Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
K20's generally only go due to three things:

Low oil
Oil starvation on extreme left handers (ie running AD08, high rev and stock sump)
Over rev

If anything else it's a freak incident, or it's modded and has a poor map/too much boost.

IIRC over revs are logged on the stock ECU, Honda or someone with the right kit could pull up the info.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
About time too, they have been outrageously overpriced because they've effectively had a monopoly. I reckon the KTuner system has given them the kick up the backside they needed.

indeed. i have emailed TDI about it because frankly, i am not driving from kent to get my car mapped.

*edit - just got email back from TDI who are not price matching CPL :(

not sure to go for the ecu reflash or a k100 and mapping session.

I have plenty of time to decide as i have to put the car through its big service very soon, replace my front tyres, get my brakes overhauled and have my new LSD fitted :cool:

VTEC just kicked in yo :eek:

^and after seeing that, maybe a baffled sump :p

Man of Honour
OP
May as well pay for the KPro and have it delivered, then get it mapped a TDI. Even if I lived in Kent I'd still drive to TDI.

Edit:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...tch-promise!&p=1121668&viewfull=1#post1121668

TDi-North said:
Will have to check. We don't do reflashs anyway and never made any money on actual Hondata products as they hold prices high but if they finally dropping them what with other solutions becoming available its all good.
At the moment I would say get them to install a KPro and then bring it to me for mapping!

Soldato
went to see (and had a test drive) in a red EP3 today, and a CW FN2

I was expecting to come back with one or the other - but somehow neither blew me away and I'm not sure why

the CW FN2 had tints on all windows, especially dark at rear sides, and rear windscreen (apart from bottom plastic bit) and it made the whole car inside feel very dark and gloomy - especially I think it would be for the kids in the back. Tints could be removed I suppose.

all the FN2s I've seen so far doesn't seem to hold upthat well exterior wise, most of the EP3 I've seem to have better bodywork ...

the white one didn't seemto have any paint missing at least - but had a carpark ding (maybe more than one) - but most of the red FN2s I've seen seem to have whole chunks of paint missing (like 1-2mm parts have chipped off), and very stone-chipped bonnets

Soldato
Our Fn2 57 plate (in red) interior is fine, apart from on the rear of the passenger seat where my little girl has a habit of kicking the little ****

However overall, decently impressed, not real squeeks or rattles for a 52k mile car now... infact it's running and looks fantastic... exterior wise it's perfect and I mean perfect, only washed with maguires and waxed with maguires... fantastic although I would say Honda paint is **** compared to other companies. You have to look after it and wash at least once per week and treat to keep the shine, if done properly, it's mint.

When I bought it for the wife 18 months ago, I put 15mm spacers on, it already had the 19" rage package, rear camera and sat nav, then I splashed some footwell lighting in there as well... next on the list this summer is a super charger for both the Type-R and my RX8...

Soldato
the tints if factory are far far darker on the CW FN2s then ...

the bit at bottom of rear window almost looked like a skylight ! lol

The bit at the bottom? I'm thinking the bottom of the rear window wasn't tinted? Then I'd suspect the owner has had it tinted, as factory fitted, the whole glass is tinted rather then a specific portion of it.

I'm still on the hunt for a Accord Type-S, all the ones I've seen are dogs. Maybe that's why they're so cheap. I really want to go see a few Accord Type-R's though I'm finding them a bit marmite to look at, they're old, and the 5th gear syncro issues. I might be let down as the one's I'll probably end up viewing are the cheapest, and dogs. Yet, I feel I'd enjoy driving one a lot. I want to keep a car for quite a while. I do tend to get bored and like a change. I want a fast 5 door N/A. There isn't much that tickles my fancy apart from a Honda.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ hi - yes the bottom perspex bit - no that was clear

Honda dealer again today - stated all the tints were factory spec - but I wasn't convinced - but they may be right - was the CW one from Gravesend

was a nice - car -but too dark inside for me - and not sure for me a CW commands the premium or not

Permabanned
I'm the only one miffed about the price reduction of KPRO's / K100's :)

Didn't plan on selling it anytime soon anyway but was nice knowing the value they held....or used to.

Soldato
I was looking at 330is, 130s, all sorts - but even though I've 2 kids to fit in back and 3 doors aren't completely ideal - the FN2s (if I can find the right one) are at top of list still

they seem and are - just such good value for money compared to all their peers - both in performance, and space inside for the given overall size

I was also looking at Octavia VRSs - which are better as 5 door, but due to the size of the boot, makes them very long (almost a foot longer than the Type-R) - we have parking issues so that'd be an issue

then you factor in the interior, which on the Civic is leagues better (IMO) - no brainer really

Honda - next time - fast 5 door please - make things even easier, some of us want a fast car with 5 doors (think Civic MB6 VTI, Accord Type-R etc)

:)

the interiors of the FN2 seem to wear extremely well

the last few weeks have shown to me the premium of "brands too" - for instance a Octavia VRS on an 09 plate (FL with Chain Driven improved TSI engine) with low miles you can get for around 10k, but a Golf GTI - with the older FSI engine, less toys inside (but perhaps nicer interior),and smaller, on an 08 plate, 11.5k if you are lucky.

I've looked at a few EP3s recently, and handling and overall performance aside, from a dealer at 5 odd K, they make older FN2s at 8-9k seem a bargain really

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom