Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
anyone else think on all the Type-Rs - but especially the 6 speed ones - that they'd scarifice a bit of performance in the top gear for extra economy ? ie make 5th (on 5 speeds) or 6th longer ?

I don't see the need for my car for example (and same on newer ones) - to be at 3,800 revs for 70, when 4th gear is so close to 5th anyway (ie you could always drop a cog). My car pulls easily fine enough to keep up with traffic at 2k revs, so you could easily make it longer and make say 70, 3000revs or so - I'm sure it would improve economy on the motorway wouldn't it ?

You can always drop a cog, it takes 10s of mseconds, but you can't magically make 6th/5th longer ...

as it is on my VTI you can easily pull from 35 upwards in 5th ... to me that seems too short geared ...

Don
Yup

On my DC2 (5 gears), I wish the 5th gear was a much longer gear. You have to drop to 3rd or 4th for overtaking anyway.

Sitting at 70mph at ~4k rpm can't be doing itself any favours in the MPG figures

Soldato
Luckily the S2000 got the longer 6th gear, would be a pain on the motorways without it. 5th and largely 4th never really get a look in, right up to the limit in 3rd then straight into 6th.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I don't find 6th in the S2000 that long to be honest, it's still up near 4k at 70/80.

Luckily the S2000 got the longer 6th gear, would be a pain on the motorways without it. 5th and largely 4th never really get a look in, right up to the limit in 3rd then straight into 6th.

I remember being told not to do that on these, i.e. go from a redline in second or third to sixth as you're hitting the higher gear with all the force of 9krpm or something.

Imagine it a bit like cycling really fast down a hill, then suddenly riding into wet thick cement as you're still going for it, might hurt your legs a bit :)

That's a rubbish explanation but hopefully people know what I mean, and I've no idea if it's true or not just what I'd been told!

OcUK Staff
6th gear on my car is happy at 40mph and probably 140mph seems long enough to me :confused:

The longer the better for economy.

6th on my car is happy at 30mph and 190mph. :)

Americans are kings of long top gears, my Mustang in 5th was happy at 30mph just about and was geared for 240mph and thats how a 600BHP car could still nearly manage 30mpg on a run. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Gearing on the ep3 is perfect for my driving tbh. The only thing it could do with is more aggressiveness in 4th as the first three gears have a superb 'on the boil' feel but 4th just drops off even when 3rd is taken to the limiter.

I feel that 6th is only really useful as a cruising gear for my driving style.

Soldato
Gearing on the ep3 is perfect for my driving tbh. The only thing it could do with is more aggressiveness in 4th as the first three gears have a superb 'on the boil' feel but 4th just drops off even when 3rd is taken to the limiter.

I feel that 6th is only really useful as a cruising gear for my driving style.

in which case - surely then a higher geared 6th would be better ?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Not particularly. As I say, it's perfectly fine in the grand scheme of things.
I don't think any of us on this forum are in a position to say that our gearbox design ideas are better than that of any established car manufacturers

6th is fine as a cruising gear, increasing long distance economy and reducing cabin noise. It doesn't need to be longer at all as it simply wouldn't add any benefit for me personally.

5th is a good gear for finding power at motorway speeds.

Soldato
Really bored of my Teg atm, she's a bit like a wife who's boring, a bit rattly and slow most of the time.

I need to take her off the morning commute and give her a good screaming for a day :D

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
That budget would net a low mileage facelift example.

I would not consider paying more than 3800 for that.
Too close to facelift money imho

Caporegime
May go and look at this today.

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/ad...wing-1/0?PHPSESSID=7f63q078npl8uvqfqlcii5me62

Anything I should be looking out for?

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...ing-guide-check-list-for-the-EP3-Civic-Type-R

Print that off and go through it in detail on the car. IMO that car is overpriced, you could get a facelift with that money (similar mileage) but if it's in good nick it may be worth it for piece of mind. Little things like four matching tyres and no worn out interior can show it's been cared for. Air Con is a must on these, they just don't sell without it and it's just nice to have in general.

Back
Top Bottom