Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Stickers are the way to go in my opinion when it comes to Mugen or Spoon.

Nice, well made parts but it's always been about paying a lot for a brand name.

Which is bad enough for most cars, but given the crazy amount of money you pay for each aftermarket bhp with Honda, it was always too much for me.

Soldato
Which Fiesta ST are we talking about?

The old one with the 2.0 Duratec engine would take silly money to take it to 220bhp, heck its £3k for the Mountune 200 kit...beyond that it starts getting even more mad. The new one is likely to be much more tunable than any naturally aspirated Honda though.

The same 1.6 ecoboost engine in the Focus can be taken to 200bhp already for less than a grand plus fitting, I'd venture 220 is possible without spending daft money (certainly cheaper than what you'd need to get a solid +40bhp over stock on an FN2, although I accept there are easier to tune iterations of the K20 engine). Although some ecoboost design features could cause headaches for aftermarket tuning beyond a certain point...things like the water jacket built around/into the exhaust manifold could well complicate turbo swaps or freer flowing exhaust systems if going for bigger power...

Back to Hondas....does anyone know why Honda tend to fit such small or low rated batteries to their cars? Cost I presume...

When I worked for Halfords, I noticed we saw a lot of Civics in for replacement batteries - and having changed many batteries on Hondas, it seems most models had batteries with relatively low CCA ratings compared to similar sized or engined vehicles from other manufacturers (e.g. a Civic 1.8 might have a 300 or 330 CCA battery, where as an equivalent engined Golf or Astra might have 440 or 460 CCA).

Soldato
Sorry should have said Fiesta ST150 rather than the new new one. I was trying to highlight how highly tuned Honda offered the Type R engine from factory, specific output for a NA car is very high. Seems I didnt make the point well enough :confused:

RE: Honda batteries.

Because the engines are small, light and low friction why do they need an oversized battery? Suprised they even went to Halfords based on the main dealer prices on batteries!

Soldato
Because the engines are small, light and low friction why do they need an oversized battery? Suprised they even went to Halfords based on the main dealer prices on batteries!

Agreed on the Halfords prices :)...but why they'd need an oversized battery, well because they simply seem to go flat more easily/often than other cars, by virtue of having a lower CCA rating?

It was extremely unscientific but based on my time (4 years) fitting batteries after a cold snap we'd *always* seem seem to get more Civics in for a battery change. than Golfs, Focus's, Astras etc. The old Rovers which were largely similar to Honda Civics (MB6 Civic and Rover 400 etc) had the same issue too...weak OEM battery for given engine size..and so poorer starting performance when left for a while, just a case of less headroom. It was obvious to the extent that everyone who worked there commented on the same thing, yet another Honda in for a new battery....

The Honda OEM batteries are specced with very low CCA rating for given engine size. You are right about the engines for some models but I still believe this is a relative weakness when comparing many Honda models to cars from other manufacturers...they cheap out on the battery.

Soldato
Its quite different, the Civic was very very annoying with the ride quality it made huge drama over the slightest bump, I thought I would get used to it but after 4 months and with the other things like getting in and out of it and the creaking/rattling I just started to get annoyed with it, why are the doors so long and the bolsters so high? Getting in and out of it in a car park makes you look a right muppet

Sitting in the Accord is like sitting in your front room, its big and comfy. It eats up bumps and pot holes but it probably is a little too soft it could do with being a little more firm, it doesnt make any noise and there isnt a rattle or squeak to be heard, the strange thing about it is it feels big and heavy when setting off but manouvering in car parks is better than the Civic. Handling is surprisingly good, turn in is excellent and grip is really good obviously its not as good as the Civic at speed but for a big barge it really is impressive

Gearbox has a slightly shorter throw on the Civic but the Accord is typical Honda and still great to change gears, the performance is there but its dumbed down, the car is so smooth and quiet that when putting your foot down you wont realise how fast you are going until you look at the speedo

a lot of it is because I'm getting on a bit, about five years plus ago I would have preffered the Civic but I've always had a soft spot for these and only bought the Civic through conveniance so its nice to have owned an FN2 for a few months but also just as nice to have gotten my money back and got the car I really wanted

This just goes to show how underrated the Accords are. Most people think there just another boring family saloon and most of the biased gutter press dismiss them. IMO as an all round car you can't beat them, they look great, comfy, safe, reliable, roomy and fun to drive, they are real gems.

The Accord you got was made in Japan so the build is going to be better than the Swindon Civic's, it also has double wishbones giving a good ride and handling, something very rare in the market and starting to disappear from Honda's, when once it was one of their trademark features. In one of the best motoring videos I think it was when they raced the 7th gen with the Integra's, where they were all praising it, one of the racers commented that the Accord with a few suspension tweaks has the potential to become a beast.

I love my old Accord, great chassis, fun when pushing it, relaxing at all other times, decent compromise between the two.

Soldato
I am really surprised with it, it impresses me more and more everytime I drive it but I do want the ride to be a little bit firmer and really want it to look slightly lower, not too much only 30mm with some eibach's or something but I am concerned they may do more harm than good

More research and driving it while its standard to identify what I want required

Soldato
has the Type-S got slightly firmer suspension vs the stock Accord ?

I assume its the 2.4 engine ? I guess its a bit lazy but torquey compared to some of the smaller DOHC Civic engines ?

Soldato
EBC?

Rather you than me, brah.

Yup, should have gone for something like Carbotech or the lovely Carbone Lorraine. Hardcore :D

All the B-series ECUs appear to be the same too with lowered 5.8k VTEC and same 9k redline across the brands.

Plug in ECU with standard map and raised limit to 9k = Pants on head retarded.

RE: Honda batteries.

It's the same thought process like many overclockers on here buying super dooper overkill PSUs E.g. 1kW

'Normal people': Errr, you're overclocked rig only draws 500W when at max load in game.
'Them': Yeah but corsair, modular, headroom for future, efficiency etc etc.
'Normal people': :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
has the Type-S got slightly firmer suspension vs the stock Accord ?

I assume its the 2.4 engine ? I guess its a bit lazy but torquey compared to some of the smaller DOHC Civic engines ?

From what I understand the pre facelift models all have the same suspension throughout the range with the optional A-Spec suspension

Facelift model Type-S is 15MM lower than all other models and again had the optional A-Spec suspension

How accurate that is I'm not sure its just what I've read, mines a facelift and I would like it a little lower

Yes its the 2.4, its lazy to start but once going you wouldnt realise you were driving such a big car with an NA engine, loads of mid range power for an NA engine and it keeps on going up to the higher revs but limits at about 7K RPM, I've not took it right to the limiter yet and probably wont do, there isnt any need

Soldato
Any of you ever had the HAMP Shortie oil filters installed on your cars? I've looked on Tegiwa and they claim to raise oil pressure? I have a normal HAMP on at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom