Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
I don't want a German hot hatch, I want a Type R that has sensible gearing in 6th. What's wrong with making it more pleasant and economic driving on a motorway without spoiling it when driving around B roads?
You won't get that on a Type R, simple as. Unless of course Honda change their philosophy.

Caporegime
Luckily the S2000 got the longer 6th gear, would be a pain on the motorways without it. 5th and largely 4th never really get a look in, right up to the limit in 3rd then straight into 6th.

Great ways kill the syncro on the box

The idea with a lot of VTECs is to have it so it never drops out of when you are driving hard hence the closeness of the box. You want it to stay on the high cam The s2000 has a really long 1st gear to try and allow a longer 6th but its still too short IMO. It makes it a pain on the motorway but you can see why it is the way it is. A longer 6th could be an option for 'overdrive ' but then you will limit te top speed to whatever it can do in 5th on the redline

Soldato
You won't get that on a Type R, simple as. Unless of course Honda change their philosophy.

I would if I changed the 6th ratio in my gearbox, but the expenditure probably outweighs the gains as it won't be a cheap exercise.

If the engined was properly mapped (i.e. not the stupid late VTEC engagement that gives a significant dip in torque before it engages) then the box wouldn't need to have such close ratios in the first place. It's a great car and I do enjoy driving it, but the compromises/marketing decisions made do spoil it a bit IMO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still silly speed on anything but unrestricted roads/track, depends on what you want to use it for I guess.

My point was that Honda wouldn't want to cripple the top speed by putting a long 6th on. 140mph would upset the facts boys

Dogbreath, I agree. Web I first got my S2000 I got a load of flak for saying it needs a 7th gear. I still go to change up when I'm in 6th after I've been driving other cars.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Dogbreath, I agree. Web I first got my S2000 I got a load of flak for saying it needs a 7th gear. I still go to change up when I'm in 6th after I've been driving other cars.

I do this all the time, sometimes 6th really does feel like 4th, and that's from just driving the S2000 and nothing else at the moment really.

Soldato
Is block shifting when out of VTEC bad? What about for example 3rd --> neutral --> 1st to pull away when at a junction? The gearbox is to be loved and cherished I know, but it's not sequential and when not at the redline, how bad can skipping a gear be? I suppose I'll find out after my gearbox oil is changed on Tuesday... 5 year service. Also treating the car to a slight touch up on the stone chip and parking nick front.

Caporegime
That's fine. The synced have to deal with a massive speed differential from 9000rpm in 3rd to suddenly then go into 6th.

By going through the gears you average out this speed differential. Honda reccomend to avoid block shifting in one of their manuals

Soldato
Is block shifting when out of VTEC bad? What about for example 3rd --> neutral --> 1st to pull away when at a junction? The gearbox is to be loved and cherished I know, but it's not sequential and when not at the redline, how bad can skipping a gear be? I suppose I'll find out after my gearbox oil is changed on Tuesday... 5 year service. Also treating the car to a slight touch up on the stone chip and parking nick front.

Thats not block changing really as you essentially have double de clutched going into neutral. 1st 3 gears are triple cone synchros aswell on K20 I think?

Soldato
What speed are you doing if you red line in 5th on the EP3?

About 137mph

A lot. Hence why the gearing is perfectly fine.

This doesn't make any sense, just because red lining it in 5th means you are going very quickly, doesn't mean that 6th is optimal for cruising.

At 80mph it's doing 4000 RPM. In terms of the entire rev range that's not a lot, you have another 4500RPM to go (if it could pull it), but it's still quite buzzy at 4000 RPM, and it feels like it could pull higher gearing without struggling. It pulls amazingly well in 6th for a normally aspirated 2.0L.

I guess it comes down to the sort of driving you do. If most of your driving is around town or on B roads you would never consider it low geared. If you do any significant motorway driving you would.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats not block changing really as you essentially have double de clutched going into neutral. 1st 3 gears are triple cone synchros aswell on K20 I think?

So to avoid putting undue strain on the synchro the thing to do would be (motorway slip road for example) 3rd in VTEC --> neutral and let off accelerator to allow revs to drop, then into 6th. I don't for a minute expect that anyone block shifting like this will VTEC it up to 70-80, switch straight into 6th using the quickest shift possible and carry on putting the hammer down.

Sorry if I sound retarded about this, but a few people on S2KI work through the gears which seems like a bit of a waste of time if you're allowing the revs to drop between shifts. I'm really trying to ascertain what constitutes reasonable daily driving and shifting rather than track use.

EDIT: I suppose rev matching is the aim of the game.

Soldato
is that due to the noise off the engine or because of all the sound proofing :p.

Engine noise, well induction noise, coupled with that fact I have no rear interior, doorcards, carpets and have pulled out most the sound deadening.

Stones hitting underside sound like I'm offroading on a gravel track rally stage :D

Associate

I have found the same. Looking for another gear sometimes thinking im in 5th or something.

On a different note i just finished installing racelogic traction control on my 2002 s2000. It is as yet to be calibrated which i will do sometime this week. I hate wires :( . Will post more once complete

Soldato
Evening gents :)

So the Type R I test drove the other week I've ended up buying :D

CTR.jpg

FSH, 4x new tyres, wheel refurb, just had a major service, 6 months tax and 12 months MOT. It's just ticked over 82,000 miles.

£3950 it's cost me. Yeah it's a pre-facelift but I believe it's a fair price as it's in excellent condition for a 9 year old car!

Back
Top Bottom