Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Use Honda MTF or Amsoil.

I've got Land Rover MTF94 in mine. It's a fair bit cheaper than Honda.

vita, isn't that "nut" the o2 sensor? It's probably leaking from the rocker gasket and dripping down? spray the whole area with Gunk (covering up any electricals) and give it a good clean, then look where the oil appears first.

Last edited:
Soldato
vita, isn't that "nut" the o2 sensor? It's probably leaking from the rocker gasket and dripping down? spray the whole area with Gunk (covering up any electricals) and give it a good clean, then look where the oil appears first.

Not sure Tim. Does it have an o2 sensor there? I only spotted two, one before the cat, one after.

I have yet to master the H22 engine. I checked the rocker gasket, and can't see anything there. The oil filter did have some oil dropping and I'm hoping, just hoping that it's either been from a oil top up overspill. Or the oil filter was loose at one point and has been tightened.

I may just take it to a mechanic and get it looked at. I don't want to do something to make the problem worse. I cleaned up the area anyway before I posted and will be shortly going back to it to see if there are any more drips.

Soldato
img3578de.jpg

Jesus H Christ @ all that liquid gasket

any exposed gasket inside the sump that falls off gets trapped in your oil pump pick up

Soldato
if there is a gasket then it seems mental they used any sealant :D

not all cars nowadays have a sump gasket though but you use a really small smear to seal it

Soldato
yup, the vw workshop manuals all state the halfmoons on the cam covers need liquid gasket, but again its a very minimal amount they say is required

Soldato
Was just typing that.

seems a lot of bodges are in that 1 little picture. Can only imagine what the rest of the engine bay looks like.

Vita, what have you done? You have not been on Swapz have you? :p

No I haven't. I bought this from a guy on the accordr forums. I thought he was an enthusiast guess I was wrong. It has had quite a few owners and I guess some didn't look after it as much.

EDIT: "Enthusiast" owned.

img3582ly.jpg

img3581yi.jpg

That pipe is not connected to the intake as there is no place to put it!

Second picture shows a pipe which isn't connected to anything and has a screw in one end.

Really is filling me with confidence!

EDIT2: Apparently the Oil Filter seal is a common issue and needs changing, and also the OEM Cam seal does. The screw with the pipe is not needed as it's part of the vaccume system for the original airtake. I have an induction kit installed. Thanks to the reply on accordr.

Last edited:
Associate
Mixture of studs and bolts on the sump is 'standard Honda' practice I think (it is on the b-series anyway, and they ran side by side in production as the H22).

That cam cover breather pipe normally runs back to the intake pipe. I'd put a breather filter on the cam cover and get rid of manky looking pipe. Last one looks like a vacuum pipe. Check for empty nipples on the inlet mani and the fpr.

Oil leak looks like it's coming from the oil pressure sensor as matt said.

Associate
What's the consensus on the Accord 2.4 Type S?

I'm looking for a relatively cheap runaround of this ilk (3 series, A4, Mondeo etc) and although a friend had one which I liked, he didn't have it all that long so I don't know much about reliability/running costs.

Back
Top Bottom