TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
I don't think council tax makes sense - because it's not the council providing this service.
But I think they'll roll it into tax somehow, or at least part of it, I just wish they'd communicate what their plan is.
The whole thing just stresses me out, I don't want to be thinking about whether I should cancel my tv license or not, I try to forget about it but it's always popping back into my head.

Yeah might not be council tax.
But as it's by household and council tax is already collected by "government" what other place could it be bundled into?

Broadband? If so could just go sim only and avoid it that way.

Adding it to water or electric would mean a flat rate for everyone.

My money would be on council tax as(if they want) they could make it cheaper for lower bands. I don't agree with it. But I don't see a better option.

And the government like to make it easy. So that's my view.

I guess maybe it could go in general tax. That would be even worse. As there's so many people who don't pay tax, the amount you'd be charged over the year if you do pay tax would be waaaay higher than 170 per year per house.

Last edited:
Soldato
If they stick it on tax then people who had it cancelled at the change over should be exempt (permanently).

Last edited:
Caporegime
If they stick it on tax then people who had it cancelled at the change over should be exempt (permanently).
I doubt that would happen. Sooner they do it the better.
Because if they leave it until the BBC is really unpopular, it may lose a lot of votes "here a 200 a year bill added to your taxes that you won't use"

Let's say we get to 2027 and BBC has 10 million subscribers. If they get to that point they'll be adding tax to do many people it'll be unpopular.

Do it today and I doubt it will impact too many to the point of losing votes

Last edited:
Soldato
Whatever tax they tack it on to it’ll probably be means tested, so some will pay almost nothing/nothing and those of us that do work will get hit with the full amount.
Edit
Pretty much what 413x said.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whatever tax they tack it on to it’ll probably be means tested, so some will pay almost nothing/nothing and those of us that do work will get hit with the full amount.
Edit
Pretty much what 413x said.

For sure. I mean if everyone is paying 170.and it goes means tested.. Who knows that would be means tested? 300 a year? More?

Soldato
Outside of the World service and other soft power elements, which should have remained funded within the FCO, I certainly do not want subsidise a television broadcaster in any way shape or form through taxation. In this day and age; let it compete with other commercial broadcasters / streaming services. They'll either make it work or it will fail.

Soldato
strictly will be shutdown then - sounds very honest

Labour idiots could be diverting their rwanda money savings to the BBC as the new front for the gang busters, though - if you've scanned report
Europe’s most wanted crime bosses had
been arrested as a direct result of the
BBC podcast, To Catch a Scorpion. What was
even more remarkable was that I had invited
the presenter and producer of the podcast,
Sue Mitchell, to give the Board a talk on
the series that very same day

Soldato
I doubt that would happen. Sooner they do it the better.
Because if they leave it until the BBC is really unpopular, it may lose a lot of votes "here a 200 a year bill added to your taxes that you won't use"

Let's say we get to 2027 and BBC has 10 million subscribers. If they get to that point they'll be adding tax to do many people it'll be unpopular.

Do it today and I doubt it will impact too many to the point of losing votes

Its already really unpopular, they are losing licence payers because it doesn't offer anything over the other (sometimes free) and much more modern services.

Back
Top Bottom