Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Gold just spiked up $30 on the jobs report, well played ? :)
FX CHAT: Payrolls a letdown after a strong week of data
July payrolls disappointed, not only the 183k consensus but a growing camp that expected to see a figure around 200k. The report highlights the disconnect between itself and ADP and ISM labor readings. What's worse is that the unemployment rate fell to 7.4%, which comes closer to the Fed's threshold for tightening policy. But such a decline based on a discouraged workforce will likely force the Fed to clear up or even change its guideposts.
Dow Jones Newswires August 02, 2013 08:37 ET (12:37 GMT)
Gold Retakes $1,300 After Jobs Data Miss Forecast
By Tatyana Shumsky NEW YORK--Gold prices rose after monthly data showed U.S. employers added jobs at a slower-than-expected pace in July, fanning investor hopes for continued accommodative monetary policy from the Federal Reserve. Nonfarm payrolls rose by 162,000 last month, less than the 183,000 increase economists expected. The unemployment rate, collected by a separate survey, fell to 7.4% from 7.6% in June. The Federal Reserve considers the health of the U.S. labor market when making monetary-policy decisions; as a result, gold traders also closely follow the jobs data. Gold prices had rallied to record highs on the back of the Fed's stimulus efforts, as many investors bought gold amid worries the easy money would lift inflation and weaken the dollar. But as the central bank moves closer to tapering its accommodative measures, many worry gold prices will plunge in the absence of such threats. Gold prices had been down about 2%, trading below $1,300 an ounce ahead of the jobs report, but quickly reversed course after the data. Gold for December delivery, the most active contract, was recently up 60 cents, or 0.1%, at $1,311.80 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
August 02, 2013 08:50 ET (12:50 GMT)

Was debating to sell BG or not. Too late to bother now its going down with markets , with more trouble in Egypt I probably should have sold some but its not that weak . I have some index shorts anyway so
Questor like Genel, sold a bit
+BP div soon

Last edited:
Soldato
Gold is being tipped to drop ~1000k by various sources, I'm guessing there are a lot of people invested in shorting gold! Not that i know much about the gold market!

That fastjet sounds worth a look, might be good in a commodities boom for workers. Im sure they got rising demand anyway

Fastjet 20% up, not bad, i bought in at a penny and one of the more risky shares I've bought into for sure. May this trend continue!!

Monday should be interesting with the introduction of putting shares into ISA's.

Soldato
I made a little money in stocks once, but it bored the absolute **** out of me.

Better things to invest in, small businesses for instance. Good returns and perks.
I get free sandwiches and a steady return from one of my investments, and they are GOOD sandwiches.

Caporegime
Has someone changed the thread title. I've never noticed the spelling mistake before.

Thomas Cook I should have got in at 113 a few weeks ago

Associate
Thinking about jumping into the stock market monday on fastjet with about £200 then adding £100/month on various stocks to start up some savings. What would be the best website to use for that kind of money?

Soldato
Thinking about jumping into the stock market monday on fastjet with about £200 then adding £100/month on various stocks to start up some savings. What would be the best website to use for that kind of money?

Problem is fees! you can wind up paying £10 just to trade, so you're already down by a bit, then you are behind on the spread too.

I didn't look at this seriously before but wonder is there some account you can get that lets you trickle money into shares without having to pay fees each time you add more cash?

Maybe the more enlightened around here know.

Soldato
Problem is fees! you can wind up paying £10 just to trade, so you're already down by a bit, then you are behind on the spread too.

I didn't look at this seriously before but wonder is there some account you can get that lets you trickle money into shares without having to pay fees each time you add more cash?

The only way you'll get to trade for under a tenner per transaction is if you're a pro/day trader and do about 5-10 transactions or so a month; it'll then be about a fiver a trade.

Soldato
Unit trusts dont cost to deal so most people should start there plus its just safer then single shares
But if you want to deal single shares say at least once a week then you should let me refer you to my broker as they deal for 50p but the catch is a fee of 100 a year so it only makes sense if you determined to buy/sell all year but otherwise that is dirt cheap imo
Cheapest to buy and hold say every few months would be a broker like xo

For a long time I used halifax. on a regular buy they charge 2.50 I think it is. Very cheap, no sub fee but 12 to sell [on sporting events, etc they maybe give cheap sales, I guess due to everyone watching tv so on world cup deals might be a fiver during the england game or something]

Some special accounts give free trades but do so with sub fees. So iii do this + also a cheap regular buy. It might be best for some I guess

Details of KAZ selling ENRC is a horror story. No where near a fair price, its cast under the shadow of Kazakh nationalism. To argue with your own government would be foolish when in theory now they are free to profit from rising copper prices if that ever happens

