Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Uk, yea I'm aware of stamp duty.

Also I'm already a higher rate tax payer so looking into the benefit of trading through a LTD company. I already have a dormant company and bank account that I can use.

Caporegime
Why would you want to pay it, when trading intraday when there is a means of avoiding it? You don't *have* to use the leverage available but minimising transaction costs is fairly critical in short term trading.

I mean if you're holding a position over a period of time then its fine... but you want to 'daytrade' and want direct access to the SETS order book...

Associate
So how do I go about not paying it when intraday trading shares?

I agree, minimising trading costs is key when day trading hence trying to find the cheapest broker.

Caporegime
You use CFDs to avoid stamp duty - thus my previous suggestion that if you want to trade intraday, using the order book/level 2 data then take a look at interactive brokers and IG Markets... You don't really have much choice in this as a retail investor wanting to trade UK equities and use the order book.

Soldato
RRL - Range is dam cheap now, is that deservedly so :confused:

Im comparing it now to HOIL last year where there was a massive deal done and once that cleared it did rise. RRL is due to merge, obviously investors despise it now but I think this price is more of a pregnant pause before that big disruptive event.
I might be kidding myself, wish I'd sold it all out at 20p :o (would I rebuy it now, probably not right now tbh)

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/120457/falklands-update-my-biggest-fear-rockhopper-bought-out

Associate
Hi & Good Morning,

Before anyone starts, I know, I know.... However, I thought I'd ask.

I have a spare £1000 which I was thinking about investing in shares for up to 5 or more years.

I already have an account with H&L which I set-up for a share save scheme through work.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on possible stocks to look at/into to consider as an investment. I was thinking of applying for Royal Mail shares, but unfortunately the funds weren't available in time.

Is it worth still considering Royal Mail depending on how they do in the first few weeks/months of trading?

If anyone has any other companies worth looking at I'd appreciate the feed back/suggestions.

Many Thanks & Regards

Associate
Maybe buy an FTSE tracker, if you only spend a 1000 pounds it has to be on one stock to minimize transaction costs. We can give you 10 different ones and none of them is better than the other without diversification.

Soldato
i can see there being a retrace on RM due to people cashing in and MM's having there day. if i held any i'd certainly be tempted to profit take sharpish then buy back for the long term, but thats just my gambling nature. experience tells me i shouldn't follow my advice :o

RM aside, Solg looks good, i bought in quite low and if the results are as promising as the initial reports might suggest the returns should be good.

Soldato
So who's doing anything with RM?

Logged into my Tradefair account after aaaggeees to tempt me into doing something with it and out of interest looked at my old trades vs current price.

These are all the trades I had, with the prices I sold at and then the current price:

Land Securities: 835.6 -> 954.7
Atkins: 794.3 -> 1141.1
Bodycote: 366.3 -> 648.5
Great Portland: 438.8 -> 575.5
Shaftesbury: 543.9 -> 600.5

Why did I sell?!?! D: Granted two years is a long period for spread betting but I was obviously doing something right in general :p.

Soldato
I looked at selling ATK a few times but kept it as it appears so strong. I had already sold the majority of it long ago (sb) and kept the shares for the nice div Trading update later this year, I really dont know that much what they do- engineering management stuff :confused::D
Dont have the others but I usually sell well too early

I always read the tips from the telegraph for ideas, its best not to copy anyone exactly . But its nice to start off from where a team has done research and is putting their reputation on the line, etc

due to people cashing in
In the big scheme, I dont think the retail investors count as much as the funds investing in RMG. I read 400 funds were denied any take up which means they could be the ones buying now.
They clipped share allocations in the nineties but never this harshly. That level of interest on several fronts suggests decent demand so I'd hope it'll stay above £4.
The main gov site allows sales tomorrow

Soldato
I looked at selling ATK a few times but kept it as it appears so strong. I had already sold the majority of it long ago (sb) and kept the shares for the nice div Trading update later this year, I really dont know that much what they do- engineering management stuff :confused::D

My dad used to work for them and now is a regional director of a competitor so I know them quite well. They're also a huge employer in Bristol so know a few people who work for them albeit low down.

And yes, they're civil engineers but naturally are branched out into most reciprocal areas too such as water, highway management etc. As you can see from the 5 stocks I was in they're all land and construction based, effectively chosen on the simple premise that things could only get better in those industries (bought them all back in 2011). Which they obviously have :p.

Back
Top Bottom