Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
I am confused. Was looking at RJK's car the other night and he was determined they were xenons.

They looked identical to my car, which does have xenons. I know the difference between a HID kit and xenons before anyone says!

AFAIK they are projectors only. I had two facelift EP3's and they were both projectors.

Last edited:
Associate
i remember looking around lots of face lifts couple years back when i had my pre face lift and they all had projector head lights, to the untrained eye they can appear to look i suppose like xenons

Soldato
Right, done a bit of reading. they are HIDs with self levelling motors in projector housings.

I think the wording "xenon" is thrown around quite freely as it sounds cooler than "HID" to car manufacturers.

Man of Honour
OP
just checking... were they both facelifts?
lol whoops

Right, done a bit of reading. they are HIDs with self levelling motors in projector housings.

I think the wording "xenon" is thrown around quite freely as it sounds cooler than "HID" to car manufacturers.

They are not HIDs, there is no ballast at all. They are normal H4 bulbs in a projector style cluster. They don't have self levelling motors either, the ATR is the only UK Type R that does iirc.

Associate
They are not HIDs, there is no ballast at all. They are normal H4 bulbs in a projector style cluster. They don't have self levelling motors either, the ATR is the only UK Type R that does iirc.

Agreed, if they are hid then its an after market kit

Soldato
lol whoops

So they aren't xenon lights and aren't HIDs. (xenon is also a HID to make things confusing)

What are they?

My Supra had projector headlights but looked nothing like the EP3 "xenons" and they utilised H4 bulbs.

They look like xenon likes, where they use xenon gas or not, it is what they look like. Looking like a xenon would mean they would also be HID, as it would be a high intensity discharge light.

Can you understand why none of this makes any sense?

Apparently factory HIDs were an option, your cars mustn't of had this option then?

Soldato
here are two examples from autotrader of xenon equipped models

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203442243670/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/price-from/3000/model/civic/make/honda/postcode/st73px/radius/200/keywords/type_r/page/15?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204443951783/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/price-from/3000/model/civic/make/honda/keywords/type_r/radius/200/postcode/st73px/page/21?logcode=p

A quote from wikipedia

2004 saw this successful CTR updated with many improvements - revised EPS with quicker steering, revised suspension settings, projector headlamps (JDM came equipped with halogens only while the EDM came with an option for HIDs with leveling motors), lighter clutch and flywheel assembly etc.; based on Honda literature, this facelifted (FL) model was targeted at addressing customers' and critics' feedback such as understeer on the limit (due to the front Macpherson strut setup), numb steering response and lack of low end torque.

So they never had xenons at all and all of the above is wrong? Or am I missing something here.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm fairly certain Xenon's or HIDs are NOT a factory option on UK cars, only the JDM.

The adverts above will be generic dealer copy and paste ads.

I bought two Facelifts brand new, only options I had to choose from were:

A/C
Fogs
Sat Nav

Soldato
icon14.gif

Back
Top Bottom