Questor did podcast on big oil, says BP in trouble on court costs almost a sell due to this. I bought some anyway, I'm probably wrong they are a bit weak could linger at 440 or worse depending on market.
Seems cheap to me anywhere under 500 but like Kaz its afflicted with undue and unknown future risks

Caporegime

perhaps something like this if you're simply wanting to invest long term - buy&hold etc.. but with small amounts:

http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/products/sharebuilder/more-details.asp

obviously a bit less flexibility as basically they'll bundle the orders together at set times - but if you're on a budget and are going for long term investments then worth a look perhaps

The only way you'll get to trade for under a tenner per transaction is if you're a pro/day trader and do about 5-10 transactions or so a month; it'll then be about a fiver a trade.

a 'day trader' will be typically doing rather more transactions than that... its not really all that feasible with UK equities anyway rather people actively trading would tend to use CFDs - they can have direct access to the LSE order book etc.. but can avoid stamp duty

Associate
I've been doing more research and require an online broker that does international shares on the NYSE and either TSE or AMX, preferably TSE if not both. Low fees about £10 per trade ($15 for intl trades) and real time market data.

Anything like this that doesn't require £5000 deposits and what not?

Soldato
Ok I signed up to iweb and opened a share account as well as a stocks and shares ISA. I haven't invested yet, but I'm looking long term investments as opposed to a quick "punt".

I was reading up that if I wanted something more certain for long term investment it makes sense to invest in the huge firms TESCO, UNILEVER, NATIONAL GRID, DIAGEO
GlaxoSmithKline, etc?

Associate
Yeah, big companies don't have much risk, but that balances out with the reward but still better than 2% interest in the bank. Certain sectors that have taken a pounding after the financial crisis that are still recovering and will do well when the world economy eventually picks up are good investments imho, But make sure to diversify amongst various sectors if you go for individual stocks. A well performing fund may be for you.

I'm very new to this as well so don't take anything I say as anything but the ramblings of a lunatic :)

Soldato
I like Tesco and so on but any share can fall without warning. Really if you want all those companies just buy the FTSE and track it, much cheaper and safer.
Im trying to basically sell off a lot of my shares as we go higher with the excuse of keeping the ftse tracker, I still hold parts of them.
The miners should compensate for weakness elsewhere or vice versa, or so I figure

Just sold half of my BG, sideways for so long it seems. Just trying to ring up the till, take something back. I still need it to rise more.
Lloyds is doing nice, sold bit more and 80p I hope it gets. CEO gets a bonus at this share price or better

That spelling mistake is bugging me now heh

iweb does NYSE and the Dax £5 and 1% forex both ways, ok cheap for smaller deals and £25 to open I think it is now

AMX or TSX I dont think so, you would need td waterhouse maybe, never used them but they are Canadian. The cheapest thing might be if you can get a USA broker to sign you up, I never managed it and the very best are interactivebrokers (in uk too)who will need 5 or 10k but then that is appropriate size for global

Soldato
I dont get it, news that UK growth is actually better than originally anticipated with forecasts being revised.

And FTSE is taking a nose dive at the moment.

I know some shares are Ex-Dividend today (took 14-15 points off the FTSE).

But when I wrote this, the FTSE is 60pts (1%) down.

isonojedi/silversurfer care to offer your 2 penneth?

Soldato
This gives the cash paid in FTSE pts, so it goes down by:
http://www.stockchallenge.co.uk/dividends.php

Buy the rumour, sell the news. You are 'paid' to estimate the future, so market often reacts ironically to present tense events as its forward looking. That phrase is a money making machine, write it in gold gilt on your monitor :p

ie. the FTSE is not UK, most of 'our' stocks are mostly foreign earning. BP is not really british much nowadays, 20% is russian and so on - ironically this is why it was a good bet when it was under attack by usa regulators as its more usa then uk imo
so FTSE reacting to UK news, is a minor effect really.
Also more confusion, stronger sterling makes stocks go down so even if UK does better it dont mean stocks do (at least immediately)

Enter the comp on the link above, its the last day today. Good practise

some shares are Ex-Dividend today

UK ex is Wed and Intel went ex today I think but thats new york so its different globally. Intel is nice just for the divs I reckon, win/win

Last edited:
Associate
I think it is a lot of profit taking at the moment.

I was going to short FTSE this morning but had other things to do so I missed out.

The US jobs data was contradictory with less than expected jobs created but unmeployment claims falling.

Plus a lot of the jobs being created are low value jobs.

This is making the market uneasy about the Fed Taper though the ball-park figure of a 10 Billion reduction in September seems most likely though it is uncertain on what items the reduction will be on.

Haven't looked at much data today so it is just off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom