Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
You could build a 400BHP FWD car that will spin the wheels in most gears and that is my point, power you can't use unless absolute perfect conditions and even then 1st and 2nd probably be hopeless.

That would just not be fun at all for me, more an annoyance. I suggest you drive some cars such as BMW M3, GTR, 911, Cayman R, EVO X, 1M, R8, AM8V, XKR are all in your price range and all are in a different league to a FWD hatch.

Extremely good point. I think the first couple of gears would be quite hopeless unless they're long but what would be the point of that!

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Extremely good point. I think the first couple of gears would be quite hopeless unless they're long but what would be the point of that!

That would just not be fun at all for me, more an annoyance. I suggest you drive some cars such as BMW M3, GTR, 911, Cayman R, EVO X, 1M, R8, AM8V, XKR are all in your price range and all are in a different league to a FWD hatch.

Caporegime
Very true. I am a Honda addict! I have driven many cars and I completely agree FWD is limited. A RWD custom built racecar was the most fun I had in a car (ahem). Perhaps it is time to move on, that turbo CTR has me curious though. Upfront cost is going to be the same (in 2014), running cost is going to be more of course. Performance wise the GTR is giving supercars a run.

Supercharged S2000 or NSX if your a Honda nut

Soldato
Sign up on GTR forums, it's all there and Litchfields are very good. Tempting thing about GTR s stage 1 is like 550BHP and don't cost a fortune.

That's impressive. I knew they had a reputation. I know an AM is £1500-2000 for its yearly service. Gulp!

Thanks for the heads up about the forum, I will take a look.

//Edit: £750 for a GTR service seems about right. Bit of a step up from the Honda! To be expected.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Values will only go up too. Bit like the M3 CSL

Yup. If I'd have kept mine it would have appreciated!

Just wish I could afford both, 911 is more fun on the road and more involving for sure but the CSL was superb on track, remember sub 1:20's round Donny with some guys going even quicker. :eek:

Soldato
NSX r would be straight on the driveway if I had the cash. Absolutely amazing machines. There's a fantastic BMI video with an NSX R, Gallardo, Murcialago, 911 (Turbo?) M3 (CSL?) and a 360 of some sort going around a track. NSX Is out front with the two Lambos and leads most of the race till they boil the oil ! Incredible performance considering the BHP shortfall.

Soldato
I reckon the kpro would help loads, maybe it's my driving but if I aint literally nearly nudging the limiter its like I'm always dropping out of vtec for a split second when ragging it.

Have to say I'm thinking about selling mine now, I'm doing about 17/18,000 town miles a year and spending about 250 a month on juice. It's been reliable but now I've lowered it it's not a great town car what so ever with the shocking state of the roads in Stoke at the mo... if I aren't able to enjoy it properly I'm starting to think whats the point. I spend more time keeping revs low to save fuel and dodging pot holes.

Gonna draft an advert whilst I'm off work and put it about see if it gets any interest at a high price point lol.

Tell me about your car...since I crashed the S2000 I have looked at insurance with the fault claim (total loss) and its back to being silly for almost every car :( its like £900 for a rubbish 2002 Mondeo 2.0 or something, and £1300 for an EP3 Type R....

I don't want something rubbish and boring (and am willing to spend the extra on insurance to have something I might enjoy driving rather than something utterly rubbish :o) and really like the VTEC power delivery based upon the short amount of time in the S2000, so something like an EP3 CTR seems to fit the bill pretty well and should be 'in budget' after insurance is all dealt with....!

I also have a nice new stereo and gear knob I bought for the S2000 that would also go nicely into a CTR...

Soldato
Tell me about your car...since I crashed the S2000 I have looked at insurance with the fault claim (total loss) and its back to being silly for almost every car :( its like £900 for a rubbish 2002 Mondeo 2.0 or something, and £1300 for an EP3 Type R....

I don't want something rubbish and boring (and am willing to spend the extra on insurance to have something I might enjoy driving rather than something utterly rubbish :o) and really like the VTEC power delivery based upon the short amount of time in the S2000, so something like an EP3 CTR seems to fit the bill pretty well and should be 'in budget' after insurance is all dealt with....!

I also have a nice new stereo and gear knob I bought for the S2000 that would also go nicely into a CTR...

Do it. Although finding a clean example of a CTR is difficult as most have been modified in some way. I don't think you'll find it lacking in any department as it has enough power and handling characteristics to make it a fun car.

There is also room for modifications if you want to go down that road later on. Test drive a few and see if you like it.

Soldato
Do it. Although finding a clean example of a CTR is difficult as most have been modified in some way. I don't think you'll find it lacking in any department as it has enough power and handling characteristics to make it a fun car.

There is also room for modifications if you want to go down that road later on. Test drive a few and see if you like it.

I honestly wish I'd never sold my Fiesta ST now I'm in this position, my Fiesta had 200bhp, LSD, sounded great with the intake and exhaust mods, bigger brakes, 28k miles and was pretty mint...not sure a Civic Type R is going to be much of an 'upgrade' from that sadly, good car as it is.

Advice for anyone here: don't crash :(

Soldato
I honestly wish I'd never sold my Fiesta ST now I'm in this position, my Fiesta had 200bhp, LSD, sounded great with the intake and exhaust mods, bigger brakes, 28k miles and was pretty mint...not sure a Civic Type R is going to be much of an 'upgrade' from that sadly, good car as it is.

Advice for anyone here: don't crash :(

I think everyone feels the same when they have spent money on a car they've had to improve it. It feels special to them.

A CTR probably won't be much of an upgrade though you can then mod it more to get 240/250bhp? It's the handling on Hondas which make them so :cool:.

Crashing happens, and you learn from it. No need to feel down. Seriously, have a look at some and just see if you like it. If not you can replace with something else. I've always been interested in a range of cars, from sporty to lolgrandad type. Though with Honda it will always be a manufacturer which I will adore.

There is just something about it, something about the high revving N/A engines they have made. The driving feel, the feedback.

I've been a passenger in a range of cars from S5 audi's to highly tuned Subarus. Those cars are awesome in a straight line, enough to make me giggle like a little girl. Yet as a passenger, when it came to handling they were planted but to really drive them on the limit you had to go lolmph which I don't think I'd ever do. Though driving a FWD on the limit is just so much :cool:.

All be it, I did do it with weak tyres, so maybe the limit of the car wasn't lolmph, but would have been if the tyres were excellent. The VTEC is addictive, and anything below that is lolgrandad speed. It's just the sheer noise of the engine, the screaming, if I could have a soundtrack for anything remotely fun in my life it would be that soundtrack.

As you can see I am a secret Honda lover. :o

Soldato
I've drafted an advert today, I am torn what to do really... as the car is ultimately dependable and reliable, I know it won't cause me issues on that score. But, I am putting a lot of money in the tank and putting a lot of miles on it and yet only driving it steady. Seems a shame to have such a car and not use it properly.

Thing is no doubt I'd swap to some form of diesel and it break on me, dual mass flywheels, egr valves, injectors and all that. Making the move effectively pointless!

I was indeed told to not lower mine but the arch gap on these as standard was too much for me to live with, purely aesthetically. I loved the looks of the car so much more when it was done! And I did it (mostly) properly, proper camber arms and bolts, full alignment, front caster increase polybushes etc etc. All that for looks, not cheap lol.

They're ace cars and the fact they don't break is a major plus point. But, I do miss torque and toys it cannot be denied.

Back
Top Bottom