Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Can a decent EP3 be had for £2.5 to £3k? :)

Mine was £2.5k (talked down from more like £3k cause I went to school with the dealer) but I would have preferred to payore for a lower mileage example if I could have.

Mine has got 112k on it now and whilst it pulls like a train being pulled by a bigger train I would have preferred to have one with about 70k on for maybe £1k more.

Mine needs a couple of things doing that probably wouldn't if it was lower mileage. There are a couple of irritating rattles and it need aircon redoing as well as tram lining a bit and being a little wobbly at very high speed.

The guy said he will sort it but that remains to be seen when we can find a mutually convenient time for him to have it in.

Having said that I absolutely love it and still think I got a bargain :D

Man of Honour
Mine has got 112k on it now and whilst it pulls like a train being pulled by a bigger train I would have preferred to have one with about 70k on for maybe £1k more.

Mine needs a couple of things doing that probably wouldn't if it was lower mileage. There are a couple of irritating rattles and it need aircon redoing as well as tram lining a bit and being a little wobbly at very high speed.

I'd be amazed if there is the difference you claim between 70k and 112k. I can't see what an extra £1k on a 70k car would have got you really? There would be no guarantee it wouldnt develop the same faults!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22870101 said:
I'd be amazed if there is the difference you claim between 70k and 112k. I can't see what an extra £1k on a 70k car would have got you really? There would be no guarantee it wouldnt develop the same faults!

Exactly this.

A car lovingly nutured, maintained above and beyond the Honda specs and with 112k could be in great nick, but a 70k car may have had some serious abuse with a complete lack of basic maintenance.

Buy on condition, not mileage!

Soldato
Exactly this.

A car lovingly nutured, maintained above and beyond the Honda specs and with 112k could be in great nick, but a 70k car may have had some serious abuse with a complete lack of basic maintenance.

Buy on condition, not mileage!

Fair enough :)

I'm pretty pleased with mine. But not sure if £2.5k is enough for a good example generally.

/edit on another note is there a guide anywhere for removing a cat heatshield?

Soldato
I'd want to spend more really to get a good one.

I've tried so hard to keep mine truely mint as it was when I picked it up nearly a year ago, maintenance wise its had loads done, think the only thing left to change is aux belt (and new tensioner I think due to a little rattle, I'm picky!)... but some kid scratched it nicely on the rear 1/4 on holiday, a mate leant on my front wing with jeans on and scuffed it and now some nice idiot on works carpark has opened their door into mine and dented it! So annoyed :(

At least it's all on the drivers side... but still, no common courtesy anywhere from people not into cars. Don't see why we should pay to fix our pride and joy thanks to other careless folks!

Anyways I'm gonna be buying my Eibach/ABP springs very soon and Eibach camber bolts and arms, and renewing a few things like drop links perhaps and ball joints etc. Week off in Nov will see them fitted :) Can't wait to get rid of the arch gap!

Associate
I'd want to spend more really to get a good one.

I've tried so hard to keep mine truely mint as it was when I picked it up nearly a year ago, maintenance wise its had loads done, think the only thing left to change is aux belt (and new tensioner I think due to a little rattle, I'm picky!)... but some kid scratched it nicely on the rear 1/4 on holiday, a mate leant on my front wing with jeans on and scuffed it and now some nice idiot on works carpark has opened their door into mine and dented it! So annoyed :(

At least it's all on the drivers side... but still, no common courtesy anywhere from people not into cars. Don't see why we should pay to fix our pride and joy thanks to other careless folks!

Anyways I'm gonna be buying my Eibach/ABP springs very soon and Eibach camber bolts and arms, and renewing a few things like drop links perhaps and ball joints etc. Week off in Nov will see them fitted :) Can't wait to get rid of the arch gap!

You work hard to keep yours mint and then you're gonna go and slam it.....

Soldato
Not exactly slamming it :) Personal preference mainly for the looks as I am not a fan of the arch gap so just want to close it up a bit.

I don't think the ride and handling will be affected in a negative way with Eibach stuff.

Soldato
Fair enough :)

I'm pretty pleased with mine. But not sure if £2.5k is enough for a good example generally.

/edit on another note is there a guide anywhere for removing a cat heatshield?

1. Look underneath.
2. Identify heatshield.
3. Find the bolts, try a few sockets/spanners on them to get the size.
4. Take them all off.
5. Pull it out :D

Soldato
1. Look underneath.
2. Identify heatshield.
3. Find the bolts, try a few sockets/spanners on them to get the size.
4. Take them all off.
5. Pull it out :D

Sadly....I wouldn't know how to identify a heatshield if it fell off and smashed me round the face.

I'd be afraid I'd pull off a bit I actually need lol

I'm assuming that it's at the back of the car.... is anyone able to provide me with a photo of one please? (specifically on a CTR EP3)

Soldato
As in the area of the world? Or the part of the car?

I'm hoping nothing will catch fire! lol

I'm wondering if I could get under the car without raising it, but I doubt it lol.

Associate
You need to start learing how to work on your car, giving us vtec owners a bad rep not knowing what a heat shield is generally most civic owners are enthusiasts, especially type R owners.

Soldato
You need to start learing how to work on your car, giving us vtec owners a bad rep not knowing what a heat shield is generally most civic owners are enthusiasts, especially type R owners.

LOL thanks for the advice :)

I'm new to all this, used to VW's :p

I have arthritis so working on cars myself is not always physically possible, but where I can I'd like to learn little bits like this :)

Back
Top Bottom