Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
I have not been following the markets but noticed the BARC is down quite a lot today, is this because of RBS?

If you look at Barclays charts you see the MACD is heading below zero
12 & 26 Day EMA dropping thru 50 Day
Maybe support around 280p but market probably in correction for summer now I think.

thanks silversurfer. will give it a shot trading etfs.

ETF's are a great way to get easily tradable exposure and to commodities, indices, emerging markets (short and long)

I'm holding 2 ITKY and XMID and watching a few others like AUCP, XVTD, DNRG

Glad I've got cash on the sidelines at moment and with another (smaller) endowment due to cash in August I should be well placed to pick up some bargains after summer drop.

As long as I don't go and pick a load or donkeys.

Soldato
AUCP TER of 0.65%
Nice set of details at the fingertips there, we are spoilt nowadays. I'd say holding that is safer then buying CNR or ABG but looking at how it operates, they arent holding the actual share but derivatives to track instead which confuses things

Andy Haldane, the Bank of England's executive director for financial stability, believes the biggest risk to the global financial system is a "disorderly" bursting of the bond bubble created by quantitative easing.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...inancial-stability-say-BoEs-Andy-Haldane.html

A major holder of BARC sold into the market recently I think. 260 to 320 would be a normal range I think. FTSE low of 6150 is important to hold as Nikkei is continuing to pull back, money going back east apparently
UPDATE: Japan Leads Asian Shares Selloff
By Daniel Inman Markets across Asia suffered another bruising day as investors scrambled for the exits, with Japanese stocks falling almost 5% and into bear market territory, and heavy losses in China and across Southeast Asia. The selloff has gripped global markets all week, fuelled by uncertainty over the direction of the Federal Reserve's monetary policy and signs of cooling growth in emerging economies. The mood is sending investors to traditional safe havens, with the yen and Japanese government bonds moving higher. "It is a sentiment driven fall that's feeding on itself," said Nader Naeimi, head of dynamic asset allocation AMP Capital Investors in Sydney, who helps the firm manage around $120 bill lion. "Investors seem to be taking profits wherever they can." The most dramatic move was in Japan, with the Nikkei Stock Average falling 4.9% and putting it around 20.5% down from the intraday peak reached on May 23, the day Japan's 6-month rally turned south and begun three weeks of wild trading. "There is no clear downside target (for the Nikkei) unless there is more clarity of the Fed's policy," said Shigeo Sugawara, senior investment manager at Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Asset Management. "Depending on the comments from the Fed, the direction may become clearer." The fear that the Fed could change its monetary policy, along with signs that the U.S. economy is recovering, has encouraged investors to pull money out of emerging markets that are typically perceived as risky. The resulting outflows have hit some of Asia's smallest markets the hardest - such as the Philippines and Thailand, which were both down 4.8% on Thursday. The other dampener to sentiment came from China. Chinese stocks plunged after markets in the mainland reopened after a three-day public holiday, getting their first chance to react to a series of poor economic data that came out over the weekend, with both trade data and inflation disappointing the market. The Shanghai Composite Index hit a six-month low of 2127.15 early in the session and was last down 3.0% at 2144.49. The Hang Seng China Enterprises Index, a measure of Chinese companies in Hong Kong, plunged 3.7%, its worst percentage fall since late 2011. The dollar was last at Y94.70 compared to Y96.01 late Wednesday in New York. The dollar hit a two-month low against the dollar of Y94.30 earlier in the session and has now lost around 7% of its value against the yen from the multiyear peak it reached on May 22.
HczLyi7.png

Great report by ATK I think, dont think I can justify taking profits on this whatever the market may do. I sell winners, hold losers a bit too often

Associate
Made the decision this afternoon to go a little more defensive and sold my two or my three longest held stocks.

Next (NXT) and Tullow Oil (TLW) that I've had since '09.

Still holding Barclays (BARC) that I bought back then as well.

Tempted by Microsoft still but gonna hold back on that.

But may take a bite at (COFF) ETFS COMMODITY SECURITIES LIMITED COFFEE tomorrow.

I'm looking to buy on a decent fall back:

UK STOCKS

Some more ADN
AIE
AGA
CRE
CSR
MRO
PTEC
TCG
VCT

ETFS
AUCP
XVTD
DNRG

and in US

AMZN
CCJ
LMNX
MSFT
SQNM

Associate
Well how did I manage to mess that one up?

Marketing & public relations company Creston PLC (CRE) which I've been watching for a a few months now went and announced their final results on Wednesday (which I completely missed) along with an announcement they will be buying back 6,133,734 shares as part of its Save-as-you-earn scheme.

I'd totally forgotten results were due and missed the 10+% jump.

I had been waiting for a pullback below 90p but I was too busy watching other things and missed the boat.

Someone throw me a lifebelt as I'm in the water now waving goodbye to that boat.

Might still be worth getting in though, I'll have to wait and see or swim very fast to catch the boat up.

