Triathletes

Oh yeah, definitely planning on doing more. I do a 10mile time trial each week which I think helps a great deal and would definitely recommend trying it out. Got another sprint planned for September and a 25mile time trial which is specifically aimed for people slower than the 1 hour mark, which is just fine for me :D.

Out of interest, are your goals to do an Iron man, or to stay and enjoy the smaller sprint/Olympic/half distances?

Definitely a goal to do an Ironman, to finish it - I don't care about the time. Once I've done it, I've done it, and I can't see me doing any more. The sprint distance though I've found really enjoyable and will probably stick to that, with the occasional Olympic thrown in.

I'm not much of a fan of sprint distances. It's all over too fast and I don't feel it's worth all the effort of lugging the stuff around, racing through transitions etc... I can just simulate a sprint any day of the week. I've done three half irons and greatly preferred them to the two sprints I did last year. Just love open water swimming! Next year I'm almost certainly going to do an Ironman - just the one triathlon. I have my eye on The Forestman. The Race New Forest team are exceptional, and that race had great feedback this year. I did their Swashbucker middle distance (half iron) this year and it simply couldn't have been better organised.

I know what you mean, walking through transition you can see some awesome equipment. But flying past the guy with the £4000 bike as he fixes a puncture shows it's no gaurantee of sucess.

I've drawn a line under equipment. I have a pretty decent wetsuit and a my bike is okay (Planet X SL Pro Carbon Ultegra with aerobars)... spending hundreds (or thousands!) on bike upgrades etc. would be pointless. Extra hours of training are all I really need.

As soon as I can get into a size 7 Orca wetsuit then I'll start worrying about how aerodynamic my wheels are......until then though, it is nice looking.

Somethings do make a difference though; I'm going to sell my Ribble because the more miles I do on the Cervelo the more I realise that it's just much better at transmitting power to the rear wheel making it quicker and more efficient. I figure that a stiffer lighter wheelset should improve things as well.

You won't catch me buying a carbon stem though.

dad did the oulswater half iron man the other weekend and came in top 80. this is his diet and how he trains.

mon: bike 30 - 50 miles maby more.
tue: run at running club at night swim in morning
wed: bike 30 - 50 miles maby more.
thu:run at running club at night swim in morning
frid: bike 30 - 50 miles maby more.
sat: swim or rest
sun:bike 60 or 70 mile

diet: 3 balanced meals eg. Breakfast: bran Lunch:toastie or beans on toast or a sandwitch Dinner: curry and rice, pie and chips, fish, potatoes some meal involving that.

i train with him on the bike and running i just cant be botherd to get up at 5:30 to go swimming since ive been flaming some noob on ocuk since about 3 xD

edit: equipment.

bianchi nirone carbon forks and rearstays ultegra throughout just bolt on tri bars (no gears on the end) oh and some decent wheels i cant remember the name and i cba to go to the garage.

Last edited:
Well, I did 2.5 miles today in the outdoor pool here in my wetsuit today with comparative ease, I did half with paddles on my hand (to force good stroke technique) and half without. My arms are utterly knackered, but it's given me the confidence for the sea swim (1.5km) in August. I'm also doing a mile twice a week now, so whilst swimming will still be my weakest discipline, I no longer 'fear' it, in that its no longer about surviving the swim to get onto the bike.

Is anyone up for an Ironman distance event in the UK next year?

I've decided the do The Forestman. It's a relatively cheap one, the bike is relatively flat, the scenery is just awesome in the New Forest national park, there's good accommodation and the Race New Forest team out of the New Forest Triathlon Centre host amazingly well organised events. I did their half iron distance race in May.

Sun 26th June 2011.

Info from this year's race: http://www.racenewforest.co.uk/00_Forestman.html

Promo video: http://www.odtvplay.com/forestmanpromo.html

Yeah. I was looking at Ironman France in Nice, until I saw the bike profile..

I might just be stupid enough to join you. Any idea when entries open?
It'll be in the autumn, but it won't sell out in minutes like some the euro M-dot events.

[DOD]Asprilla;16935654 said:
I'm looking at the Forestman for 2012, I don't think I can do a full IM distance in 2011. :(
A year is plenty of time to train, especially as you've got a good bike background. Ironman is at least 50% on the bike unless you walk the marathon.

A year is plenty of time to train, especially as you've got a good bike background. Ironman is at least 50% on the bike unless you walk the marathon.

Easily enough time to train, and you all have a good background and experience with Tri's - so why wait? You never know what could happen in the future (injury, commitment etc?) so get yourself entered!!!
I had no experience but still entered into this year's IM, figured if you're going to do something, go in at the deep end ;)
Now have less than 7wks to go.
Got up at 5am this morning to do some lake swimming, but it was thunder & lightning......so went back to bed :D

The swim and the bike I've got no problem with, I just have a psychological barrier about the run.

Half marathons are fine, but I always said I would never and had no interest in running a marathon. I know I've got to get over that, but I'm not sure if next year is the right time.

[DOD]Asprilla;16935848 said:
The swim and the bike I've got no problem with, I just have a psychological barrier about the run..

If it were easy, it would not be such an accomplishment and everyone would be doing it. You really have to take yourself out of your comfort zone for a full IM.
Now get registering......

Was up at 5:30a.m to go swimming in the lake for the first time (properly).
Myself and a friend who is also doing the IM swam about a mile in the early sunrise.
Went really well. Going to try and do this 2-3 times a week.

Back
Top Bottom