Type R and VTEC owners

OcUK Staff
Look at the GT3 and the GT2 Porsche 911s.. If one does 1:30 the other will do 1:28/9. Theres jack all in it for such a power increase which leaves the only variable the way the chassis works which would mean the chassis on the 911 is either truly superb or not as good as the GT2s engine. As tdi have said the torsion bar (which is pretty awful from a technical point of view) on the FN2 will remain solid on a flat/smooth track as its fixed so it should make little to no difference. Depending on the set-up it could even potentially help as it would act in a similar way to a sway/roll bar. Track width vs track length also plays a good part in how a car handles. The track length is very similar but the width on the FN2 is greater making the length to width ratio beneficial for the FN2.

I would assume both drivers are of a similar skill set so perhaps the FN2 was slightly better set for the corner types on the given track where by the additional power of the EP3 would play little difference.

Yes and no m8!

GT2 is all about horsepower and pure driver skill. For someone to drive a GT2 fast or near the limits is very very difficult, they are the 911 which still live up to their past traits.

But yes in short the GT2 has too much power and the turbo's extra comfort it enjoys adds more weight.

This is why GT3's are always the fastest cars Porsche have for tracks, the 4.0 RS being their fastest. As GT3's weigh less and being NA are much better on throttle and easier to drive closer and too the limits.

In short the GT2 is just plain scary, whether it be a straight line or a corner, you think your going to die. :D

GT3 on the other hand is rawer and a precision tool it is just an absolutely sublime car, that will take trackday after trackday in its stride without issue, whilst remaining relatively comfy to use on the road. Evidence is the fact many use them as their daily drivers. :)

Soldato
Soldato
Well this has stayed remarkably civil which is nice. My FN2 will be getting stage 1 cams and uprated oil pump next. I'm tempted by the TDI turbo conversion as well but there is that nagging part of me saying to stick NA.

TDI have no beating down to do, they probably cater for more EP3 owners anyway, that's just butt hurt talk suggesting otherwise.
OCUK Honda meet needed, could have a ruck too just to get it all out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah Dezi's car is awesome. I need to do LSD/BBK/Clutch as well if I'm doing that so these must be factored in to the over all cost. Doing a little at a time, I like to have reserve funds for a rainy day.

Caporegime
Yes and no m8!

GT2 is all about horsepower and pure driver skill. For someone to drive a GT2 fast or near the limits is very very difficult, they are the 911 which still live up to their past traits.

But yes in short the GT2 has too much power and the turbo's extra comfort it enjoys adds more weight.

This is why GT3's are always the fastest cars Porsche have for tracks, the 4.0 RS being their fastest. As GT3's weigh less and being NA are much better on throttle and easier to drive closer and too the limits.

In short the GT2 is just plain scary, whether it be a straight line or a corner, you think your going to die. :D

GT3 on the other hand is rawer and a precision tool it is just an absolutely sublime car, that will take trackday after trackday in its stride without uissue, whilst remaining relatively comfy to use on the road. Evidence is the fact many use them as their daily drivers. :)
I can't disagree with most but the guy I know reckons the GT3 is too fast for the road and too loud. Sold it for an e92 M3 and still has his race car.

"
I'm sure people read my GT3 musings and think i'm mad, but what you observed is what it feels like to drive on the road. It's badly balanced. The way the M3, or something like an EVO is setup, is to be much more complaint. There's very little roll, but the damping is such that there is some give and will absorb bumps, crests and dips. Sounds like the NSX is similar. On a flat road the GT3 was really impressive, but we don't have many of those. Hence the conclusion I came to was that it's a bit of an odd car, only much use for the track or posing.

The M3 is so compliant it feels very chuckable and would monster a country road. I'm dead chuffed with it, and it's more than I expected."

Soldato
Purely aesthetics Chris. I understood from the get go it was the superior drivers car and quite rare on our roads but if I don't like how a car looks then I'll never be happy with it. If I like how a car looks but doesn't drive as well I can usually take steps to change that.

Soldato
Why does it put you off? It's a fantastic car.

It's not a 260hp FN2 of Time Attack Killing AMAZEBALLS...................

:D

I'm a big fan of the FD2, not at that price though. A DC5 and planty of change could be had, or just economise and get an Accord Type-R in that lovely dark metallic purple..... OMNOMNOM!

Man of Honour
OP
The problem is, if you buy an FN2, you buy an FN2. Just look at the back end of it. Eugh.

It's not as if TDI would make more money of FN2 owners than they would EP3 owners is it? Ah... wait.

Soldato
I don't like Tegs either, worst looking of the bunch to me. I like Accords though, especially in that Pirate Black colour they used to do. I've always preferred hatchbacks to any other shape cars with a few exceptions.
I should also say I didn't like the back end of the FN2 which is why I knew the Mugen rear would be purchased. The wing this week will top it off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like Tegs be it UK/JDM models. The DC5 I used to like but the more I looked at it the more I thought meh. I love Hondas, although I don't think I can bring myself to own one. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom