Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I would still prefer a genuine wing to a replica. I know body parts are hard to spot a fake with but it's that satisfaction that you have the real deal imho.

I have thought about this sort of thing a bit and decided that it is better to save and get the real deal.

I would feel like a bit of a loser if I was trying to pass off a fake as the real deal.

Now I agree to an extent but say the J's Racing Type V bonnet I have, that thing is like £1500 and Aerokit do one that looks just as good for £500. If my £500 bonnet gets chipped or vandalised I'm annoyed but not as much as I am for my J's. Touch wood it's not happened yet but it's the first car I've had that gains a bit too much attention, but that's my fault for ricing it up.
I personally feel no satisfaction about my bonnet, maybe it's because I got it second hand I don't know, all I know is I paid £500 for something that cost the owner 1k more a year ago.

That said the Aerokit bonnet is made from scratch as per all their products, they are clearly alternatives that are similar to others but not direct copies ala Tegiwa everything.

Soldato
Its still mega expensive but if I sell it on later I think it will hold its value far better than the Tegiwa one, and the quality on this is spot on, where as I have read some questionable things about the quality of the Teg.

For anyone who thought I'd pay over a grand for an intake...I'm mad, but not that mad :p

In my time looking at Honda tuning parts, generally things look expensive to me!

Comparing parts for the FN2 to parts for the Fiesta ST I had before is interesting, if we look at exhausts, you'd expect similar pricing, both being a 2.0 4 pot engine mounted transversely in a hatchback.

Yet the Piper manifold for the FN2 is £200 more than the Piper Fiesta one. Prices are even sillier for the likes of the Toda/Mugen/Js Racing items, JDM tax aplenty there I feel. I could actually go and buy a whole stainless system inc sports cat, manifold and cat back for the Fiesta ST for less than 'just' a Toda FN2 manifold :eek:. Obviously the cost of importing on genuine Japanese tuning parts plays a part, but the 'home grown' Honda bits like exhausts from Tegiwa, TDI or CPL are all expensive when compared to similar parts for other vehicles that don't have the Type R badge of scene attached.

Intakes are all mad money - even the 'cheaper' option like the HKS RSK at £300 is madly overpriced, thats just a bit of shiny metal pipe with a couple of holes and a mushroom filter on the end essentially. The Gruppe M and Mugen ones, £800-900 retail :eek:.

Flashpro is expensive for what it is too, £700 pound or so, you can get handsets for performance Fords (Fiesta ST/Focus ST) that can be used to upload custom maps for £300-400 (Dreamscience). I think its so expensive for the FN2 because its the only product like it though...there doesn't seem to be anything else that can do what flashpro does.

I think my engine mods are going to be limited to this intake, a decent flashpro map, and perhaps a cat back exhaust, the cost to go much further gets really silly even compared to other naturally aspirated cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
Setup suspension.
Upgrade brakes.
Learn to drive.

Attempting to tune, modify and improve these engines is extremely expensive and imo a massive waste of money.

Soldato
Setup suspension.
Upgrade brakes.
Learn to drive.

Attempting to tune, modify and improve these engines is extremely expensive and imo a massive waste of money.

The engine mods I want to do are largely for sound than power gains, the K20 sounds good but has a slight hint of sewing machine in how it sounds as standard, if I compare to my Fiesta ST (admittedly that was very far from standard and sounded utterly fantastic when giving it some).

Upgraded brakes...check - already got everything, just need to fit.

Diff....waiting on delivery - getting a fully refurbed/checked MFactory LSD for £350.

Suspension...not sure where to go here, fancy ABP Bilsteins and a 10-15mmm drop and FRSU eventually, but the cost is an issue.

Learn to drive....would help :p

Soldato
I've had mine since November and still dont think I've had it long enough to know what I want to do with it yet, still dont even know how long I'll long I'll be keeping it I doubt it will be much more than a year TBH

Missing it though, been in the shop a week tomorrow :(

Soldato
I want the 9th gen sporty model, be it a Type R or Mugen whatever, it's happening. Got a deposit building up nicely, may be the first car I buy new but really I should leave it a year for the issues to iron out and bits to come out

Permabanned
Can't see any downsides to the Tegiwa EP3 intake. Identical to the Gruppe M, only difference is the name. Carbon Fibre, how bad can the quality be.

£270 I paid for mine.

Looks like I'm booking in at TDI north to get my Timing chain replaced :( Will be nice to know it won't need doing again for awhile. That could have been a new exhaust.

Man of Honour
OP
I've seen and had a play with both. The Gruppe M is in a different league. It's like buying a Tag versus getting a fake. Sure, the fake tells the time, but it's never a Tag.

Soldato
Still tells the time just as well though. I get what you're saying but it's like when kids insist on designer labels instead of something which is basically the same but made by M&S. Get past the brand whore stage with cars and save a lot.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I've seen and had a play with both. The Gruppe M is in a different league. It's like buying a Tag versus getting a fake. Sure, the fake tells the time, but it's never a Tag.

I'm genuinely interested in the difference between them, I've never seen the Gruppe M. Is the Carbon Fibre more Carbon Fibrey :) is the lip of the airbox smoother?

Last edited:
Soldato
When it comes to engine mods, function over form does it for me. How an air intake looks and feels is about as relevant to me as how a tyre tastes.

Permabanned
It feels and looks better, the weave is in a different league completely. Imagine real leather compared to fake leather.

That's ok then, I'd rather save £200-£300 than probably waiting for that slim chance of someone saying "Hey, I like that weave on your airbox" on the slim chance that I actually have my bonnet open.

Back
Top Bottom