1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Minusorange

Soldato

Of course, market seems to be very reactionary at the moment vs actually being priced in for anything, there's already talks of another round of stimulus packages too :eek:

2. platinum87

Mobster

I did not miss anything, if i had simply invested as before, i'd be sitting on a bigger loss.

I am not timing anything, i just learned enough to realize and adjust, i.e. get rid of US stocks, buy gold, and build up cash

And i am not wrong, quote me after 1 year.

3. Skeptic

Mobster

This, by virtue, is timing. By not being 'in' you are timing your entry. Anyway, I see by your timeline of 1 year that we are on different paths here, so I wish you well.

4. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Canadian banks offering silly returns now for money - up to 180bps for 12 months. A lot of their funding from oil and gas companies has dried up as demand has fallen, so they're hugely short on liquidity.

5. scerbera

Associate

There is a possible head and shoulders bottom in on the indices, and we have had a false breakout on pm, there is huge potential upside on pm's as it looks today. Shares I have been in and out of over the last 3 weeks, barc, bp, currently holding psn, lloy, lgen, av, tw, 3*oil, and looking to take profits this week. I have one i'm holding for long term started buying under 1300 which is imb. not as cheap as it was but divi not going to change, hugely cash generative and it's safe imo.

I also have a huge holding in an aim stock in vast circa 3%, just about to get diamond license signed off, has lots of things going for it and should see a quick run back up to at least 0.52p.

6. silversurfer

Capodecina

Inflation writes off the debt is the ongoing strategy, it wouldn't be serviceable under any normal monetary policy. A good reason for prices to rise is when sterling loses value so have to keep track of both, thats been minor just last days.
    PM having a more serious issue is of concern, Im not sure if they are being careful or actually under playing how serious it is but I know of someone who has had elevated temperature 16 days which doesnt seem right and no further (serious) symptoms :confused:so its hard to guess

https://twitter.com/JamesGRickards/status/1247344694310379520?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/inve...rket-were-not-in-the-clear-yet-104234346.html

My general take would be to expect a double peak to virus effects and cases even. Inversely a low now, a reasonable buy take profits then buy on future lows which will be a more normal flat bottom pricing vs extended factors.

2636 SP500 is just a loop, thats not clear direction either way yet. I got some AAZ and others previous which are risk on but I'd expect another chance to buy. Its not going right up because speculators borrow to buy and then sell early as they got no choice to hold it really, how we develop longer term is more boring to consider. Short stocks is long cash just as they introduce alot more cash supply via loose money. Tons harder to be right short and some of these yields are good to pay imo.
    CNA is a total wreck, is it that bad fundamentally, utilities could be the smart compromise

7. Richdog

Capodecina

So what do you think guys, has the market now fully turned and we will see no more drops?

8. StriderX

Capodecina

No. History would presume otherwise. But then again, who knows.

9. Richdog

Capodecina

Thanks. Just to clarify, I mean in the short-term during this pandemic, not no more drops ever. And regarding the "who knows", yup of course it's all just thoughts, opinions and edumacated guesses, hence why we have a nice big thread to discuss it. :)

10. Yucca

Wise Guy

Can you explain what you mean by this? Genuinely interested but have no idea what your talking about lol

11. Yucca

Wise Guy

What does this mean? Serious question.

12. Ironic Namesake

Soldato

Canadian Banks are short on cash and giving 180 bps (1.8%) in return on deposits

13. Skeptic

Mobster

Slight breather today? Might limit down when USA opens, but I'm a buyer today. Lots of positive noise out of Wuhan, if it is to be believed.

14. 413x

Capodecina

Well Av have dropped their dividend

Might sell out while it's flat

15. scerbera

Associate

need to be quick in this market, no room for sentiment

16. Yucca

Wise Guy

WHat do you mean by 'while its flat' ? Sorry if its a silly simple question... Trying to learn.

17. 413x

Capodecina

Sorry, just meant that it's same as price I bought it. So flat meant no profit no loss. Best not to take what I say. I'm no pro! :D

18. Minusorange

Soldato

I can't find the video but while watching yahoo finance yesterday one of the analysts they had on was saying on average 7 times out 10 the market will retest the bottom, when it falls it falls around 80% but he never gave odds on it falling to that 80% vs recovering once tested

19. englishpremier

Soldato

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask but can anyone PM me a link to Trading212? Fancy trying them out in additional to my current broker and might as well take advantage of their invite a friend offer.

20. Trusty

Capodecina

I would use IG personally...