Type R and VTEC owners

Caporegime
Get a proper tool to remove and fit them and stop being tight.

Does the K20 need the oil filter to be tightened more than hand tight like the F20?

Don
I just fit mine hand tight, with a dab oil around the seal.

It's usually a fair struggle to get them back off. I've got one of those chain removal tools, only had to use it once so far (the first time). Rubber gloves do the trick.

This is on my B18, not K20

Caporegime
I take the roll bar off and use a filter removal tool that tightens down as you undo, works a treat then just hand tighten. Mate had the K&N on his MX5 and it looked like a nice feature for getting on and off, no idea if there's a premium/saving for him.

Don
I take the roll bar off and use a filter removal tool that tightens down as you undo, works a treat then just hand tighten. Mate had the K&N on his MX5 and it looked like a nice feature for getting on and off, no idea if there's a premium/saving for him.

I just lean in over the top, you can get your arm in there if you attack it from where the battery is.

Sometimes you need to swear a little before it will budge :cool:

Soldato

Why on earth do you do that? :p

My Way
1. Ensure engine has been on for a short while.
2. Jack up car, put on axle stands.
3. Get under with your drip tray, take out sump plug and drain oil.
4. Jack up car a little, pull out axle stands and lower car as required to get as much oil out.
5. Jack back up onto axle stands and fit sump plug back in, remove drip tray.
6. Untighten oil ftiler by hand, or if tight ram a screwdriver through and loosen.
7. Take off filter, put some new oil on seal, install tight be hand. Check tightness again.
8. Complete oil change as normal.

Soldato
Plug out whilst you take filter off aswell, lets all the oil drain back assuming you have a proper not return valve in the filter....!

I have an Aldi rubber band wrench, its awesome. Biggest pain on my insight is getting the aero undershields off.

Caporegime
My Spoon brace is right under the drain so oil ends up running along that.

Not as bad as the retarded Clio though. You have to empty the filter over the suspension to get it away from the car.

Back
Top Bottom