TV Licence Super Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ken
  • Start date Start date
Use the dedicated thread please.
I don't have access. Posted in there too many times by accident.

Maybe some clear guidelines exactly what is to do with TV Licensing. Are we able to discuss programming or is that for the TV and Film section? Or is it made up on the spot.

Last edited:
I don't have access. Posted in there too many times by accident.

Maybe some clear guidelines exactly what is to do with TV Licensing. Are we able to discuss programming or is that for the TV and Film section? Or is it made up on the spot.
Discuss tv licensing like the thread title suggests? It’s not for a current news article about someone who was working for the BBC, come on, use some initiative.

Tried to cancel my tv license today. Wasn't able to.
Tried on the website, but it made me call instead.
So I phoned them, but the lady insisted I needed a license for youtube/twitch/parliamentlive so wouldn't be able to make a no license needed declaration.
I know that's wrong info, that's only true if it's a live tv broadcast, which I explained, but she refused to proceed unless I agreed with her.
Couldn't speak to manager, so I have no option but to make a complaint.

Funny thing is they started the call by an automated reminder to be nice to the staff. I'm always nice, but they tried all sorts to put me off cancelling, website that didn't do it's job, 5 mins of automated phone system, 5 mins of your call is important to us, 5 mins of trying to convince me why iplayer is so great and legalese scare tactics, then just outright refusing to continue. I can understand why people hate them.

Last edited:
So I phoned them, but the lady insisted I needed a license for youtube/twitch/parliamentlive so wouldn't be able to make a no license needed declaration.
I know that's wrong info, that's only true if it's a live tv broadcast, which I explained, but she refused to proceed unless I agreed with her.

Funny thing is they started the call by an automated reminder to be nice to the staff. I'm always nice, but they tried all sorts to put me off cancelling, website that didn't do it's job, 5 mins of automated phone system, 5 mins of your call is important to us, 5 mins of trying to convince me why iplayer is so great and legalese scare tactics, then just outright refusing to continue. I can understand why people hate them.

Don’t pay. What can they do, nothing.

Why are you messing about having lengthy conversation with the goons.
Just say you want to cancel , done. Doesn't matter the questions they ask..its no, no and no.

Same for when you get all the letters - ignore them. If they ever come round - the answer is no. No you can't come in my house. No I don't need a license. No.

Last edited:

Interesting. I cancelled mine 2 years ago and had to back to the website last month to "renew" the cancellation. It's pretty pathetic having to declare you do not use a service every 2 years.

This is why you should never make contact. Bunch of liars.
Sure, but I previously did watch tv, I'm just stopping now, so it's a bit late for not making contact.

Why are you messing about having lengthy conversation with the goons.
Just say you want to cancel , done. Doesn't matter the questions they ask..its no, no and no.
The website didn't work so I had to call. I was just politely getting through the scripted convo to the actual cancelling bit, but that wasn't possible, she wouldn't just accept it and proceed anyway, I tried that.

Sure, but I previously did watch tv, I'm just stopping now, so it's a bit late for not making contact.

The website didn't work so I had to call. I was just politely getting through the scripted convo to the actual cancelling bit, but that wasn't possible, she wouldn't just accept it and proceed anyway, I tried that.
That's pretty bizarre. I'd attempt a repeat and then shut down any discussion about perceived use or need for it and repeatedly state "I want it cancelled now and any outstanding months refunded". Otherwise, cancel the Direct Debit and continue to view live TV / iplayer if so desired till the current license period ends and then re-attempt the online declaration.

Although, part of me agrees with the above to simply ignore any correspondence. I personally get highly annoyed with the endless letters technique that BBC employs.

Just cancel the DD and have no further correspondence with them.
This.
It’s what I did, then just recycle the once a month pointless letters they’ll send you.
If by a very very slim chance the goons show up, just don’t open the door or if you do, refuse to talk to them and shut the door.
You’re under zero obligation to talk to them and they have the same authority as any other door to door salesmen, ie none whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom