Type R and VTEC owners

OcUK Staff
It's about ****ing time, gonna look right at home next to the cow sheds

Yeah good luck to him keeping it clean.

Think Taken was proper loving the drive back in it.

What I've noticed with the Type R, if your under 4000rpm and just gently cruising about its actually very good. If your on the boil its absolutely awesome fun and the car seems to really dance and move about underneath you and I really like that in a car, it means its fun way below the limits of the car but can also be driven on the limits as I demonstrated to Taken. :D

The downside is the mid-range, if you drive it between 4000-5500rpm they just seem a bit buzzy/resonator, just a bit noisy basically, though RJK says this is generally down to heatshield resonating and that most just remove it to prevent the noise, so if that really bothers you Taken you know what to do, just pull it off as thats what RJK has done. :)
Though I'd leave it to be honest as its only noticable if you listen for it. :)

Soldato
Leave me alone :p

Haven't had much chance to drive the FN2 yet! Was super tired last night on the way back, so only Yo'd it a couple of times.

Drove it 25 miles tonight, I see what you mean now Gibbo, about it being Either slow to drive or wanting to be Thrashed. There's no inbetween which is taking some getting used to!

I love it though, looks nice , goes well, and lots of toys!

OcUK Staff
Leave me alone :p

Haven't had much chance to drive the FN2 yet! Was super tired last night on the way back, so only Yo'd it a couple of times.

Drove it 25 miles tonight, I see what you mean now Gibbo, about it being Either slow to drive or wanting to be Thrashed. There's no inbetween which is taking some getting used to!

I love it though, looks nice , goes well, and lots of toys!

Enjoy mate, play into it and soon you will love it. :)
The resonating I've been told by RJK and my other mate with an FN2 they fixed by just removing the heat shield as it's just that. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Enjoy mate, play into it and soon you will love it. :)
The resonating I've been told by RJK and my other mate with an FN2 they fixed by just removing the heat shield as it's just that. :)

most likely that if it is similar to the EP3 driveshaft heatshield.

Anyone have a Type R GT, thinking of changing the Focus for one?

dont own either but have driven both for long enough to comment.

Civic:
  • economic if you choose as you can drive off cam
  • better seats than a focus as they grip you better
  • engaging to drive
  • for me, rear suspension feel lets it down
  • nice modern appearance.

ST:
  • Sounds better in stock form than a stock FN2
  • the ST2 + ST3 trim levels are arguably better equipped than an FN2
  • more comfortable on a long journey
  • seats hug you less than the civic but are more comfortable for longer trips
  • suspension feels solid but forgiving compared to the harder civic
  • i drove a facelift but i personally feel the preFL ST doesnt look as good as an FN2
  • focus has lower down, more useable power at the expense of arguably [slightly] worse economy
  • focus sounds better on the boil and imo, handled very well.
  • easier to get more power out of the focus.

if you own a focus, I would suggest giving an FN2 a try. But they are very stark contrasts and you may simply prefer the way the engine makes power.

Soldato
Thanks for that, i like the look of the new one but, at the same time always liked the look of the FN2. I do a 80 miles a day so your comment about the seats is very helpful.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
you need to try it really.
personally i love the FN2 seats [only thing i really prefer in it over the EP3] but i can see how they would be tiresome on a longer journey.

i really liked the leather recaros in the ST3 i drove though. not quite as wrap around as the FN2 but a stark contrast from my fiest ST i had at the time of the test drive.

to an owner of an ST, I personally think its going to be marmite. you are either going to fall in love and run back into the dealership screaming "take my money" or be running in the opposite direction as fast as possible

i doubt there will be a middle ground :p

OcUK Staff
Thanks for that, i like the look of the new one but, at the same time always liked the look of the FN2. I do a 80 miles a day so your comment about the seats is very helpful.

I have to say the FN2 buckets are some of the best I've experienced and are comfy even on long trips, but I find buckets more comfortable than regular seats as your body sits snug in them and they are far more supportive.

Having driven Focus ST, they are poo, don't like them one bit just boring I found and at high speed felt nowhere near as planted. Sorry I just don't rate the Focus ST at all, give me an FN2 or Golf GTi anyday, both far superior I found.

Soldato
I have to say the FN2 buckets are some of the best I've experienced and are comfy even on long trips, but I find buckets more comfortable than regular seats as your body sits snug in them and they are far more supportive.

Having driven Focus ST, they are poo, don't like them one bit just boring I found and at high speed felt nowhere near as planted. Sorry I just don't rate the Focus ST at all, give me an FN2 or Golf GTi anyday, both far superior I found.

That's the reason a lot of people stick them on eibachs. They are a bit to "sprung" when they leave the factory but, i guess they have to be to carry the 2.5 lump. Going to go look at a couple of Type R GT's today, there is one 5 minutes from work at a main dealer for not bad money either.

Soldato
to an owner of an ST, I personally think its going to be marmite. you are either going to fall in love and run back into the dealership screaming "take my money" or be running in the opposite direction as fast as possible

i doubt there will be a middle ground :p

Will have a good look around and test drive a few before i do anything. Less trips to the petrol station will be a nice bonus!

Back
Top Bottom