Type R and VTEC owners

Caporegime
Must admit the talk of a stiff clutch and soft suspension is a bit weird, I must have driven a zillion of these things and always thought the clutch is no different to a base model and the ride is hard and feels the slightest little pebble.

Permabanned
/Good writeup

The FN2 doesn't do it for me, if I were to get a Type R it would be the ep3. Honda seemed to have taken a backstep in terms of the FN2 for me, IIRC it's only got 1bhp more than the ep3 but is heavier. It also lacks the independent rear suspension set up that was used in the ep3, and gave it it's well respected handling credentials.

Also the looks of the FN2 are somewhat marmite for me. From some angles it looks ok, but from the back I just really detest it, the fake triangle exhausts do not work either.

It seems Honda have lost the hot hatch battle IMO, Golf's GTi, Focus ST, Megane RS are streets ahead now.

Soldato
ermm isnt the cupra like 7-8 seconds to 60 or something iirc? you sure you were driving it right? :p

also, soft suspension?!! wut.

The Cupra will pull well from low down in the rev range, the Honda less so, one does need to make it rev....such is the difference between forced induction, especially in a compound charged setup like the TFSI where there is no delay waiting for the turbo to make boost (well I suppose there is but the supercharger is providing boost until that point!).

As for the FN2...my impression was heavy clutch and fairly hard suspension, but not a lot of feel through the steering.

Soldato
wanting to get an induction kit for my FN2... but im hearing a lot of mixed opinions on flat spots etc and remapping. im not looking for a bhp boost, just a slightly better vtec noise :) im looking at the HKS RSK on sumo power...

http://www.sumopower.com/product/hks-racing-suction-kit-reloaded-70020-dh001

but im worried it may cause flat spots.. anyone got any experience with this kit?

HKS mushroom filters are known for being absolute crap. Useless filtration and cost a bomb.

If you want a decent open filter for sound then something from APexi would be ideal as tests have shown them to be the best.

Also, soft suspension on an FN2, lulwat, my DC2 must be like a lincoln town car then?

Soldato
HKS mushroom filters are known for being absolute crap. Useless filtration and cost a bomb.

If you want a decent open filter for sound then something from APexi would be ideal as tests have shown them to be the best.

Also, soft suspension on an FN2, lulwat, my DC2 must be like a lincoln town car then?

Known on the FN2 for being useless? Please elaborate with some facts, looking forward to hearing them and comparing to my daily driving experience with one installed for the last 3 months.

Caporegime
The FN2 is probably alright on those wheels in terms of rider. Never been in the Type R version but a mates 2.2 D is nice. Loads of room in the back too

Soldato
ermm isnt the cupra like 7-8 seconds to 60 or something iirc? you sure you were driving it right? :p

also, soft suspension?!! wut.

Seat claim 7.2, v-box claims 6.9.

I am very sure I was driving it right. Engage 1st gear, rev, enjoy the vtec until the limiter, change up, repeat?

Must admit the talk of a stiff clutch and soft suspension is a bit weird, I must have driven a zillion of these things and always thought the clutch is no different to a base model and the ride is hard and feels the slightest little pebble.

I'll rephrase, suspension felt soft in comparison to the Cupra, not just feel but with body roll. I have never driven a base model civic so it could be the same, however I have driven many different manual cars, MX5, Scirocco, Golf GTI etc and the clutch on the type R felt the stiffness but it had little travel which made changes quick.

The FN2 doesn't do it for me, if I were to get a Type R it would be the ep3. Honda seemed to have taken a backstep in terms of the FN2 for me

This is exactly what I think.

Just wanted to share my thoughts, not ripping on the car, no car is perfect!

Soldato
Known on the FN2 for being useless? Please elaborate with some facts, looking forward to hearing them and comparing to my daily driving experience with one installed for the last 3 months.

Bledd answered your calling.

Cheap crap with a high price tag. Just look at those results in the test, the HKS is truly terrible. Now please show us your facts and figures.

And £370, Fail!

Soldato
I thought it was a well know fact among the JDM community that the HKS mushroom fiilters were fairly pap. Everyone on the supra forum seemed to think so, so I wouldnt imagine the Type R owners would sing it's praises.

Soldato
Those tests were done on a Supra and unless it's done with the Racing Suction Kit Reloaded on an FN2 then Ill never be convinced.
Not defending its honour, just saying I've had no issues with it and I paid nowhere near those figures that are being thrown about.
I'd welcome a comparison on my actual model of car. If it really is that bad I'll change simples. No need to get into an argument about it, apologies if my post came across as defensive or aggressive.
Re facts and figures, need a relevant test first. I got hands on experience with mine, not just quoting things I read on a forum for a car I don't have ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Those tests were done on a Supra and unless it's done with the Racing Suction Kit Reloaded on an FN2 then Ill never be convinced.
Not defending its honour, just saying I've had no issues with it and I paid nowhere near those figures that are being thrown about.
I'd welcome a comparison on my actual model of car. If it really is that bad I'll change simples. No need to get into an argument about it, apologies if my post came across as defensive or aggressive.
Re facts and figures, need a relevant test first. I got hands on experience with mine, not just quoting things I read on a forum for a car I don't have ;)

I think it was because you asked for hard facts and then when asked yourself you had none.

If it works for you then fair enough but you have to understand why some people disagree!

Soldato
thanks for all your help guys! :) i dont know what im going to do regarding the induction kit as of yet...as ive only just found out its still got a years warranty left on it.. so i dont want to void it by replacing parts etc.

picture of it from just before after i cleaned it.

BBDdf.jpg

just one problem.. upon inspecting the alloys closer, i found there are like black spots that do come off eventually but require a lot of rubbing. im not sure what they are? any light shed on this?

Soldato
thanks for all your help guys! :) i dont know what im going to do regarding the induction kit as of yet...as ive only just found out its still got a years warranty left on it.. so i dont want to void it by replacing parts etc.

picture of it from just before after i cleaned it.

http://i.imgur.com/BBDdf.jpg[IMG]

just one problem.. upon inspecting the alloys closer, i found there are like black spots that do come off eventually but require a lot of rubbing. im not sure what they are? any light shed on this?[/QUOTE]

tar or burnt on brake dust.

Soldato
I think it was because you asked for hard facts and then when asked yourself you had none.

If it works for you then fair enough but you have to understand why some people disagree!

Yes hands up I was in the wrong. I'm not sure what the issue is though because if the power gains are all around the same what the issue with the filter getting dirty?

Associate
Yes hands up I was in the wrong. I'm not sure what the issue is though because if the power gains are all around the same what the issue with the filter getting dirty?

Are you reading the above link mate? I think its due to the fact that the test shows the amount of dirt PAST THROUGH the filter not collected by the HKS element.

The question is. Is your filter the same made as the one in the above link?

and even if it is....simple change the filter with another popular choice that filters better

Last edited:
Soldato

No worries, not taken in a bad way at all, same with mine.

Just that HKS arn't suddenly going to make radically different filters for different cars, or upgrade the foam material to improve filtration. The filter gives added power and makes them lots of money, it doesn't matter that the filtration is rubbish.

In essence it'l be the same design and material so the results are comparable. Get something like an apexi if you can, or just something better than the HKS, as tbh I would be worried that something as large as sand particles could possibly get through that HKS foam.

Back
Top Bottom