Soldato
The company itself isnt any richer, its just like they paid out a nice dividend. Plenty of people like 'liquid' stocks that can do that; swings and roundabouts

Usually theres a RNS list you can sign upto. Halifax will email rns and others. I often miss the news as you are competing against people paid to wait. The best news release was when Peston talked about Lloyds/HBOS on the BBC 10am news, I think he announced merger talks which is just as well as they had halved in price (then they doubled) usually city people have the inside line
Also morningstar have a news tab that can be useful, any stock you added will show up news that day.

Tullow Oil
Heritage just lost a case to them in London. I dont think it was so important as forthcoming vs Uganda gov which is about 100% of company market cap resting in the balance. Not sure this bodes well though :/

AGA cookers are awesome :D

TCG 15 to 115p - wish I'd had the confidence on that

Last edited:
Associate
I normally chack every morning pre-open for any stocks I am watching but haven't slept well this week so I've been a bit lapse.

With missing out on Luminex (LMNX) and Creston (CRE) this week I'm not impressed with myself.

Soldato
Sometimes there is more then one opportunity to enter.

I added Dragon oil instead of BP today, been considering them since year start and they appear to be quite strong where as BP often moves with FTSE which Im already tied to

Medusa is down on larger volume today & its not showing any reason to jump in so decided to not add. Gold itself is sideways presumed stalling
Someone asked about rights issues, First group has almost completely negated any advantage to its holders by falling to 90p.
So in this instance selling rights asap and buying at market later would have worked out best

USA trader details Amazon and other trades here

Last edited:
Soldato
Without breaking the bank, is there any available(and decent) market analysis software available to the general public? By that I mean real time updating of stocks across the board with pricing etc and ability to go in and look at a company in more detail?

Associate
Without breaking the bank, is there any available(and decent) market analysis software available to the general public? By that I mean real time updating of stocks across the board with pricing etc and ability to go in and look at a company in more detail?

Depends on what you are looking for?

Google and I think Digital Look give real time pricing and Digital Look, Yahoo, and London Stock Exchange give you all the fundamentals for nothing and some charting.but not full level 2 which I think you might be asking for.

Edit: Morningstar is quite good for info as well

Last edited:
Soldato
This thread probably needs links in the OP
I can go look for an old thread on software but most people just use online websites. They are free because of adverts

Theres a general principle that data must be distributed equally to all market participants, so I'd guess you really have to spend a lot of money before you get far beyond the starting blocks everyone has more or less freely ie. bloomberg terminal and such like.

I mentioned vwap a few times, I wouldnt mind that for UK stocks. USA stocks try http://www.freestockcharts.com/
There is a pay option on that, removes adverts. Supplies news stories, etc
Its realtime, the catch is they feed from a minor exchange but its close enough to real afaik

Then you'd take the company and go look at nasdaq.com. The company website itself will have hundreds of pages to read. Every aim company by law must have a website, full data available.
FT.com will sell you company reports if you want, I just read tips in the daily newspapers :D

Short interest in BP
Randgold

Earnings season schedule, AA starts it
B0niaam.png
briefing.com
Seeking alpha send me this much to read every day :o
Xwey0B8.png

MoneyAM -UK stocks realtime

Medusa fears stem from a gov mining reform that will take revenue share not from profits:confused:
12% rise but this is what'd take to make me happy
Glencore I'd like to break above 320 before I buy

UK regulator identifies £26bn bank funding gap
The top City regulator is poised to unveil the previously secret details of the capital holes it has identified at Britain’s top eight banks, with Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds and Barclays set to account for more than 90 per cent of the total
http://link.ft.com/r/H60H77/MJO21U/GI543/DWM3D5/Q340SR/LE/h?a1=2013&a2=6&a3=19

Last edited:
Associate
Thought I would let you know that I now have vastly improved excel worksheets for some of the stocks I am holding and watching.

Got rid of extraneous stuff and added some financials and stuff to make a nice little workbook which I find easier to read than trawling the net .

Content is easy copy and paste from Digital Look and Reuters.

Trsut me your email address if you want to peek at one.

Associate
Well Bernanke Fed Taper has sent everything wild today for sure.

Time for a little shopping. Not too heavy just getting in.

I've trickled into some more Aberdeen Asset Management (ADN)

as well as putting my toe into

Melrose Industries (MRO)
Playtech (PTEC)
Victrex (VCT)

Thug
Soldato
Someone I know works in a well known o&g industry company, who recently made a change, and boasted about how they knew it was coming and how they told their family to buy a **** load of shares.

They're all driving new mercs and the like now.

Surely the primary concern of people here should to be making contacts of people so you can get knowledge that others don't have? Or am I missing something?

Caporegime
Someone I know works in a well known o&g industry company, who recently made a change, and boasted about how they knew it was coming and how they told their family to buy a **** load of shares.

They're all driving new mercs and the like now.

Surely the primary concern of people here should to be making contacts of people so you can get knowledge that others don't have? Or am I missing something?

Sounds like lies to me.

Back
Top Bottom