Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Permabanned
Silver chart and an SAB miller short. I mainly trade currencies though which I think is of little interest here.

2013-07-03_1221.png

2013-07-03_1239.png

Soldato
I hate when graphs dont tell me the time frame. SAB could be good as its so internationally successful but at 23pe shares are already popular. 3150 as a good top to short might be key

trade currencies though which I think is of little interest here
we all got an interest. I try to time my sipp funds buys by cable, mostly Im abroad so it pays to time when you buy the holiday money :cool: Its risen today before midday, so thats screwed that sale up but unit trusts are hard to trade

currencies > bonds > stocks drives the market so Im told. Thats really why I even bother, I think currency will be weaker then stocks hence at least a nominal bull market. Cash savers getting washed out by inflation fits that

This is a holiday week for USA but also jobs figures soon. I was kinda thinking we go sideways in a lull, so bought some BP back that I had sold & sold some Lloyds hoping to buy on pullback with any market shakeup occurring

Gonna leave a small short running on gold as I am still believing it will fall.
makes me shiver :p Im trying to stick to conventional companies like Dragon oil but I think many mines are oversold longer term but short term there is a rush for exits that could continue.
POG will sell its gold at 1600 till 2014 (half of it anyway) and by then its very possible gold will buy more dollars then it does now
Amara or Cluff gold's share price is falling into the sea I think because their latest project comes at a cost of $1,100 per ounce and the market thoroughly disapproves.

In the seventies after a strong rise, gold fell 50% and then it more then quintupled.
I reckon it could do similar again so long as the main conditions continue to apply all along.

Last edited:
Associate
In the seventies after a strong rise, gold fell 50% and then it more then quintupled.
I reckon it could do similar again so long as the main conditions continue to apply all along.

I think your right but I reckon it will fall to at least $1100 before a big upswing.

I think I posted somewhere a month or 2 back in this thread about a couple of "experts" on Bloomberg or CNBC I saw who said that they see Gold's upside @ $1850+ in 5-7 years but not before a further fall and I reckon the 3 year price will be same as now or less.

Soldato
Can someone help me out at all.
My mum's partner died and I am going through his pensions/shares. I have got all of them sorted except for one, which originated in South Africa.
mm02 plc
I think it's part of the BT group, and then o2? But I'm not sure what would have happened to the shares over the years?
I see a statement in 2008 stating the value of R48,900 (south african).

Any ideas chaps?

Soldato
Can someone help me out at all.
My mum's partner died and I am going through his pensions/shares. I have got all of them sorted except for one, which originated in South Africa.
mm02 plc
I think it's part of the BT group, and then o2? But I'm not sure what would have happened to the shares over the years?
I see a statement in 2008 stating the value of R48,900 (south african).

Any ideas chaps?

Here you go: http://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperfo...dministration/UKshareholderadministration.htm

Soldato
I think it paid out cash on the sale? Telefonica bought them and they have just sold the O2 broadband to Sky. I own both shares but it was cash only afaik, TEF suspended div this year :(

He did a tv thing on trading few years back

Amara today went up 33% from yesterdays lows. Would be nice as I took some yesterday but only a little and it has been a disaster otherwise.
Tons of bargains but generally Im waiting for gold bullion to double bounce, I'm told 'it needs repairs' before a rise. Barc was 50p twice before it really rose, was a good buy each time but big turn rounds take time rings true I think
Ive sold all but few shares of BP for now, as I have a tracker also

Ashraf Laidi ?@alaidi 1h
Since the 2009 lows: Nasdaq +139%; $SPX +117%, #Nikkei +89%
http://t.co/0xowrpylNz
Seems relevant to thread since it was started April 2009
5ATgJKz.jpg
I presume he means in dollar, sterling down a lot recently so +% even more from our perspective I guess

Soldato
What is regarded as a good place to buy shares, I have never bought shares before (done some online brokering with fake money) and want to give it a go. I saw X-O earlier in this thread, but it doesn't seem to get good reviews from people. Any good places people would recommend?

Soldato
want to give it a go
Try unit trusts first, its like a group buy for shares. Today I was selling Tech tracker run by L&G and buying a gold sector fund managed by Investec. There was no dealing charges and its about 1 or 2% cost per year

X-O is fine, I use HL for trusts.

Beowulf seems to have sold 25% of the company for 4m. :eek: I hope they really needed that to find an actual proven asset not just pay the office coffee and biscuits bill

Oil is up, BP up as it should be. Top of a channel, I wonder if it can break upto 500 and basically prove me foolish to sell any

Soldato
Can someone recommend a utility/video/etc to be able to interpret these stock charts?

Im clueless at the moment but it would be nice to be able to read them and see how a company is doing

Im not looking to invest, im just curious as to how it all works :)

Caporegime
Righmove have flew over the last few months. Now 2260, a mate made a bit on them selling at 600p!

Cree have been rising well too. Seems all the stocks I've watched have gone up whereas the ones I buy go down :(

Soldato
Hi,

I'm looking to open my first shares account and having looked at some comparisons, IWeb look to have good rates.

• Just £5 commission per trade on UK and international* trades
• No annual/quarterly administration charges
• No inactivity charges
• No annual administration charges on a Stocks & Shares ISA
• Reliable online trading platform
• Free market information service
• Access to seven global markets*

Anybody else using these?

Soldato
Whats their cash cost per ounce. I think its AAZ who say 450 as they sell the copper that is part of the resource also. CEY is 850, not as cheap as I thought

Iweb seems good, its basically Halifax underneath and I believe there is a 25 sign up fee. Also consider costs of forex which might be 1% each way.
How often will you invest, unit trusts are cheapest best way if new

I cant believe this latest rally is so easy, its slightly abnormal not to pull back more but I wont complain

Not had the balls to go for it yet but Pennon seems to swing quite nicely in the lower 600s to 700ish range.

Pennon is liked by Questor. Seems to be on a trend up, target up 720 and next regular low 640 might fit nicely - I concur :p

Righmove have flew over the last few months. Now 2260, a mate made a bit on them selling at 600p!

Cree have been rising well too. Seems all the stocks I've watched have gone up whereas the ones I buy go down :(

Housing is an enigma but signs of a pickup plus the dynamic move online of consumer business helped RMV I guess, not something I foresaw.
It can reverse, housing is helped by gov - its linked to gilts.
CREE is over anticipated unless its apple for lights, dont think so
o9gi2hu.png
This is USA and its a 30yr fix rate, once again yankies are spoilt but anyway its shows a rapid change

L2hHwSs.png
Why gold is sucking, oil is their cost. '11 spike is the USA debt downgrade

Caporegime
Can someone recommend a utility/video/etc to be able to interpret these stock charts?

Im clueless at the moment but it would be nice to be able to read them and see how a company is doing

Im not looking to invest, im just curious as to how it all works :)

time goes on the x axis and price on the y axis

for the strange sounding terms etc.. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_analysis

Be careful with this as there are various issues with this area(too much to deal with in a single post). A lot of the material in this area isn't particularly sound with various techniques being defined in a fairly subjective way, examples being cherry picked etc... That's not to say that all of it is rubbish or anything but you'll find that a large portion of it is sort of like the finance equivalent of alternative medicine.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom