Type R and VTEC owners

Interdasting..

DO NOT WANT.
S2kGT_copy.jpg

honda CTR owner here too :D got it on tuesday. loving it. although... it does drink a lot of fuel compared to my old corsa 1.2 :p mine is also blue like mdixson's. :)

Yes, going sideways towards a tyre wall was definitely what made me want a 2000:p;) I still hate the open top "everyone look at me" thing, but I love how they look, especially the GT with the hardtop.

Such a shame about the rear arches, I thought Honda would have learnt by now. Those strips did exactly the same damage on my old MB6.

Admit it, I caught it, put the power on, and still went over the blind crest at well over 100 ... you loved it ... even if you did look as white as I felt !

Great story bro

I'm not going to lie, it was total fluke.

Came round the second turn in of Charlies with too much speed, couldn't pull it off the kerbing in time, rear left wheel went on the grass, slid sideways towards the right side of park straight facing the tyre wall at the bottom of the dip and somehow got grip. I think it was fear that kept the throttle planted :D:p

.... Or the guy who gave me tuition earlier on was ACTUALLY turning me into the new Senna.

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/media/276/charlies_view.jpg - kerbing I over ran on the left.... HUGE black tyre wall to the right further down... !

Last edited:
wanting to get an induction kit for my FN2... but im hearing a lot of mixed opinions on flat spots etc and remapping. im not looking for a bhp boost, just a slightly better vtec noise :) im looking at the HKS RSK on sumo power...

http://www.sumopower.com/product/hks-racing-suction-kit-reloaded-70020-dh001

but im worried it may cause flat spots.. anyone got any experience with this kit?

I haven't noticed any yet but it's not really been hot so can't say about heatsoak. TDI North have made a heat shield for it for £45+VAT that will help a lot, then you can go further if you want with scoops etc, see here. The noise on the HKS is unrivalled but sadly I can't hear it any more since I got my new zorst.

You bought it then -Tauren-! How much?

Yeah man! Loving it! 15 k with finance :p traded my corsa in for 6500k, the corsa had 8000 miles on it lol. :) wanted a Honda since i was 17. Didn't pass my test til i was 22.

I haven't noticed any yet but it's not really been hot so can't say about heatsoak. TDI North have made a heat shield for it for £45+VAT that will help a lot, then you can go further if you want with scoops etc, see here. The noise on the HKS is unrivalled but sadly I can't hear it any more since I got my new zorst.

Awesome! I think ill get the hks kit from sumo power and ill get a heat shield as well :) sorry for vague reply. on my phone at the moment. thanks for your help! What exhaust system do you have?

Yeah man! Loving it! 15 k with finance :p traded my corsa in for 6500k, the corsa had 8000 miles on it lol. :) wanted a Honda since i was 17. Didn't pass my test til i was 22.

Awesome! I think ill get the hks kit from sumo power and ill get a heat shield as well :) sorry for vague reply. on my phone at the moment. thanks for your help! What exhaust system do you have?

Nice, ask for Cazza, she'll sort you out, she's really lovely, tell her GC sent you :cool:
My exhaust is made by a Finnish company called Martelius, I opted for this over the JDM brands as it was single exit and the sound is not matched by any other exhaust I've heard. That said, if I had a long drive to work each day I wouldn't be able to put up with it! It's very loud.

Small FN2 type R review

I test drove a FN2 Type R last sunday purely out of interest. I had an extended test drive so they let me go out for just over an hour in it. Luckily for me the weather stayed nice on sunday so I could give the Type R a good beasting before bringing it back to the dealer :D

I was mainly comparing the Type R to what I currently dirve - Seat Ibiza Cupra which has 180BHP 185lb/ft torque and DSG gearbox.

So getting into the type R I found the dash was a plethora of buttons and switches which I didn't really attempt to learn but it looked pretty cool. The seats were amazingly comfy and hugged well.

Setting off I realised there is hardly any travel in the clutch which is also very stiff, this is a good thing! So smashing through the gears was easy and so satisfying, something that the DSG equipped Cupra robs me of.

Now to the power, I already new the engine gets to its best above 5500-6000 rpm due to vtec change over. It made for good "progress making" driving and was fun, the noise of the 2.0 is surprisingly addictive something that my Cupra lacks is aural noise. However the issue was that the lack of power before the vtec change over meant, literally flooring 1st gear to go anywhere, which was fun at first I can imagine it would soon become a novelty after awhile. The Type R had a lot less instant shove, which I missed, compared to the Cupra which I am certain would show it a clean pair of heels 99% of the time.

Handling, now I expected the Type R to be a handling god. Whilst the steering felt uber precise, the soft suspension and VSA traction control didn't allow me to point the car exactly where I wanted. I have no doubt the earlier Type R (ep3) with a lighter kerb weight and full multi link rear suspension would be superior around the twisty bits. In comparison to my Cupra the type R definately felt like a bigger car, the kerb weight shows it too. The brakes were good, nothing outstanding but good, similar to my Cupra really.

So all in all, I enjoyed the car a a lot. However I do believe the ep3 type R would be the choice if you wanted the purest type R experience. The problem I have with the FN2 is whilst it is really fun, sounds awesome and has everyday practicality(in terms of space) it lacks the shove, refinement of my Cupra. I couldn't imaging waking up everyday and slogging through traffic with the type R.

To me it would be the perfect weekend warrior but then why would I need 5 usable seats and a big boot? When it comes down to it, I just don't think it is "my type" of car, not to live with everyday at least! Plus the rear wing over the window annoyed me loads :p

Here are a few pics I took, it was an 09 GT spec with sat nav and telephone prep:

IMG_0075-1.jpg

IMG_0076-1.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Tauren, check Civiv forums to see what this is like..

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-civic-type-r-fn2-carbon-fibre-intake-kit-129/

The DC2 one that they do is a replica of the Mugen box, I have it and it's great

Forgot about this one. Yes it's got a good rep unlike their manifolds that fall apart.

re above ^ The rubbish low end is an issue and a reason why so many people get a Flash Pro remap which totally transforms the car. I can understand why people wouldn't buy this car knowing they had to fork out another £600 for a remap though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom