Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Arai has a very good point about using that engine. It is clear they want to be the fastest. The trick rear wheels is a bit speculative. The engine will be at least a 1.6T or 2.0T. The HP will be in excess of the rivals which is currently 265HP. This points to something very promising. It also indicates the 2.0T to be the likely candidate, that power may be a bit keen for a 1.6T to achieve without pushing it too far.

Permabanned
Quite surprised how easy I reeled in another EP3 in the other day. As we were both going onto the dual carriageway, he set off first, I paced him and caught up with him pretty quickly.

Only have a Kpro and Tegiwa intake, the other guy had an exhaust of some sort. Have to get mine dyno'd as I'm really interested to see what power mine is now.

Soldato
Quite surprised how easy I reeled in another EP3 in the other day. As we were both going onto the dual carriageway, he set off first, I paced him and caught up with him pretty quickly.

Only have a Kpro and Tegiwa intake, the other guy had an exhaust of some sort. Have to get mine dyno'd as I'm really interested to see what power mine is now.

You always have to mention the KPRO. :D

Get it dyno'd to see what it is at then go from there if you want to continue with bolt on mods. You could always do the ultimate and SC it. Though I don't agree with any FI on a Honda as it should always be all motor in my eyes.

I'm rather annoyed that the next CTR will be FI TC, though I guess it had to be the option as other manufacturers have gone down the same route.

The problem with N/A is, for modding and power out put, parts are expensive and you get little gains. With FI mods can be had cheaper and greater gains can be achieved. Though a Honda without screaming all motor VTEC in the next gen platform will seem very odd.

I guess the B-Series guys will be jumping with joy as they can upgrade without getting bottom end B18C4's. :p

Soldato
The problem with N/A is, for modding and power out put, parts are expensive and you get little gains.

To an extent yes, but it's not that expensive to get the K20A up to around 240bhp or so, surprisingly easy in fact compared to tuning the older B series. It starts getting a lot more expensive after that though.

Soldato
I do sorry :)

Unless I come into lots of money I don't think I'll be getting a turbo or sc. Just exhaust and RBC header and that's all you can do pretty much with the bolt on mods

What do the k20's come with as stock headers? RBC are meant to be good bang for buck, I think RRC out perform them too. I've been doing a little research on them, as well as the Skunk2 version. S2 version isn't worth it, unlessyou have supporting mods i.e. bigger TB, stage 2 cams, etc..

Exhaust and headers sounds good. You could always end up changing cams in future though wouldn't see the point unless you did go turbo. I think if you do change headers/exhaust and remap again it'll make the most of it and you'll definitely feel it.

Soldato
I reckon the kpro would help loads, maybe it's my driving but if I aint literally nearly nudging the limiter its like I'm always dropping out of vtec for a split second when ragging it.

Have to say I'm thinking about selling mine now, I'm doing about 17/18,000 town miles a year and spending about 250 a month on juice. It's been reliable but now I've lowered it it's not a great town car what so ever with the shocking state of the roads in Stoke at the mo... if I aren't able to enjoy it properly I'm starting to think whats the point. I spend more time keeping revs low to save fuel and dodging pot holes.

Gonna draft an advert whilst I'm off work and put it about see if it gets any interest at a high price point lol.

Soldato
I reckon the kpro would help loads, maybe it's my driving but if I aint literally nearly nudging the limiter its like I'm always dropping out of vtec for a split second when ragging it.

Have to say I'm thinking about selling mine now, I'm doing about 17/18,000 town miles a year and spending about 250 a month on juice. It's been reliable but now I've lowered it it's not a great town car what so ever with the shocking state of the roads in Stoke at the mo... if I aren't able to enjoy it properly I'm starting to think whats the point. I spend more time keeping revs low to save fuel and dodging pot holes.

Gonna draft an advert whilst I'm off work and put it about see if it gets any interest at a high price point lol.

I'm sure someone told you not to lower it before you did lower it? The UK roads, are not good for lowered cars. Especially with fuel prices and bills, people are finding it more hard to fund cars such as this, as to really enjoy them you got to go at the limiter.

I wouldn't sell it personally, if you do enjoy it. Just take it easy and try not to drive when you do not need to. The cold weather also takes a toll on the MPG.

OcUK Staff
[TW]Fox;23429374 said:
How is that a tough choice?!

With you here! If you can afford a GTR than a CTR should not even be in the same sentence, they are worlds apart in ability and also worlds apart in running cost too.

Soldato
With you here! If you can afford a GTR than a CTR should not even be in the same sentence, they are worlds apart in ability and also worlds apart in running cost too.

Running cost is not a major issue. I get great pleasure out of driving high revving Honda's. A turbo on one of these will be extremely interesting. However i am swaying towards the GTR because i know it will be epic. However I need to drive one I think to make my mind up. Got over a year to decide yet. :D

OcUK Staff
Running cost is not a major issue. I get great pleasure out of driving high revving Honda's. A turbo on one of these will be extremely interesting. However i am swaying towards the GTR because i know it will be epic. However I need to drive one I think to make my mind up. Got over a year to decide yet. :D

As good as Vtec is the Civic is FWD and only so much fun and driving pleasure can be had. The GTR is just in another league, a Civic with a turbo still won't touch a GTR.

To be honest if you've got GTR money you've got access to lots of great machinery all of which are in a different league to a FWD hatch, you'd have to be some kind of die hard Vtec fan!

You are aware there are many vehicles with production V8's and Flat 6's which exceed 8500rpm too ain't you! So high rpm and torque combined. ;)

Soldato
Very true. I am a Honda addict! I have driven many cars and I completely agree FWD is limited. A RWD custom built racecar was the most fun I had in a car (ahem). Perhaps it is time to move on, that turbo CTR has me curious though. Upfront cost is going to be the same (in 2014), running cost is going to be more of course. Performance wise the GTR is giving supercars a run.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Very true. I am a Honda addict! I have driven many cars and I completely agree FWD is limited. A RWD custom built racecar was the most fun I had in a car. Perhaps it is time to move on, that turbo CTR has me curious though. Upfront cost is going to be the same (in 2014), running cost is going to be more of course. Performance wise the GTR is giving supercars a run.

You could build a 400BHP FWD car that will spin the wheels in most gears and that is my point, power you can't use unless absolute perfect conditions and even then 1st and 2nd probably be hopeless.

That would just not be fun at all for me, more an annoyance. I suggest you drive some cars such as BMW M3, GTR, 911, Cayman R, EVO X, 1M, R8, AM8V, XKR are all in your price range and all are in a different league to a FWD hatch.

Back
Top Bottom