p/e looks good in my opinion for Microsoft.

I'm going to leave Amazon until/if it comes down.

Associate
I'm looking at holding this for 2+ years

I'll watch the price and exchange rate and might add to it. The non-farm pay-rolls could be a buy oppurtunity tomorrow. Market seems to think they wont be good.

Now one of my endowments is cashed I have some money to invest longer term.

TD securities see £/$ at 1.46 by end of next year which would also help my MSFT

http://www.poundsterlinglive.com/index.php/breaking-news-articles/153-long-term-forecasts-favour-the-pound-over-the-euro-45345

But with the uncertainties over QE its just a guess in my opinion as everyone is trying to do.

Will be looking at some corporate bonds tomorrow as well.

Soldato
Dont like AMazon, they have market share growth from low margins and this 'new' business model. Great but they are snapping up a larger market share of the USA consumer, so they are tied to that too much for me to like them. That sector is lopsided, its liable to fall over sometime ie. USA lacks production If (as a share) they were cheap or disliked then it'd help but they arent

Retail I dont want in general however I do like Apple as they can sell anywhere in the world potentially, though they may not gain Asia so well. Even then I think they are fair value, a fair dividend stock even

Yen is up, Dollar down and euro up (+£). Which helps gold go up. In effect Japan is selling off some of what they bought abroad recently I think. April ftse low to be taken out ?

CNR pulled back nicely but I had hoped it'd come down some more. IF gold is now set to rise despite weaker market, I will have to buy back the part I sold
Again Im told many times gold will make new lows, from failure of confidence - though gold itself never changes!

My guess on MSFT would be its topping out. Unless theres reason for new growth, I'd want them to come back down some; in the same way everything seems to alternate. They are a corporate monster, hard to judge so not one I buy but say 34.10 is a good place to hold above otherwise target 31.48.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom