TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
"Unlicensed Property" ... "Official notice : Investigation opened" and "Enforcement Officer Visit Approved" in RED ink on today's letter. So NOTHING will happen as per usual but I really enjoy it when they buy red ink for their letters.

Soldato
got a letter today saying my past declaration had expired and asking to renew. they seem to have spent time very slyly wording the questions as some say "do you watch TV" and other "do you watch live TV" sort of thing, then the set of y/n declarations go from "do you watch..." to "can you confirm you don't record" etc, so if you're in the habit of auto-clicking "no" to everything they'll be after you.
haven't watched owt but netflix and some Prime in years so i'm leaving my declaration as it is, see what they say.

Man of Honour
Why do they want your email address on the declaration form? It seems to be mandatory and you can't declare without giving it to them (or a fake one of course). They don't need your email address, only your physical address.

Don
Why do they want your email address on the declaration form? It seems to be mandatory and you can't declare without giving it to them (or a fake one of course). They don't need your email address, only your physical address.
Because you need an email address to use iPlayer and they cross-reference.

X

X

Caporegime
ug514NG.jpeg

Soldato
send in my no-licence renewal on wed, got a mail back on Fri saying renewed and won't get any more letters until the next renewal's due. not sure why people seem to be making such a meal out this?

Soldato
send in my no-licence renewal on wed, got a mail back on Fri saying renewed and won't get any more letters until the next renewal's due. not sure why people seem to be making such a meal out this?
A: You shouldn't have to do it. Would you feel happy being contacted by other companies whom products you do not use. What if Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD keep contacting you to keep filling out a form you don't use there product's? Where does it stop, what about if then BMW and all the other companies start doing the same? Why do you have to give your personal information to a company whom products you do not use?
B: They use the forms to gather extra information on you, often ignore the no licence renewal and then get aggressive increasing threats. Only now with your name being attached as they now know who you are as you filled out the form.
c: It should be 2 years but often its not.

Last edited:
Associate
Just thought I’d share a memory of a conversation with an old guy at work on the subject of TV licenses. A group of us were sitting together on our break and the subject came up. One of us said about how if you only watch dvds, gaming etc that you don’t need a license. This old guy then blurts out “Oh yes you do! The TV has a tuner, it can still receive signals so you still need a license. The only way you be license exempt is if you have an engineer come round and disable the tuner.” We all looked at him as if to say “wtf are you on about?”. He then continued “I know all about the TV license law, I used to work at Dixons!”

That sure gave us a laugh anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
right, so just a lot of whining. one mail confirming, giving no more details that on the application itself, and apparently that's an outrage for some people. lol.
just as an FYI, tesco doesn't braodcast food around in a manner that would let people get some if they hadn't paid for it etc. silly comparison. but, carry on your fights, i'll just wait another two years.

Soldato
right, so just a lot of whining. one mail confirming, giving no more details that on the application itself, and apparently that's an outrage for some people. lol.
just as an FYI, tesco doesn't braodcast food around in a manner that would let people get some if they hadn't paid for it etc. silly comparison. but, carry on your fights, i'll just wait another two years.
No its not whining as its far more serious then that. The outrage is justified after what some of us have been though. Good luck as plenty of people have done what you did and didn't make it two years and ran into problems because they filled out the form. I would never fill the the form again and view people like you as very naive.

FYI no other company in the world requires you to to contact them when you don't use there product and prove you don't use there product. No other company in the world requires you to pass over personal details when you have no contract and no dealing with there product. The BBC have had data leaks before and you just handed over your personal information not only for them to potentially use against you, but you did that to a company you don't even have any contract with or product you use. We are not whining, we are trying to warn you and stop you being as naive as you are.

Last edited:
Soldato

Why don't you tell me your name, address, family members, their age, since you're not a member of The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen?

Soldato
Don't forget you also need to look around Wolfie138 home inside all his rooms and on all his device as they filled out the form.

Don't forget the wording in the letters.

We know where you are
We know what you are watching
We can look through the windows.
We will enter your property anytime, anyday, without warning
Armed police with your tv license Gestapo and we will enter your property and shoot you
If you're scared feeble old woman we'll give you a heart attack, harass you constantly with more and more threatening letters
We will take you to court and fine you
We have particular skillset, We will find you and we will kill you.

Soldato
Another threat letter today. Will be posted back in a brown envelope without a stamp with the rest later. Idiots!
They seem to at least in my area hand deliver all those letters. If you remove there implied rights of access to your property it stops the letters and stops them knocking on the door. At least it worked for me, I haven't had a letter or inspection in many years and I don't have to do the forms every other year either.

Soldato
Euros and upcoming olympics were off the menu for non members, or had to rely on broadcast down the pub, though, chose ITV as preferred coverage with its pro-referee

BBC standards falling
Glastonbury coverage - lack of high quality audio streams of all/most stages was disappointing
Strictly : who dares wins : sounds like they should start making this programme exposing the bootcamp training regime of the 'celebrities' could become popular

Back
Top Bottom